PDA

View Full Version : Which pro is the most creative

Bolivian Ace
01-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Ok, Fed should be the winner hands down, but besides from him, who do you think has the most resources, who has the most different shots?

joshburger
01-17-2009, 06:25 AM
fabrice santoro

Element54
01-17-2009, 06:52 AM
fabrice santoro

second that

nalbyvsfed
01-17-2009, 07:02 AM
nalbandian or santoro. i think nalbandian..

thejoe
01-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Fabrice Santoro.

J-man
01-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Well creative, Santoro

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Ok, Fed should be the winner hands down, but besides from him, who do you think has the most resources, who has the most different shots?
Right now Fed's creativity is more like:
service winner, ue, service winner, ue... (just kidding)

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Nadal's creativity is staying back and waiting for the other to hit it long or into the net :P.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Santoro ftw. Youtube "Roger Federer Magic- Santoro Style" and you'll agree.

matchmaker
01-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Nalbandian, it used to be Rios though.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Ivanovic's curves are pretty creative to me...

austintennis
01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Olivier Rochus. When you don't get a single free point, you are 5'4 and you play a one-handed backhand, you better be creative.

Stepanek is pretty creative, too. Not too many players use the drop shot so often (on surfaces other than clay).

The French players in general (not including Mathieu - who grew up training in the States)

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Nadal's creativity is staying back and waiting for the other to hit it long or into the net :P.
Hum back to the old cliches? Alternately slices, exquisite drop shots, textbook lobs, coming to net after a good serve (he does it often on break point if you have been paying attention), crazy passing shots on the run, splendid overheads, creating sharp angles, fastest footwork to get to normally unreturnable shots, of course most extreme side and top spin ever generated in tennis (EVER) to the point that players say it takes a set and a half to get used to it, and isn't it Federer who said that playing against Nadal was like playing against a player with 2 forehands? That is how lethal his backhand is (advantage of being ambidextrous). Ouf, enough creativity for you?

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Hum back to the old cliches? Alternately slices, exquisite drop shots, textbook lobs, coming to net after a good serve (he does it often on break point if you have been paying attention), crazy passing shots on the run, splendid overheads, creating sharp angles, fastest footwork to get to normally unreturnable shots, of course most extreme side and top spin ever generated in tennis (EVER) to the point that players say it takes a set and a half to get used to it, and isn't it Federer who said that playing against Nadal was like playing against a player with 2 forehands? That is how lethal his backhand is (advantage of being ambidextrous). Ouf, enough creativity for you?

Chill out lol. Lets just sit back and enjoy the tennis coming up this week.

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Chill out lol. Lets just sit back and enjoy the tennis coming up this week.
I agree my friend, let's just do that :)

All-rounder
01-17-2009, 08:34 AM
nadal is not creative well he may be on clay but as for other surfaces he is not even close

Toxicmilk
01-17-2009, 08:41 AM
santoro for sure.

honorable mention: Nishikori, the fake drop shot at delray beach against blake xD

orangettecoleman
01-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Santoro, Nishikori, Murray, Patty Schnyder, Jurgen Melzer

RoddickAce
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Battistone brothers
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNr90XZ05A
They have a crazy high jump serve; for groundies, I don't know if they always do this, but one has 2 forehands while the other uses two hands on both shots; they both use a two handled-racquet.

swedechris
01-17-2009, 08:48 AM
tsonga ... stepanek, youzny.

DoubleDeuce
01-17-2009, 08:54 AM
nadal is not creative well he may be on clay but as for other surfaces he is not even close

I assume you are kidding here.

Either you have it or you don't. Clay or no clay.

Intelligent people are more creative and usually have more "knowledge" in their profession than non-creative people and Federer in this regard is unmatched. The Originality in his techniques is explained only by a high level of creativity.

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
I assume you are kidding here.

Either you have it or you don't. Clay or no clay.

Intelligent people are more creative and usually have more "knowledge" in their profession than non-creative people and Federer in this regard is unmatched.
Fed has certainly shown 0 creativity vs Nadal on clay. He has actually shown a vast inability to modify his game (the backhand comes to mind) to come up with different answers. (Don't take my word for it, listen to Johnny Mac's commentary at the FO, edifying.)

