PDA

View Full Version : Mishitting/Framing kick serve too much

Ballinbob
01-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Title pretty much says all. I've started working on my kick serve more and its been getting much better. But today I played the #1 singles at our school in a friendly match, and I know he has trouble with high balls to his backhand (he has a 1hbh). Anyway, I had some nasty shanks and mishits that sent the serve over the fence. It was really embarrassing, like they weren't going anywhere close to the service box. What's the most common reason for this? I mean its weird... I'll hit a perfect kick serve to the backhand for 3 points in a row, then I'll shank it and the ball goes 50ft into the air. Its breaking down my confidence too. My serve is something that I can rely on (especially my kick serve), and when I see it going 3 courts over i start putting down myself....

Thanks for your help guys

Noaler
01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
I'd say the toss, actually, definitly the toss. I usually just slow down if that happens and then respeed my serve

mg.dc
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I've two suggestions. In the first place, don't drop your head/gaze too quickly. In the second place, when you're about to explode toward the ball, visualize hitting it from 7 to 1 or even 8 to 2.

10s talk
01-16-2009, 07:28 PM
you are taking your eye off the ball..... trust me I had the same problem at your age

focus on the contact point for a .5 second longer

Ballinbob
01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
thanks guys. Looks like taking my eyes of the ball is the problem then, never thought of that. I'll try and see if there's any coloration with the toss and shanks too. Hopefully I can fix this and stop embarrassing myself lol, its really annoying..

ZPTennis
01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
thanks guys. Looks like taking my eyes of the ball is the problem then, never thought of that. I'll try and see if there's any coloration with the toss and shanks too. Hopefully I can fix this and stop embarrassing myself lol, its really annoying..

yep. as they said above. thats the most common reason for this. Exagerate looking at the point of contact even after you've already hit the ball. Federer is one of the best examples of following this good habit.

Mansewerz
01-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Man, why are you complaining? I've gotten sick spin off the shanks :D

Most likely the toss.

And you know what's embarrassing? Taking lessons w/ a coach, and while serving, hitting the ball with the frame (no, not even a kick serve) 3 times in a row onto the next court. Fast forward a year, same coach, same player, better serve, but.....I whiffed on a serve......twice.......in a row.....then I shanked 2.....but not in a row.

Captain Tezuka
01-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Many of the answers here are of gr8 important combined with my answer. It'll fix or at least reduce the number per game to 0-1 misshits shanks whateva.
1. The toss practise tossing when you have time hopefully evey day so that it is more consistent you probably have that down but consistent practise is good and the pros serve double faults by miss-placement off their ball toss.
2. The second error is the head and/or arm down syndrome it gets every1 except the pros mostly. The premature dropping of your hitting arm or head causes the whole body to follow thus shank or fault/double fault.
3. Constently monitoring the ball. The most dreaded phrase in junior tennis: "Keep your eyes on the ball!" So keep looking at the ball during before and after the toss. Important point look at the ball in mid air at contact and then while you follow thru till it hits the opponents racket and then you'll be in gr8 shape to return the ball. :lol:

kelz
01-17-2009, 01:32 AM
It happens, you'll correct yourself if you keep practising.

a_2c+
01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
either's it's the toss...or you're not watching the ball all the way.

watch the ball all the way thru....until you can bear it no more :-P

LeeD
01-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Problem with having a good serve is you just take it for granted over time, and not stay with the basics. Basic #1 is watch the ball.
And embrace this..... dat udder dude CANNOT hit the ball anywhere until you have hit your to him !!

thejoe
01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Shanks are your friends. I sometimes get it off the top of the frame, and it will fly literally 50 feet into the air, and it turns into a drop serve.

BullDogTennis
01-17-2009, 06:52 PM
your probably looking away. my coach always said know where your hitting BEFORE you ever toss the ball, and then there is NO reason to look away from the ball when your hitting it.

you could also be dropping your shoulder a bit, and selfconciously realizing it and trying to fix it last second, causing a miss hit.

it of course could be your toss, and your having to reajust to where you threw it causing a miss hit.