PDA

View Full Version : Dent uses protected ranking of 56 at AO

bjk
01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I saw him in the main draw without a WC beside his name and couldn't figure out how he got in. Looks like he's using his protected ranking of 56. The terms of the protected ranking are quite generous.

"The Entry Protection shall be in effect for either the first eight tournaments that the player competes in using the Entry Protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a Direct Acceptance with his current position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings) or for the period up to nine months beginning with the first tennis event that the player competes in, whichever occurs first."

If he plays half decent, he should be able to rack up alot of points in those eight tournaments, which should include all of the Grand Slams, and he should also be able to get wildcards during the US hardcourt season. I still think that with his game and durability, he'd be better off playing doubles, especially with the new tiebreaker.

edberg505
01-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Here's hoping he has a good tournament. Allez Taylor!

Morrowreze
01-17-2009, 01:40 AM
With eight tournaments (probably a few more than that because of wildcards) I don't think he'll be able to get his ranking back to around 50. Around the top 100 would be good enough so that he could get direct entry into slams and a lot of non-masters series tournaments though.

bjk
01-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Yeah, he'll probably get an entry in the Slams and then some of the non-clay masters events, like in Miami. Otherwise try to fight it out in the challengers.

bjk
01-17-2009, 01:58 AM
http://nickstennispicks.com/2009/01/07/video-of-taylor-dent-comeback-bid/

Fee
01-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Dent first used his protected back in May. The ATP didn't suspend the clock when he got injured again so his 'nine months' has been ticking since then. He has to stop using his protected ranking in February, so he won't get 8 tournaments (unless the ATP relents and restarts the clock for him, which they should in my opinion).

bjk
01-17-2009, 01:58 PM
That looks to be correct. He has only a few more tournaments. That makes no sense . . . he would have been much better off waiting until he was better prepared.

sureshs
01-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Dent's S&V volley play will surprise Fed and Nadal and he will win the AO.

joshburger
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Dent's S&V volley play will surprise Fed and Nadal and he will win the AO.

likleyyyyyyy