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
It was just last year's FO final. Other than that I think Federer has done a good job against Nadal on clay. He has even beaten him on clay.

DoubleDeuce
01-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Fed has certainly shown 0 creativity vs Nadal on clay. He has actually shown a vast inability to modify his game (the backhand comes to mind) to come up with different answers. (Don't take my word for it, listen to Johnny Mac's commentary at the FO, edifying.)

Here we are comparing players based on the level of creativity they have shown over all. Please note that Nadal's success on clay hardly comes from being creative. On clay, several other big factors are at play which mere creativity may not have all the answers for. Clay happens to be a perfect match for Nadal abilities, he is arguabley the best in history on that surface and still the only one who has bested Federer.

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 09:19 AM
It was just last year's FO final. Other than that I think Federer has done a good job against Nadal on clay. He has even beaten him on clay.
He has done a good job (but that's because his game is excellent as it is). He hasn't shown a capacity to adapt his play or even his strategy IMO against Nadal. The win in Hamburg was more a case of Nadal "snapping" and becoming out of gas (Nadal had struggled like hell against everyone else during that tournament, he was so washed out) than Federer trying something different. I know Fed fans are gonna yell bloody murder at that but everything we've seen since the Hamburg match certainly seems to prove my point.

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Here we are comparing players based on the level of creativity they have shown over all. Please note that Nadal's success on clay hardly comes from being creative. On clay, several other big factors are at play which mere creativity may not have all the answers for. Clay happens to be a perfect match for Nadal abilities, he is arguabley the best in history on that surface and still the only one who has bested Federer.
Nadal is the only challenge Federer has faced since he became # 1 (2004) and he hasn't shown any creativity in finding ways to maintain his superiority at W and improve his chances at FO, (it's Nadal who has consolidated his grip on clay and found ways to be more and more damaging to Fed on grass, so Nadal has been the creative one), in hard court slams Fed has never had to play Nadal so the question never came up.

DoubleDeuce
01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Nadal is the only challenge Federer has faced since he became # 1 (2004) and he hasn't shown any creativity in finding ways to maintain his superiority at W and improve his chances at FO, (it's Nadal who has consolidated his grip on clay and found ways to be more and more damaging to Fed on grass, so Nadal has been the creative one), in hard court slams Fed has never had to play Nadal so the question never came up.

I'll have to repeat myself since you seem to be missing the point. Please first take a moment and look at the definition for creativity and the OP's subject of choice and then look at over all creativity these two players have had. Other responders on this thread appear to be on the right track because they have chosen Santoro who is also very creative on the court. Clinging to 1 out of last 6 Wimbledons or Clay surface does not take anything away from Federer creativity.

joshburger
01-17-2009, 09:44 AM
santoro for sure.

honorable mention: Nishikori, the fake drop shot at delray beach against blake xD

do u have a video of that?

joshburger
01-17-2009, 09:45 AM
never mind this is it(i think) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YuKruexcE&feature=related

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Nikishori's also a pretty creative guy too.

DoubleDeuce
01-17-2009, 10:03 AM
never mind this is it(i think) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YuKruexcE&feature=related

This is a very pretty fake drop shot. However, the commentator says " punched it passed Blake". Blake was actually behind the drop point and the baseline, thinking it is a drop shot starting to launch forward.

vbranis
01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Santoro, Stepanek, Melzer, Llodra

For the WTA, it has to be Niculescu, the female version of Santoro.

matchmaker
01-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Nice point. That is sometimes an interesting tactic, especially when you have already hit a few droppers and your opponent thinks you are going to hit yet another one and then you just slice it deep.

edmondsm
01-17-2009, 10:32 AM
tsonga ... stepanek, youzny.

I was going to say Stepanek. Very fun to watch that guy play.

DarthFed
01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I grudgingly give Stepanek a mention..Santoro of course, Nishikori

Every player has their moments...i've seen Gasquet and Many other do the risky "first second serve" it usually works rather well

NickC
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Including that one time when he bageled Nadal in Hamburg? Surely if Nadal was the god you guys all claim him to be, he wouldn't have succumbed to such a humiliation.

