PDA

View Full Version : In 2009, Who Would You Want To Play A "For Fun" Private 3-Set Match With?

itisgregory
01-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I have often thought about who I would want to play a private best of 3-set match with in a casual "fun" atmosphere at a tennis facility of my choice. This is fantasy so money is no object and you can play on ANY court in the world.

There is no audience unless you want to invite friends. The Pro-Player can only invite who you approve of. In other words, this is YOUR day to be exactly how YOU want it.

There is only one rule. The Pro-Player MUST play to win and not "give" points away AND I must REALLY try to win as many points as possible.

Yes, I know, the Pro will demolish me in straight sets. I don't care. I just want to feel the moment that goes with playing a top world class player.

I am one of these people who do not get embarrassed or self-conscious so I can easily see myself doing this.

JeMar
01-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I was torn between Federer and McEnroe, but ended up going with Johnny Mac.

beckham
01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
WHERES MURRAY -thanks

Tnsguy25
01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Nadal, to see if I could even hit one of his topspin forehands without the use of a ladder; Roddick, to see if I could get my racquet on one of his first serves or Federer, just to see how he would dissect my game.

Hard choice, I can't choose just one :)

SirBlend12
01-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Probably Fed or Mac.

Fed because I would want to actually experience the forehand and try to analyze it (actually being on the receiving end is different than seeing it on TV).

Mac because of the intensity and for the fact that it would mostly be both at net gunning volleys until he wins the point (I could probably hope to get 1/20 points played if I S&V'ed my heart out and was having a very on day... maybe that's even pushing it...).

Would be quite cool, though.

Tennis_Monk
01-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I play Roger, Rafael on a daily basis. Djoker and Murray arent even in the same zipcode as i am. I havent played Borg yet. Though i am not too keen on playing him may be just for variety i might try him.

veroniquem
01-16-2009, 08:16 PM
In my fantasy world, I ask Rafa and tell him I'll give him a free game to start just so he won't get embarrassed at being taken to the woodshed by a girl. First he can't stop laughing but once we start playing, he just cannot believe how virtually impossible it is to score a point against me, he just had no idea girls could be that strong :wink:

SourStraws
01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Johnny Mac!....... My favourite player =)

S.S.

norbac
01-16-2009, 08:24 PM
McEnroe of course.

scraps234
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
john mac lol

veroniquem
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
john mac lol
You are so eager to get yelled at?

Leelord337
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I picked andy roddick because i wanna try to get his serve back :)

i would also like to hit w/fabrice santoro (oh i almost hit w/ernests gulbis in real life, he said he would hit w/us after his doubles match the next day, i could've held him up to it but didn't)

SourStraws
01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
You are so eager to get yelled at?

Heck yea, dude.... lol

S.S.

JohnS
01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I choose blake only because I would be the first person to choose him so then he would pick me out of the crop based on first impressions! lol

Anyway, from the list, I could go with either Nada, Federer, Djokovic, Blake, or Rafter because they seem like guys who would actually want to have fun and get to know me better on and off the court. They seem more social than the likes of McEnroe and Courier would would just play the 3 sets to get it over with and move on to the next event.

EPaps
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I would like to play Roger Federer on my hometown court :)

adams_1
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Federer, but with Andre a very very close second.

Against either one, the only thing i'd ever hit is my own serve. Every other ball would be straight past me.

EndLy
01-16-2009, 08:55 PM
i would love to play with federer... see how he plays probably get some tips :D haha .. on a side note .. why isn't sampras on teh poll?

Beasty54
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Borg :)

on FO Stadium court.
Philip Chatrie?

I would loop that old mans topspin right back until he died from exhaustion.

ESP#1
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
How Rafter make the cut but not Sampras, anyway id choose Federer or Henin, with Ivanovic and Nadal right behind them or maybe the other way around hard to choose

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Gisela Dulko and Maria Kirilenko v.s Me and Anna Kournikova

:D

roundiesee
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Fabrice Santoro at Roland Garros of course! I'll ask him to teach me how to hit my forehand like a left handed backhand slice, and to show me how to hit all those spins and angles! :)

Leelord337
01-16-2009, 11:09 PM
^^^i would take them in beach volleyball over tennis

JeMar
01-17-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm a pretty decent 4.5 player and was able to hit with Andy Roddick once after a St. Louis Aces match once (I think) two summers before he won the U.S. Open. I asked him to serve to me how he'd serve in a real match and wasn't able to even touch his serve on the first four points he served out.

I then asked him to call out the serve before he hit it and went 2/4 in even touching the ball. One of those four was more about self-preservation than anything else when he hit a twist serve down the T and it almost took my head off.

I can't imagine that being all that interesting for two sets.

matchmaker
01-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Why isn't Sampras on the list?

yemenmocha
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Why isn't Sampras on the list?

Exactly, or Edberg, or Becker. Baseline bias in the game today even here in these innocent threads... :cry:

Nanshiki
01-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Agassi, because he's probably the nicest guy on the list.

I don't think I want to get pelted by a 140 MPH serve or play with someone who always has such a serious face on...

