PDA

View Full Version : Is the Djoker programed to be # 3 forever?

DarthFed
01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Im exaggerating obviously but he's had 3 chances within the last few months with two of those chances within the past two weeks....

He lost to Tsonga in TMC..understandable Tsonga has had his number since he bested him in Melbourne last year

Losing to Gulbis was just surprising....

Today Niemenen beat him...Djoker was 2-0 against him prior to today

Is he scared of being anything higher than 3? all credit to his opponents but you'd think he'd capitalize on his chance to break Federers serve (as number 2)

Im off to bed....just been pondering this since i predicted the outcome of the Niemenen match after watching the first 3 games and i was correct in assuming Nole would lose

What are your thoughts?

veritech
01-15-2009, 11:50 PM
he did lose to tsonga, but he did end up winning the tmc.

i believe it's just a matter of time until he moves up a rank. it's inevitable.

ESP#1
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Its all in his head, he still not comfortable with his new racquet i notice that is affecting him, even if its not the racquet there is the whole psychology of it being the racquet and not you, then you start thinking about that on top of the pressure you already have and that doesnt help. at least thats the way i see it but maybe im just projecting that onto him because it happens to me

NamRanger
01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Its all in his head, he still not comfortable with his new racquet i notice that is affecting him, even if its not the racquet there is the whole psychology of it being the racquet and not you, then you start thinking about that on top of the pressure you already have and that doesnt help. at least thats the way i see it but maybe im just projecting that onto him because it happens to me

It's not the racquet. People are so uninformed. Djokovic has been using the same custom mold that he has had since he was with Head when he first joined the tour. Wilson made an exact replica, and just PJed it. I'm pretty sure Head knows how to copy their own frames -_-

msc886
01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
I feel that other players are starting to figure him out.

edmondsm
01-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Certainly would be mental, it happens. You're by yourself out there, these things go through your head. If he stays healthy I think he's a future #1.

thalivest
01-16-2009, 01:31 AM
No because I dont think he is going to remain #3 that much longer. By spring at the latest Murray will have passed him and dropped him to #4.

ac3111
01-16-2009, 01:51 AM
It seems more possible for Murray to overtake Djoker than for Djoker to overtake Federer. But the point difference between Djokovic and Murray is not small.
1. Nadal 13160
2. Federer 10700
3. Djokovic 10590
4. Murray 7190

rubberduckies
01-16-2009, 02:12 AM
It's not the racquet. People are so uninformed. Djokovic has been using the same custom mold that he has had since he was with Head when he first joined the tour. Wilson made an exact replica, and just PJed it. I'm pretty sure Head knows how to copy their own frames -_-

I believe he is actually using a different frame this time around. It's his first real change since the LM Radical.

thalivest
01-16-2009, 02:20 AM
It seems more possible for Murray to overtake Djoker than for Djoker to overtake Federer. But the point difference between Djokovic and Murray is not small.
1. Nadal 13160
2. Federer 10700
3. Djokovic 10590
4. Murray 7190

Sure but Murray has absolutely nothing to defend, even Federer has mediocre results for Federer standards to defend. Djokovic has to defend him dominance of the winter hard courts last year, and I dont like his chances to do that right now.

ac3111
01-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Murray has the momentum. Djokovic has talent but zero momentum.

Tim W
01-16-2009, 03:48 AM
I believe he is actually using a different frame this time around. It's his first real change since the LM Radical.

Same frame, different colour and logo. He said it himself in a press conference.

Bolivian Ace
01-16-2009, 06:00 AM
I don't see him climbing. Specially now with Murray, Tsonga, Del Potro, Simon, etc, etc, etc in the mix, all of them are talented, all are young. Tennis will be GREAT for all of us to watch.

random guy
01-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Djoko really miss the train last night. He could really build some momentum entering the AO as nr2. Now, even if he wins it (which would've extremely hard) the chances of overtaking Federer till like Wimbledon are small.

Bolivian Ace
01-16-2009, 06:23 AM
From Tennis.com
"In the men’s semifinals, Novak Djokovic (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Novak%20Djokovic) lost 6-4, 7-6 (3) to Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Jarkko%20Nieminen), missing another chance to move to a career-high No. 2 ranking. The 21-year-old Serbian needed to reach the final to move ahead of Roger Federer (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Roger%20Federer) in the rankings when the Australian Open starts Monday."
I rest my case!!!!!

plain jane
01-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Well it seemed like Nadal was #2 for forever and many people didn't think he would get to #1 when Djokovic seemed to peaked last year but look what happened. It is kinda the same with Murray i think. Djoko is not one of my favourites by any stretch of the imagination but i think he might get to to #2 or #1 at some point. He just needs to get settled in his game i think

Zaragoza
01-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Not surprised by his loss to Nieminen. It would have been dumb from him to go far in Sydney with the AO starting a couple of days later. He played two good matches in Sydney, that's all he needed to get ready for the AO. Seriously, title contenders should not play 4-5 hard matches the week before.

random guy
01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Well it seemed like Nadal was #2 for forever and many people didn't think he would get to #1 when Djokovic seemed to peaked last year but look what happened. It is kinda the same with Murray i think. Djoko is not one of my favourites by any stretch of the imagination but i think he might get to to #2 or #1 at some point. He just needs to get settled in his game i think

Mmm I don't know really. What kept Rafa for so many years on the trail was that he was lock for a slam (RG) every year and two or three masters series on clay. That was his home ground and from there with his good and later awesome results in Wimbledon he did make the leap. With Joker I think he has no home ground so it's really more difficult for him.

