PDA

View Full Version : Is Djoker the next Marat Safin?

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a feeling that he will be the next Safin.

There are many similarities in their game style, only Novak is more top spin oriented.

Oh, and Novak doesn't destroy his racquets as often (has he ever?)

But, the inconsistency is where I see the resemblance.

Beasty54
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Could happen. I sure hope so because I kinda dont like the Djoker. Doesn't have the right mentality.

Element54
01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Ouch that harsh

tudwell
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
His peaks will never be as high and his troughs will never be as low. But in the past few months he has been the least consistent of the top 4.

veritech
01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
i hope not. talent is a terrible thing to waste.

adams_1
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I have a feeling that he will be the next Safin.

There are many similarities in their game style, only Novak is more top spin oriented.

Oh, and Novak doesn't destroy his racquets as often (has he ever?)

But, the inconsistency is where I see the resemblance.

Saw him crack one in the Jarkko match. It bounced quite high.

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Saw him crack one in the Jarkko match. It bounced quite high.

OOOOOOO, any vids?

Ronny
01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
OMG...stop making threads about this. Its only just the beginning of the season and hes still getting used to his new racquets. Wait till around FO time, and if hes still performing poorly then you can say hes in a slump. Its waaaay too early to call him the next 'Safin'.

Fee
01-16-2009, 08:07 PM
People are taking this match today seriously? Didn't he tank this? I didn't see the whole thing, but honestly I wasn't surprised by the result.

No, Novak will not be the next Safin, for many reasons. He may not win as many slams, as hard as that is to admit.

flyer
01-16-2009, 08:11 PM
the only similarity in their games is that they are both all-court players, other than that they have very different games and completely different mentalities....djoker not the next safin

TheMusicLover
01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh, come on! Much too early to say so.
Djoko will surely come around and deliver the goods at the AO - at least I think so!

rommil
01-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Even if Djokovic ends up winning 6 Slams he will never be Safin. Marat has his own issues but he's just cooler than cool. Djokovic is more consistent but he's just cheesy as hell.

oranges
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
What an insult to Marat.

grafrules
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Djokovic is way overrated. He will achieve similar things in his career to what Safin do (eg- 2 slam titles, 4 slam finals, 4 different years ending in the top 5) but unlike the amazingly talented Safin people wont think he underachieved all that much either. Nor will he produce performances that are etched in peoples memories forever like Safin's matches vs Sampras at 00 US Open and Federer at the 05 AO.

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Even if Djokovic ends up winning 6 Slams he will never be Safin. Marat has his own issues but he's just cooler than cool. Djokovic is more consistent but he's just cheesy as hell.

Agreed, Safin is just smooth.

What an insult to Marat.

Hahahahahahaha

Djokovic is way overrated. He will achieve similar things in his career to what Safin do (eg- 2 slam titles, 4 slam finals, 4 different years ending in the top 5) but unlike the amazingly talented Safin people wont think he underachieved all that much either. Nor will he produce performances that are etched in peoples memories forever like Safin's matches vs Sampras at 00 US Open and Federer at the 05 AO.

My top 2 favorite players going at it in a classic match!

Dilettante
01-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Djokovic is way overrated.

I like Marat, like his game and the guy, but Safin is the one who is way, way overrated on these boards.

Djokovic already won a slam and he could win another in the future, he has the tools and he's still young.

TennisandMusic
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I like Marat, like his game and the guy, but Safin is the one who is way, way overrated on these boards.

Djokovic already won a slam and he could win another in the future, he has the tools and he's still young.

You mean like Marat in 2000?

Anyway I don't think Djokovic has as much talent. I still don't see where all the past number 1 talk came from. The guy is an ok player, but I just don't see it yet.

ShcMad
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
What an insult to Marat.

Muhahahha. Well said.

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
You mean like Marat in 2000?

Anyway I don't think Djokovic has as much talent. I still don't see where all the past number 1 talk came from. The guy is an ok player, but I just don't see it yet.

When you say past number one, are you talking about Marat in the past, or how Djoker was "gonna be" no. 1 in 2008?

moonbat
01-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Well said. Safin at his best was a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. The rest of the time he was just a thing of beauty.

welcome2petrkordaland
01-17-2009, 01:10 AM
i sincerely hope not for djokovic's sake and i'm not a joker fan really.

safin, although he won 2 slams and had some results (and I totally empathize with and factor in his knee problems and subsequent loss of mobility), is

THE WORST WASTE OF TENNIS TALENT . . . EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT A SHAME!!

Marcelo Rios, eat your heart out; Marat is wasted talent to the tenth power.

(not sayin he's not hugely sought after by the ladies . . . but in pure tennis terms)

Telepatic
01-17-2009, 04:49 AM
What an insult to Marat.

