PDA

View Full Version : Klip Legend recommendations please !

Racer41c
01-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Wow, I've read so many posts on this subject, but I still don't feel like I know what to try first, here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a Prince O3 Tour (Ozone actually) with PSGD from the factory. Using my calibrated left thumb I would say the tension is around 60 lbs.

This setup provides an overly soft feel, very low power (not in a good way) and there's just no pop. I'd also like to step up the spin but I don't think this will be an issue with this frame.

Here's are my questions:

1. If I string a full job of Legend 16, what tension would you recommend?

2. If you recommend a hybrid, what would the other string be? and how would you set that up? I'm totally in the dark on why the gut would go in the mains or not go in the mains. The other thing I'm wondering about is if Gut far out-lasts a Syn or Multi, then isn't the setup going to go away prematurely?

Thanks for your help ahead of time!

Hey, Moe!
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I've used a setup with Legend 17 in the mains and Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 in the crosses. I settled on 59 pounds for the Legend, with the Pro Hurricane at 54, in my Volkl Tour 8. The strings in this setup don't move much, so I got really good durability, certainly better than any multi I have tried lately.

If stringing a full job of Legend, I would string the whole racquet a couple of pounds tighter than ususal, probably close to the high end of the recommended tension range.

Hope this helps.

origmarm
01-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Wow, I don't think I've heard anyone describe PSGD as soft before.

If you think that is soft then string the Legend higher in a full job, probably at least 60lbs given your info. If you hybrid with it use a 16g or maybe a 17g if you don't break much. If you go full I would recommend the 17g or even the 18g. The 18g feels very different from the 17g for some reason (i.e. more than just a gauge change imo). Personally I find a full job of Legend amongst my favourite setups, it's gut but has more stiffness to it than VS for example and a different feel.

I tried one Cyberflash 17 mains hybrid with it and was very happy. Cyber went dead before I broke the gut. Overall a good cross imo.

The_Question
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Prince Syn Gut Duraflex is a pretty soft syn gut...

robkat
01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
When I use Klip Legend in a hybrid or in a full string bed, I always increase tension by 2 lbs over what I usually string a syn gut.

origmarm
01-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Prince Syn Gut Duraflex is a pretty soft syn gut...

I've always thought it the "crispest" or "stiffest" syn gut there was. Just goes to show how everyone is different I guess

Racer41c
01-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I guess my opinion of PSGD is a relative one for what it's worth.

Looks like I'll have to decide between a full job and a hybid, but in any case I'll go towards the higher end of the tension range on the gut. But since the gut is expensive what I might do is string some PSGM or NXT first, since I have a lot more experice with those strings, I don't think PSGD is giving me a good baseline.

Thanks for the replies. :-?

samster
I've always thought it the "crispest" or "stiffest" syn gut there was. Just goes to show how everyone is different I guess

I agree, it was the stiffest syngut I ever used and I didn't like it.

hoodjem
Here are the stiffness ratings for PSGD. Soft strings tend to be from 160 and below to natural gut which rates between 100-120.

Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 15L 209
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 16 213
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 17 212
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 18 203

When I tried PSGD 18 gauge, it was certainly not soft, in my opinion, not crisp either, just hard and too mobile with no feel.

Pretty useless overall IMO; I cut it out right away.

origmarm
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Here are the stiffness ratings for PSGD. Soft strings tend to be from 160 and below to natural gut which rates between 100-120.

Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 15L 209
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 16 213
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 17 212
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 18 203

When I tried PSGD 18 gauge, it was certainly not soft, in my opinion, not crisp either, just hard and too mobile with no feel.

Pretty useless overall IMO; I cut it out right away.

Never seen it in numbers before. What does a typical poly come out as out of interest to put it in context? Something like ALU Power as it's well known, Cheers, Orig

Valjean
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
See here, then: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

hoodjem
01-19-2009, 09:23 AM
VJ's link will let you see for yourself.

Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power 125 is 242. (The softest full poly seems to be Bab Pro Hurricane 18 gauge at 187.)

I think most polys are in the 220-290 stiffness range.

origmarm
01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks Valjean and Hoodjem, interesting to see numbers put to a "feel" if that makes sense. A bookmark I think

Edit: That really puts PSGD in context, it's stiffer than some polys! To think that I'd used it as a cross beforehand (actually right now!) thinking "that'll soften it up a bit" :)

Lefty78
01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Great link Valjean! Enlightening and useful. Thanks!

As per Racer's question about hybrid setup, most players who hybrid use a poly in the mains and a gut or multi in the crosses. This is the preferential setup for control from the baseline (in my opinion). Using the opposite (poly in the crosses) provides more feel and is better for touch and all court play, as well as being somewhat more arm friendly. It doesn't allow quite as much control on the groundies though (again my opinion). Federer and Djokovic are among those who use the latter setup, fyi. Hope this helps.

Azzurri
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I agree, it was the stiffest syngut I ever used and I didn't like it.

It was in a PT 280 I just attained and I don't like it either. Will be cutting it out and trying another syn gut.

Azzurri
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
See here, then: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

This is a good list to help choose a string relative to another in terms of its stiffness. Thanks VJ.:)