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Mmm I don't know really. What kept Rafa for so many years on the trail was that he was lock for a slam (RG) every year and two or three masters series on clay. That was his home ground and from there with his good and later awesome results in Wimbledon he did make the leap. With Joker I think he has no home ground so it's really more difficult for him.

He's good on hard but he's inconsistent.

luckyboy1300
01-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Djoko really miss the train last night. He could really build some momentum entering the AO as nr2. Now, even if he wins it (which would've extremely hard) the chances of overtaking Federer till like Wimbledon are small.

well joker might still carry a surprise at the ao. i hope not on the expense of federer though. meaning i'm not doubting his ability to reach the deeper end.

NamRanger
01-16-2009, 07:38 AM

I don't think he would be stupid enough to mess with a winning formula. Then again, I could be wrong.

veroniquem
01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Djokovic is not playing well right now but I think he will come back strong at some point. The Nieminen match was surprising, I also wondered if he could have tanked in order to save his energy for AO. I really hope for his sake that's what happened because if his game vs Nieminen was his real level, oh boy, he's in trouble!

Leublu tennis
01-16-2009, 07:48 AM
1. Nadal 13160
2. Federer 10700
3. Djokovic 10590
4. Murray 7190
How do you figure that? He is only 110 points behind Federer. He does have a real problem in having to defend 2000 point. Thats tough and he can easily lose ground. But Murray is 3400 behind. Unless he starts winning slams, Murray will have a tough time catching Djokovic.

Good thread, by the way.

DarthFed
01-16-2009, 08:12 AM
i don't believe he tanked...he's just become streaky when it matters

The only matches he's losing are ones that would directly affect his ranking

veritech
01-16-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't think he would be stupid enough to mess with a winning formula. Then again, I could be wrong.

he actually attributes his loss to gulbic in brisbane to the racquet. http://eurosport.yahoo.com/10012009/58/australian-open-djokovic-blames-racquet-form.html

i don't understand why he would make such a drastic change, considering it did bring him to #3 in the world and a slam. dumb move, really.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-16-2009, 08:22 AM
He blamed his racket for his form, it must be that :roll:

I dunno why he's been losing considering he had such great momentum after winning the Master's.

GameSampras
01-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Dunno if Djoker will reach #1 thats for sure. Still constant inconsistiency coming from old Nole. He still hasnt began to play tennis on that week in week out level. I think Murray at this point is slowly but surely overtaking Djoker as the better player. Murray is getting his head on straight, becoming mentally tougher, game is improving, while Djoker is just welll... still Djoker. He won the YEC then.. Good God, he just had to win Dubai to overtake Fed at number 2. If that shoulkdnt be motivation enough I dunno what is. Instead he gets taken out right off the bat.

NamRanger
01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
he actually attributes his loss to gulbic in brisbane to the racquet. http://eurosport.yahoo.com/10012009/58/australian-open-djokovic-blames-racquet-form.html

i don't understand why he would make such a drastic change, considering it did bring him to #3 in the world and a slam. dumb move, really.

From what I could tell, I think his racquet frame is still the same. At least it's very similar to what he normally uses. Maybe weight distribution is slightly different, but it's not anything drastic.

DarthFed
01-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Well if its the racket then it's problems are as inconsistent as Djoker therse days

He trounced PhM

He was clutch on his serve against Ancic saving like 15 BP

DJG
01-16-2009, 09:00 AM

Well, that is what we all assumed. Until he started complaining about his new stick. We didn't blame his first loss in the year loss for that, he did. Stupid messing with a winning formula, but if he indeed did...

ESP#1
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't see him climbing. Specially now with Murray, Tsonga, Del Potro, Simon, etc, etc, etc in the mix, all of them are talented, all are young. Tennis will be GREAT for all of us to watch.

I understand the argument for del potro but tsonga and simon i dont feel are a real threat to djoko, tsonga and simon have showed themselves to be less consistant than djoko and they dont even have the pressure of being at the top of the food chain, Not to mention tsongas injury prone

Beasty54
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I dont think he has the mental fortitude to be a GREAT champion like Nadal and Fed are. He often throws away matches, loses focus, and doesn't show alot of fight. But he could grow up? Who knows.

All-rounder
01-16-2009, 06:22 PM
well if novak wants to complain about his racket then he needs to change it or get use to it fast he has a title to defend in 48 hours

babbette
01-16-2009, 06:26 PM
ssure why not. 8)