What an insult to Novak.

dr325i
01-17-2009, 05:50 AM

Another genius...
I guess that is why he's been #3 for over a year now...

dr325i
01-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Completely agree.
Safin is not the caliber of a player to be even mentioned or compared with Novak. He had a short peak and his Russian (or Slavic) mentality killed his potential... Never did or will peak again.
Novak has already achieved and held on to Safin's peak...

Safin's way overrated...

oranges
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
What an insult to Novak.

Without even delving into tennis at all, let's just say I'm under the impression he'd give his left arm to be liked as much ;) It doesn't work that way, though

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Way too early for such talk. IMO, Novak is a talent. He's going through a sophomore slump. He has the heart and desire, something Safin lacked in the same phase of his career. As I recall Safin was partying big time after his first grand slam win. I like Safin a lot, he's a real cutie pie, but I don't see the same drive and mentality as Novak.

Insult to Novak!

NamRanger
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Way too early for such talk. IMO, Novak is a talent. He's going through a sophomore slump. He has the heart and desire, something Safin lacked in the same phase of his career. As I recall Safin was partying big time after his first grand slam win. I like Safin a lot, he's a real cutie pie, but I don't see the same drive and mentality as Novak.

Insult to Novak!

He has given up more times than I can count. He's not exactly what we call the epitome model of heart and desire.

egn
01-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Wow this is 2000 all over again, Safin won a slam and had the tools to win another one oh man..

Completely agree.
Safin is not the caliber of a player to be even mentioned or compared with Novak. He had a short peak and his Russian (or Slavic) mentality killed his potential... Never did or will peak again.

Safin's way overrated...

Safin has done more than Novak as of now.

2 Slams vs. 1 Slam
#1 Ranking...make that #2 ranking vs. #3 ranking
Novak has not done what Safin has done.

Cup8489
01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Completely agree.

Safin's way overrated...

you have something against slavs? i don't like your tone here.

i think safin was more talented, but djokovic wants number one more than safin ever did. that being said, both seem to be headcases a bit. but i do like parts of the djokovic game.

tenniscp
01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Completely agree.

Safin's way overrated...

Serbiana are Slavs and on top of that are Christian Orthodox, just like Russians. So if Safin is a case of Slavic desease, Djokovic is not at all safe.

pound cat
01-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Well said. Safin at his best was a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. The rest of the time he was just a thing of beauty.

Nicely put.

Safin was #1 when he was 20. Djokovic hasn't done that.

bertiefactor
01-18-2009, 08:16 AM
those two guys have contrasting personalities.

one is stubborn the other has a temper problem

David L
01-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Completely agree.

Safin's way overrated...
Djokovic is talented, but Safin was a much bigger prospect when he made his mark on the scene, dismantling Sampras in the US Open final and achieving the No.1 ranking by age 20. Granted, he has not achieved as much as people were projecting (which is the point of this thread), but his calibre next to Djokovic is not in question. The h2h currently stands at 2-0 in Safin's favour.

Ocean Drive
01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I swear, people don't even know anything about Marat's health over the years, it's apparently all down to his mentality...same old ****.

SmAsH999
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
djokovic may be better behaved on-court than safin, but when he's down, his game goes downhill (in most cases).

Leublu tennis
01-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Right on! There is only one Marat.

GameSampras
01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Career wise I sure hope not.. Though Djoker could definitely head down that road. Another guy with lack of mental toughness and loses focus throughout the course of the season

pound cat
01-18-2009, 02:39 PM
those two guys have contrasting personalities.

one is stubborn the other has a temper problem

I can't figure out who you mean has what problem. IMO Safin has both problems. As his coaches about stubborn. Temper we know.

David L
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Who remembers this?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=62Igy3zDyL0&fmt=18

ceberus
01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Well Djoker will never produce matches like Safin did against Fed in the 05 semi. Oh man that was the best tennis match I ever saw

Tony48
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Novak's haters think that he's the next Safin. How shockingly original. :rolleyes:

NamRanger
01-19-2009, 09:16 PM
LOL. Djokovic more talented than Safin. That's a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrVuT08Gccs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbj-d8rt7GA

The second one is a post prime Safin, on his worst surface, after his injury has severely hampered his movement. Please. Safin in his prime would CRUSH Djokovic as bad as he did in the 1st video.

oneleggedcardinal
01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
What an insult to Marat.

Quoted for truth.

Noveson
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
OMG...stop making threads about this. Its only just the beginning of the season and hes still getting used to his new racquets. Wait till around FO time, and if hes still performing poorly then you can say hes in a slump. Its waaaay too early to call him the next 'Safin'.

Hah a Kblade user that wears the CC genius. Funny how those fall together.

mimi77
01-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Safin is very very attractive, Novak not so much

Aggro
01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
What an insult to Marat.

I agree, Joke boy is nothing like Safin - i would still choose to watch Safin than most people on the atp.

bluetrain4
01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
It will be interesting what happens to Djoker now that Murray is clearly a Slam contender. He has the talent to continue rising and win more Slams, even reach No. 1. But, he could fade back as well. I realize that Murray is unproven inthat he hasn't won a Slam. But, I think most of us agree that he was the game, the attitude, and the work ethic.