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Including that one time when he bageled Nadal in Hamburg? Surely if Nadal was the god you guys all claim him to be, he wouldn't have succumbed to such a humiliation.
I've already answered that question in this thread, I'm not gonna do it again.
As for the thread's question, I guess I would join the majority and agree with Santoro.

morten
01-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Mac..... ;) I don't see much creativity nowadays IMHO

ESP#1
01-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Nalbandian, more creative than Federer, a way bigger head case too

edmondsm
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Murray is a very creative player IMO.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Mac..... ;) I don't see much creativity nowadays IMHO

I forgot him.... awesome creativity. He's so creative, someone would watch him and say, "you cannot be serious!"

World Beater
01-17-2009, 05:48 PM
nalbandian and federer...although fed has been struggling a little bit lately and so has bandy

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Murray is a very creative player IMO.
I agree, he is.

jelle v
01-17-2009, 05:59 PM

What does that have to to with being creative...? Nothing imo...

As for the openingspost:
I'm a huge Federer-fan, but imo Federer isn't that creative anymore.. for example, he used to hit a very short crosscourt backhand slice very often and follow it to the net (not all the timers). I loved that shot, sort of a mix between a backhand slice and a dropshot, he never hits it anymore.

For me the most creative players are Santoro and Stepanek and for some strange reason Koubek comes to mind.. Gasquet also comes to mind.

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 06:06 PM

As for the openingspost:
I'm a huge Federer-fan, but imo Federer isn't that creative anymore.. for example, he used to hit a very short crosscourt backhand slice very often and follow it to the net (not all the timers). I loved that shot, sort of a mix between a backhand slice and a dropshot, he never hits it anymore.

For me the most creative players are Santoro and Stepanek and for some strange reason Koubek comes to mind.. Gasquet also comes to mind.
That was an answer to someone saying Nadal only pushed the ball back (I sort of listed everything else he does...) Sorry if it was off topic.

bolo
01-17-2009, 06:12 PM

As for the openingspost:

That shot doesn't really work against nadal and murray and also doesn't pay normal dividends versus djokovic. He was punished for using that shot in the
5th set of the wimbledon final. At this point he is better off without it.

But it looks like wilander agrees with you overall he also believes fed. has used up his magical shots.

jelle v
01-17-2009, 06:21 PM
That shot doesn't really work against nadal and murray and also doesn't pay normal dividends versus djokovic. He was punished for using that shot in the
5th set of the wimbledon final. At this point he is better off without it.

But it looks like wilander agrees with you overall he also believes fed. has used up his magical shots.

Well.. that's good to have him on my side.. ;)

Ever since 2007 i had the feeling that Roger's tennis was all about business.. business of getting to more than 14 Grand Slam. I think it is a result of the pressure, because up till say 8 or 9 slams, the record wasn't really close, but now it is really close and I think maybe he too has only one thing on his mind, and that's breaking the 14 GS record of Sampras. Once Federer get's his 15th slam, i hope we get to see the old Federer again, cause he was more magical to watch than the current Federer.

Bolivian Ace
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Wooww, I should have made this a poll. I think Santoro is winning, and Nalbamndian close. Murray IMO is also very creative. But from your discusions and came to my mind that Federer and Nadal are both boring. Ok, GOAT o not, you already now what to expect from them and from their fans. Once you read a Federer-Nadal discusion you read them all.

slicekick95
01-19-2009, 10:30 AM

nishikori pulled that same shot against del potro in the us open

Fiercer
01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
How's Murray creative? In my mind he just another big serving, two handed baseliner. Nothing against Murray. Just that a player like him hardly need to be creative to win.

Teamtomo
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Santoro. The wizard. :)

War, Safin!
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok, Fed should be the winner hands down, but besides from him, who do you think has the most resources, who has the most different shots?Murray.
That's why he keeps beating Federer.

And everybody else.

dennis10is
01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

A young man who is in love with Nadal.

veroniquem
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
A young man who is in love with Nadal.
Who? me? I'm not a young man baby ;-)

norbac
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
How's Murray creative? In my mind he just another big serving, two handed baseliner. Nothing against Murray. Just that a player like him hardly need to be creative to win.

You clearly haven't seem him play against a variety of players.

I say Santoro's the most creative though.