PDA

View Full Version : New string settle time

v205
01-16-2009, 08:05 PM
For recreational players with some sort of budget in mind, you'd want the settled in tension to be in your prefered tension zone.

How long do you feel is required for your string to settle into its new tension? Reason being that if you play with a freshly strung racket straight away, tension loss is exacerated.

Please state strung tension, wait time before playing and tension loss expected after 1 week of playing for around 2-3 hours after the initial wait time.

ie. 53lbs, 2 days, 50lbs after 1 week

Does this query relate differently to different tyles of string? (gut, synth-gut, multi, poly)

big hitter
01-17-2009, 03:37 AM
yes, the tension drop time will vary.
Poly drops the quickest in hours but cant tell you how much.
Natural gut holds tention the best, then its multies, then syntetic gut.

The tention drop will also depend how often you play and how hard you hit.

All strings loose tention, but some loose tention faster.
Even if your racquet is not being used the strings still loose tention.

There is a devise that measures tention dont know if you want to invest your money in it tho.

morten
01-17-2009, 09:12 AM
i thought syntgut held tension better than multis big hitter...

tennisfreak15347
01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
i thought syntgut held tension better than multis big hitter...

I don't think so.

morten
01-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think so.

In general or just the fresh job(versus after playing)?

tennisfreak15347
01-17-2009, 10:55 AM
In general or just the fresh job(versus after playing)?
I find that throughout the synthetic guts I've played with( Gosen OG sheep, PSGD, gamm syn, gamma syn. wearguard) they've all lost far too much tension after 4-5 hours of playing. I don't find this effect in multifilaments( P.S maxim Touch, TF multifeel, Babolat Xcel, HEAD FXP) until 15-18 hours of playing.

morten
01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
very interesting... Thought it was the other way around as "mushy" is often described upon multis... But i am happy as i now like multis more(struggled a bit since i use low tensions, power issues with multis i thought, but now i know why balls were flying after 4-5 hours using syntgut..) Would you use the same tension between synth and multi? Thanks

tennisfreak15347
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I use multis generally 2lbs higher than synthetic gut. However, I do a slight pre-stretch for all my synthetic gut.

TennezSport
01-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I find that throughout the synthetic guts I've played with( Gosen OG sheep, PSGD, gamm syn, gamma syn. wearguard) they've all lost far too much tension after 4-5 hours of playing. I don't find this effect in multifilaments( P.S maxim Touch, TF multifeel, Babolat Xcel, HEAD FXP) until 15-18 hours of playing.

This is true to an extent but is totally dependent on the type of synth gut, the material used in it's contruction, the stringing machine, stringer technique, the racquet, head size, string bed density, playing conditions and player. The same goes for multis, poly, co-poly and hybrids. This is why it's so difficult to get a definite conclusion because of all of the variables envolved. Isn't this fun :twisted:

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Valjean
01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
It's not so hard; you start here: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Then you track your particular tension loss, and pin down your own result--for whatever you use--based on whatever gadget you own.

morten
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks Valjean, great stuff :)