PDA

View Full Version : LUXILON BIG BANGER, first time user...

pabletion
01-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I fell for it, bought a set of Luxilon BB Alu Power... All this talk about them, well I had to try them. Before that, I was using a cheap hybrid composed of Gosen Polylon Ice 17g as mains, and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g as crosses. Ive been using my two racquets, one with my original setup, and the other one with Luxilon on mains and OG Sheep on crosses. My thoughts: I like Luxilon, at first couldnt see a huge difference, I thought my serves were going faster, and my groundstrokes too, but initially thought that it was because this frame was strung with less tension. Ive heard it gets better after a while, and I think it feels better now. I played yesterday with my old setup, and today with the Luxi setup. Tension is about the same on both sticks, and yes, Luxilon feels softer than the Poly Ice, feels more powerful, and I generate more spin, more pop. Control is very good, so is with the orig setup. Overall, Im feeling I get more pop with Luxilon, a bit more spin, and control about the same. I like it, but wasnt blown away with it, and am thinking about the cost-benefit factor: I would spend about 8 bucks with this Luxilon hybrid vs 1.6 bucks with my original hybrid setup!
Are there cheaper strings out there that resemble Luxilon BB Alu Power? Im kinda new to all this string thing, I used to go with cheap stuff as a rule... Any suggestions?

davidahenry
01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I have read many posts where board members say Topspin CyberFlash is the closest poly to Alu Power. I haven't tried it yet. I just can't get myself to move away from the real thing... Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough.

Take care.

DH

chang10is
01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I've read the same thing in a few posts about similarities between Cyberflash and Alu Power. One person called Topspin CyberFlash the "poor man's Luxilon." I've used this string in a hybrid and like it, but I haven't put BB Alu Power in the same racquet yet, so I can't really compare the two myself. You could try a set, and if you like it, the reel would allow you to string a racquet for about $4.

davidahenry
01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
One person called Topspin CyberFlash the "poor man's Luxilon."

Yes - that was NickB in his poly review thread.

CF supposedly plays similarly to Alu Power (although I am not sure there a poly that plays as well as freshly strung Alu).

CF holds tension much longer than Alu.

CF is much less expensive. As you stated above, if buy as a reel, CF can be strung for just under $4 per racquet. Alu, on the other hand, just went up in price on TW and is now $15.75 per set.

My head tells me to try CF. My heart tells me to stick with Alu. For now, I am going with my heart on this one. :)

Take care.

DH

pabletion
01-17-2009, 07:28 PM
^^ I guess it is worth it to try CF, Im definitely tempted to it, and very surely I will... Any more ppl who have tried those two? How would you compare Luxi BB Alu Power vs Topspin Cyberflash?

supermario343
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Ive heard cyberflash and big hitter are great substitutes for big banger :)

babolat15
01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
ya im interested in cyberflash

ag200boy
01-18-2009, 08:09 AM
ok guys, my synopsis of ALU vs Cyberflash:

ALU gets the edge when freshly strung (but not worth paying 4 times as much per stringing IMO)

but... about 5 hours out, cyberflash has pulled into the lead, and by 10-15 hours, cyberflash is the clear winner!

oh and if you just HAVE to keep your precious ALU, then may i suggest an ALU mains, CF crosses hybrid?

Tennis_Crazed
01-18-2009, 08:15 AM
How would you guys compare the Luxilon ALU Power Rough vs the Spin?

I tried the rough but haven't yet had a chance to try the spin...plus its more expensive..

bertiefactor
01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
what type of material is the cyberflash?

davidahenry
01-18-2009, 11:34 AM
oh and if you just HAVE to keep your precious ALU, then may i suggest an ALU mains, CF crosses hybrid?

Good suggestion ag200boy. That will certainly cut down on cost a little bit (from full Alu) and probably won't change playability much. Thanks.

DH

davidahenry
01-18-2009, 11:37 AM
How would you guys compare the Luxilon ALU Power Rough vs the Spin?

I tried the rough but haven't yet had a chance to try the spin...plus its more expensive..

I have only played with Alu Power Rough, so I cannot give a playability comparison. From a material construction perspective, Rough is a textured version of Alu Power. Spin, I believe, is actually a string with a non-round shape to it (i.e. it has ridges that are supposed to bite the ball).

Take care.

DH

ag200boy
01-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Good suggestion ag200boy. That will certainly cut down on cost a little bit (from full Alu) and probably won't change playability much. Thanks.

DH

if you have a reel of cyberflash it will bring price down from 15.75 ( give or take some change) to around 10 bucks

but i suggest you give full CF a shot and bring it down to 4 ;)

Nadal_R
01-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Which one have most power: CF or BBO or BB Alu Power?

StevenLaurence
01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
AluPower, but Poly is Poly is Poly and most are made at the same place. Germany makes most brands.