PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Prince Recoil

SchreckTennis
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I strung up some Prince Recoil I got off of the bay for around $10 and put it in my Head Microgel Monster @ 57/55 lbs tension. This was my take on it:

I thought it played much, much better than everyone seems to claim. It's not really stiff like a poly and feels kind of more like a multifilament or high-quality synthetic, but it does snap back into place just as advertised. Also, it seems to have a pretty short break-in period. The first 5-6 balls I hit were aweful, but it got much better after that.

I felt that it had great spin potential- better than Wilson Super Spin. I play with a fairly flat forehand and a 2h backhand with more topspin. I don't really like hitting flat with my backhand, but with this string I had to adjust because the spin was actually too much- making my ball drop far too short or hit the white of the net too often. It seems that no matter how flat I hit it, it seems to have some spin on it-which helped my shots drop in deep. As for slices, I couldn't hit a slice that wouldn't spin drastically to the left or right after hitting on the other side- just a rediculous amount of spin. I liked it.

As for control- it could be better, especially on serves. It seems a little unpredictable at times. But, the spin that it added to the balls made up for the lack of feeling in control.

Concerning comfort, it was great. It sprung back in place like a poly, but it was very shock absorbant it seemed. After hitting overhead after overhead, neither my wrist, elbow, or shoulder felt pain.

I felt it had great power- my shots were definately flying deeper into the court and less were going long than with my previous strings- and I didn't have to provide quite as much power as I normally do to get it that deep. I did have trouble getting any good drop-shots though.

Finally, for feel... I think many people don't like the string because of the lack of feel it seems to give back to the user. But after a few balls, you get used to the lack of feel it has and just swing- and it gives you a pretty good shot without having to "feel" it.

Overall, I'd definately say this string is one of my favorites, if not my complete favorite. I heard that it retains tension pretty well, so I hope to get to play with it for much longer without having to buy a new set (due to the price), but I think it's definately worth the $10-15 price tag on the bay- but not worth the $25 price in online stores...

PROTENNIS63
01-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I think most people are just simply not happy about the fact that it costs so much. It does play pretty good but there are strings in the $10-15 range that perform just as good or better.

JediMindTrick
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I think most people are just simply not happy about the fact that it costs so much. It does play pretty good but there are strings in the $10-15 range that perform just as good or better.

There may be other multi strings that perform just as good or better but only for 1 hour or 2 at the most. Then they start to move (a lot) and the spin drops and they don't play like a fresh set of strings anymore. Recoil will feel fresh for much longer, plus it gives some of that poly-like extra spin, plus it doesn't move which for some people is not a big deal but for others is important. I think Prince has a product that many people were waiting for and they are milking this captive market.

PROTENNIS63
01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
There may be other multi strings that perform just as good or better but only for 1 hour or 2 at the most. Then they start to move (a lot) and the spin drops and they don't play like a fresh set of strings anymore. Recoil will feel fresh for much longer, plus it gives some of that poly-like extra spin, plus it doesn't move which for some people is not a big deal but for others is important. I think Prince has a product that many people were waiting for and they are milking this captive market.

Natural Gut does that and more. As a matter of fact, gut produces just as much or even more spin than some polys. And we all know natural gut is the king of strings. For the price of $25, most people will rather get Babolat Tonic ($25), Klip Legend ($26), or some of the BDE. For another $10, you can get VS which is the best of the best.