PDA

View Full Version : the future of men's tennis

tacou
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
whenever someone mentions Murray, Tsonga, Gasquet, Gulbis, Del Potro etc. winning a slam, most critics say they lack the consistency.

so I'm wondering, in 3-4 years when Federer is [mostly] out of the picture and Nadal is [possibly] burned out, who is going to be winning all the slams?

even if Nadal is still in shape he'll definitely only be a threat on the natural surfaces, so whose going to be picking up the 2012 and on slams??

Beasty54
01-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Pete Sampras, out of retirement.

Or realistically there are several possiblities. I still think Fed could be around. I think that Nishikori could be a factor, along with Querrey.

Gugafan
01-16-2009, 03:50 PM
whenever someone mentions Murray, Tsonga, Gasquet, Gulbis, Del Potro etc. winning a slam, most critics say they lack the consistency.

so I'm wondering, in 3-4 years when Federer is [mostly] out of the picture and Nadal is [possibly] burned out, who is going to be winning all the slams?

even if Nadal is still in shape he'll definitely only be a threat on the natural surfaces, so whose going to be picking up the 2012 and on slams??

Why do people keep putting Murray in the same bracket as the players mentioned. I would understand, had he only produced a lone GS final result (Gonzo, Baghdatis etc) but the fact is he has dominated the top players at Masters Series events. To say Murray is inconsistent is absurd, when infact he has been the most consistent player since the American hard court swing.

Murrays game has evolved alot more then any of the top three post Wimbledon. I believe his work-ethic is second to none, which should help him in his quest of being the new dominant force in mens tennis.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Seeing how diverse the field is, I don't see one player becoming Fed-like. I see everyone really fighting for a Slam title.

tacou
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Why do people keep putting Murray in the same bracket as the players mentioned. I would understand, had he only produced a lone GS final result (Gonzo, Baghdatis etc) but the fact is he has dominated the top players at Masters Series events. To say Murray is inconsistent is absurd, when infact he has been the most consistent player since the American hard court swing.

Murrays game has evolved alot more then any of the top three post Wimbledon. I believe his work-ethic is second and none, which should help him in his quest of being the new dominant force in mens tennis.

I agree, that's sort of my point. I'm curious to see where people think the game is going. I personally see Murray dominating the HC slams over the next few years unless Gulbis gets his head together.

FiveO
01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
What people forget is that during Hewitt's short stint at #1, Federer had been placed by many in the same category as Safin, to wit: a talented headcase.

So it's hard to predict who will find the drive, heart and work ethic strong enough to maximize their talents. Many don't have that potential, others are happy with their Ferrari and without the pressure of being "the guy".

Impossible to say.