GameSampras
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
So Safin could have a few great matches out of his butt every few years (most notably USO 00, Aussie 05).. BIG DEAL. Whats the point of having all that talent if you dont utilize it and incorporate it with other things.

End of the day... Djoker will have a far suprerior career than Safin. No one could possibly could be on Safin's level in terms of inonsistency while having all the talent at the same time aside from Nalbandian

gj011
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
What an insult to Marat.

Take you sour grapes somewhere else.

gj011
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
So Safin could have a few great matches out of his butt every few years (most notably USO 00, Aussie 05).. BIG DEAL. Whats the point of having all that talent if you dont utilize it and incorporate it with other things.

End of the day... Djoker will have a far suprerior career than Safin. No one could possibly could be on Safin's level in terms of inonsistency while having all the talent at the same time aside from Nalbandian

Agreed. I know one thing. At the end of his career Djokovic will have more GS titles than Safin.

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Agreed. I know one thing. At the end of his career Djokovic will have more GS titles than Safin.
lets see about that. Novaks era consists of Nadal and Murray, and both of them are superior tennis players than novak.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I guess this was a troll post but No, thus far Djoker is not another Safin. Thank goodness for that.

Unlike Safin, Djoker has shown only steady if not marked improvement from 2006 to present.

Safin OTH took a nose dive when he declined to accept the baton and the pressure of being #1 by 2001 and went in the first of several tanks the year after his first Major Final.

Who knows maybe Djoker goes in a similar tank after this but thus far comparing each and their first four respective years on tour Djoker appears clearly and solidly ahead.

Talent is one thing but there are other elements that go into being a champion. Safin, sadly lacked most of them. Whether you are his most rabid fan or not, together we all waited, waited and then waited some more for Safin to realize the most of his potential and talent. In the end I was disappointed.

I give him credit for one thing though, getting more mileage out of the two great matches he played in an 11 year career than any other player I can think of in history.

PCXL-Fan
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Okay quite possibly, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Djokovic hasn't done enough to prove by the end of his career, he will be one of the 15 best players in the history of tennis, and in the past you've often times come across in your post suggesting that he is destined to achieve a level of greatness along of that magnitude.

GameSampras
01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Lets be realistic here guys.. Safin only has 2 slams. Its not like he has 8 slams. Djoker already has 1. No way Djoker stays on 1 slam or wins only two the rest of his career. Unless he has a career threatening injury. Djoker may not be the most consistent guy on tour but he is far more consistent than Safin ever was. Once Fed retires that will open up some doors for alot of the top guys as well. I would expect, Del Potro, Murray, Djoker, maybe Tsonga all have at least one slam,. I would expect Djoker to get AT LEAST 2 MORE at the very least. He may not be on fed, nadal cconsistency level but good enough to be a threat everywheres and I expect him to improve

gj011
01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
lets see about that. Novaks era consists of Nadal and Murray, and both of them are superior tennis players than novak.

Well, Nadal hasn't been superior player than Novak on hardcourts, and two out of 4 slams are played on that surface. Also, Murray is currently in better form no question about it, but has done nothing so far to prove that he is superior player.

As you said, we will see.

gj011
01-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Okay quite possibly, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Djokovic hasn't done enough to prove by the end of his career, he will be one of the 15 best players in the history of tennis, and in the past you've often times come across in your post suggesting that he is destined to achieve a level of greatness along of that magnitude.

When did I say anything like that?
Winning more than two GS titles < 15. best player in the history of tennis.

oranges
01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Take you sour grapes somewhere else.

What sour grapes, that he beat him twice? Man, you're really pathetic.

gj011
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
What sour grapes, that he beat him twice? Man, you're really pathetic.

You know very well what sour grapes. And after comments like these you should not be talking about pathetic.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
You know very well what sour grapes. And after comments like these you should not be talking about pathetic.

The rabid Djokovic fan strikes once again.

zagor
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I consider Safin to be the more talented player but I think Djokovic will end up with a better career overall.Although on the other hand,who could have thought that after his demolition of Sampras in 2000 USO final Safin would win only one more slam in his career? Tennis can be very unpredictable and maybe Djokovic will have trouble with injuries and motivation like Safin but as I said my personal opinion is that he'll end up having a better career than Marat.

oranges
01-21-2009, 06:00 AM

Enlighten me, I was actually polite not to say Marat humiliated him the two times they met :roll:
It obviously needs to be drawn to you, so here you go : The OP was obviously implying just the inconsistency part, but when you say new Marat, that is not the first thing that pops into my mind. Most of those who responded got it. A new Marat means someone with similar charisma AND talent. Joker can break Pete's record by winning all the slams in a row for all I care, I just don't want him compared to a legend that is Marat. Clearer now?