PDA

View Full Version : Federer Performance yesturday

Bolivian Ace
01-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Did any body see him play Stan? What do you think of Fed's game. I did not look too demanding, but he was able to pull some awesome shots. IMO he's in great shape. I would like to hear some of your opinions?

crazylevity
01-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Forehand was devastating...he pulled off two or three passing shots from about 10 feet behind the baseline that flew past Wawrinka so fast he didn't even raise his racquet to volley. Periodically, the forehand just smacked winners at will. Serve was reliable, high percentage 1st serves, a 2nd serve ace, and only one double fault. Backhand wasn't breaking down, even in backhand to backhand duels with Stan. Movement was efficient, even without appearing to go all out he managed to play well defensively.

Now all that said, Wawrinka did not play anywhere near his best, but he wasn't in the doldrums either.

JeMar
01-17-2009, 05:58 AM
He was playing well, but I wasn't happy with how many approaches he missed.

thejoe
01-17-2009, 06:09 AM
The backhand didn't break down because it doesn't consistently break down unless he is playing Nadal. Sure people target it, because it is ridiculous to target his forehand. It is notoriously difficult for one-handers to deal with high balls, and that is why Nadal has success, because his forehand loops like crazy and bounces up. It isn't a bad shot against anyone else.

TheMusicLover
01-17-2009, 06:12 AM
This was his first convincing performance of 2008, I think - though it doesn't say a lot as Wawa was way below par.

crazylevity
01-17-2009, 06:17 AM
The backhand didn't break down because it doesn't consistently break down unless he is playing Nadal. Sure people target it, because it is ridiculous to target his forehand. It is notoriously difficult for one-handers to deal with high balls, and that is why Nadal has success, because his forehand loops like crazy and bounces up. It isn't a bad shot against anyone else.

While that is true, Federer's backhand can occasionally break down against another solid backhand such as Nalbandian's or Murray's. Which is why I thought it noteworthy that it held up very well; Wawrinka's backhand isn't anything to laugh at.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Forehand was devastating...he pulled off two or three passing shots from about 10 feet behind the baseline that flew past Wawrinka so fast he didn't even raise his racquet to volley. Periodically, the forehand just smacked winners at will. Serve was reliable, high percentage 1st serves, a 2nd serve ace, and only one double fault. Backhand wasn't breaking down, even in backhand to backhand duels with Stan. Movement was efficient, even without appearing to go all out he managed to play well defensively.

Now all that said, Wawrinka did not play anywhere near his best, but he wasn't in the doldrums either.

Nice to read that analysis, really gets me excited :).

One major worry I had with Federer in 2008 was for some reason which I couldnt figure out, he would make so many unforced errors. If he keeps those down in the AO and the rest of 2009, it will be a historic year.

LanceStern
01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
He had a lot of unforced errors in Doha, so I'm really glad to hear how he was playing today. Especially on the forehand.

He's really going to want to treasure his forehand, 1st serve and movement for the AO.

ALl the backhand really has to do at this point is keep him in the points. Rip it inside out or down the line every now and then

edmondsm
01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
A good sign for Federer indeed. I really, really hope that him and Nadal make their way to the final. The other slams deserve some of this rivalry.

Gugafan
01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
It was vintage Federer against stan. He maintained a very high level of attacking tennis throughout the two sets which bares well for Aus, considering he has had a tendancy to go off the boil after a set.

Ironically both guys are drawn to meet each other in the R16.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Federer will make it probably for sure. I mean unheard of consistency. How many straight semifinals in Slams? And I can see him easily beating Djoker or anyone else in the semi.

Lets see if Nadal can make it to finals though, which I don't think so.

nickynu
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
fed knows Stan so well that he is totally relaxed against him. Thats why he is free just to glide sereenly around the court at his best. lets hope that he will be able to carry on this form when the pressure is on.

Feds game at its best is the most beautiful thing on a tennis court (apart from dementievas legs-lol!) that we will ever see. lets hope whoever wins the aussie open that Fed is back with the graceful flowing tennis.

Toxicmilk
01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
fed knows Stan so well that he is totally relaxed against him. Thats why he is free just to glide sereenly around the court at his best. lets hope that he will be able to carry on this form when the pressure is on.

Feds game at its best is the most beautiful thing on a tennis court (apart from dementievas legs-lol!) that we will ever see. lets hope whoever wins the aussie open that Fed is back with the graceful flowing tennis.

qft lollll

Can't wait for the AO :]

David L
01-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Did any body see him play Stan? What do you think of Fed's game. I did not look too demanding, but he was able to pull some awesome shots. IMO he's in great shape. I would like to hear some of your opinions?
He looked good in the Kooyong final, but I already thought he looked good in Doha, despite his loss to Murray. He's moving and striking the ball well, plus put in some good performances against solid pros in Doha.

swedechris
01-18-2009, 03:14 AM
i saw it and he played very well.. looked very comfy out there.. he did paly well in Doha as well and was quite unlucky against Murray .. a set up 2-1 up and 40-0 on Andys serve.. if he had taken that break . 3-1 and serving for 4-1.. so tough luck there.. will be different at a Slam i hope. go Rog!

Ambivalent
01-18-2009, 03:21 AM
He made some really dumb errors too. Especially at net.

David L
01-18-2009, 03:37 AM
He made some really dumb errors too. Especially at net.
Yes, but it was very windy and we are still early in the season. The more matches the players get to play, the sharper they'll get.