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd play Mauresmo so I could say I got a win or gave a former #1 a run for their money.

itisgregory
01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I meant to put Sampras and not Rafter.

itisgregory
01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
I meant to list Sampras instead of Rafter

itisgregory
01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
I picked Agassi for the same reason. I met him and his wife Graf In April 2007, Houston, TX at West Side Tennis Center. They played a fun charity event to raise money for local school children.

Agassi and Graf had to hold hands to play against some kids. Agassi hit Graf in the lip and she had to have stiches.

itisgregory
01-17-2009, 03:10 PM
She may lean the other way but she id hot.

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Rafael Nadal on Clay! My plan is simple yet effective: outrally him from the baseline by hitting crosscourt and if possible trying to keep the rally fh to fh which would surely benefit me since I have a forehand almost as good as McEnroe's. And of course, I would want to play in Philipp Chatrier and I would order Nadal to invite his best Spanish fans.

Now wouldn't you agree that's the only way for me to stand a chance?

matchmaker
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Well, I'd think I would fancy a match against Becker, Federer or Sampras on clay.

itisgregory
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Looks like Federer is the clear winner!

SORRY people for having a big brain lapse by not including Sampras. Rafter should not have been on the list.

peter
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Hmm... It would have to be a player that it would be "fun" to play against, ie, someone that would be able to play "down" to your own lousy self. Preferably one that can hit fun and varied shots so you can have a fun time.

(If one could choose really freely I would have chosen Santoro)

Nadal, Agassi, Courier and Borg would be the first I would remove from the list since even though they are really great players but with a boring grinding playing style.

Roddick and Rafter I would remove too (how fun would boom-boom-tennis be?)

That leaves Federer, Djokovic, Blake and McEnroe.

Blake goes next (nice player, but.. I just dunno).

McEnroe is a leftie. I can't play lefties :-)

Federer vs Djokovic. Hmm.. Ah well. I'd go for Federer!

Lendl and Federer Fan
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I want to play Nadal on hardcourt, he would regret pounding those loopy topspins to my 1HBH. I can hit a down the line BH winner on the run almost everytime since I practice with the ball machine. :twisted:

edberg505
01-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Hmm, this is a tough one, I don't want to be hit off the court and I'd like to play someone that I think I'd have some pretty good points with; having said that I would have to say Murray.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
01-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Rafa on Clay!!!!!

ksbh
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I voted Andy Roddick, only because Jo Willy wasn't on the list!

cknobman
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Id love to play any of them because they are all wonderful athletes but if only given one choice it would be my favorite player Federer.

vbranis
01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I would like to play El Aynaoui. He likes to have fun and I'd maybe win a game by exploiting his weak BH.

He once played an additional set with a German qualifier after beating him easily because he wanted the crowd to see more tennis. Then he played some mini-tiebreaks with some ball kids. Nice guy, I think playing would be FUN (the keyword here).

Sure, I'd like to play a current great player like Nadal or Federer, but I'll get badly whooped. Also, long rallies would be impossible with them. Not what I call fun.

Lotto
01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Roger Federer. Centre Court Wimbledon, everybody I know there! It would be the most amazing experience EVER!! To play your idol, your hero! It would just be, out of this world, on your favourite surface(favourite but the only one I've never played on lol) on centre court at your closest and favourite tournament. Amazing!

Toxicmilk
01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Roddick. See if I can even have my racquet touch his serves...Pretty funny guy too. I'd be interested in playing with Kei Nishikori...as I'm nearly as old as he is....

on a side note...
Less tennis related "for fun matches": Dementieva, Ivanovic....

DoubleDeuce
01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Interesting to see Agassi in equal grounds with Nadal.

Also suprised to see Nole got only 4 so far...since it's fun match he could do lots of imitations for you and family :)

still one vote for Nadal is too many... he doesnt understand fun while in court, you would probably walk off the court gun-shy.

Mansewerz
01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Federer, Safin, Edberg

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Ivan Lendl or Michael Stich.

GPB
01-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Cibulkova. :)

oscar_2424
01-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Vaidisova or Ivanovic.

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Vaidisova or Ivanovic.
Or both at the same time? :)

0d1n
01-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Vaidisova or Ivanovic.

How about Vaidisova AND Ivanovic??
Nah ... I'd take Kirilenko, Benesova, Dementieva before those other two :).
Maybe with a touch of Sania Mirza in between.

After 3 sets ... we might even play some tennis ;)

viktorkwan
01-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Me & Gisela Dulko vs Maria Kirilenko & Anna Kournikova in the 1st set,

Me & Kirilenko vs Dulko & Kournikova in the 2nd,

Me & Kournikova vs Dulko & Kirilenko in the 3rd.

TheTruth
01-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Interesting to see Agassi in equal grounds with Nadal.

Also suprised to see Nole got only 4 so far...since it's fun match he could do lots of imitations for you and family :)

still one vote for Nadal is too many... he doesnt understand fun while in court, you would probably walk off the court gun-shy.

Ha ha ha. That was funny!