PDA

View Full Version : if you watch the same player(pros) all the time do u develop the same playing style?

nalbyvsfed
01-17-2009, 06:06 AM
read above, because i watch lots of nalbandian and my forehand is worse than my backhand, maybe its just natural. what do u think..

Automatix
01-17-2009, 06:24 AM
The answer is: NO

You can't emulate certain things plus the physical differences are too much to overcome. Also something which is natural for some players can be unnatural for you thus leading to a certain incapability of emulating certain technique aspects...

nalbyvsfed
01-17-2009, 06:28 AM
oh ok i understand

pabletion
01-17-2009, 09:51 AM
ABSOLUTELY YES, you should watch vids of Federer 24 hours straight, eventually, youll play exactly like him, develop his footwork, even start looking a bit like him, get a chubby girlfriend and have a best friend that looks like Tiger Woods, but instead of a big yatch he's got a little inflatable dingy..... close enough, no?

TennisNinja
01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
No, not the playing style, but I usually do play better after I watch a lot of matches on TV because I notice the pros' footwork, preperation and focus.

nalbyvsfed
01-17-2009, 01:50 PM
im sorry, maybe its a bad question.

Mick
01-17-2009, 01:52 PM
i went out to play today and saw ten guys hitting the balls exactly like roger federer :D

nalbyvsfed
01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
i didnt meant exactly hitting, i meaned taking decisions like in this case federer does. when he goes to the net. how he serve's when hes on pressure etc.

10sfreak
01-17-2009, 07:08 PM
^^^Nalbyvsfed, these guys are just ribbin' ya a little bit, so don't take their sarcastic tones to heart - if you stick around long enough, you'll get used to it!! Welcome to the boards!

ronalditop
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
i watched a lot of gasquet videos to learn his backhand and now my backhand looks very similar to his.

nalbyvsfed
01-18-2009, 12:52 AM
thanks 10sfreak.

anbu4ever11
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
i personally think yes you could.i watch a ton of janko tipsarevic,verdasco and nadal because i like there styles. so i try to incorporate similar things into my own game.some of it fits and some things just dont work.

Petekbladetour1
01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
i really like djockos forehand. and you know what? my fh looks a bit like his

RestockingTues
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
i watched a lot of gasquet videos to learn his backhand and now my backhand looks very similar to his.
Same with me, but in my case my backhand is actually faster than his now.

Faster to fly over the fence, of course.

Bolivian Ace
01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
IMO you don't play like them just beacause you watch them, but you can learn some things from watching, abd than try that on court, maybe even without thinking. Tennis strokes are like peolpe, two may me similar, but never the same. Hasn't happened to you that you can reconize someone, by his/her playing style, even when you can not see their face? So what I'm saying is you may try to emulate a player, but the outcome will be your own.

mistapooh
01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
IMO you don't play like them just beacause you watch them, but you can learn some things from watching, abd than try that on court, maybe even without thinking. Tennis strokes are like peolpe, two may me similar, but never the same. Hasn't happened to you that you can reconize someone, by his/her playing style, even when you can not see their face? So what I'm saying is you may try to emulate a player, but the outcome will be your own.

This holds true to Nadal's reverse forehand whipping it in on the run, the Federer squash shot, and Fed's DTL forehand while gliding to the left of the court.

lawlaw
01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
If you watch enough of anyone the technique will become ingrained. Much the same as living in a certain area and picking up the accent. You are watching the person because you admire them and we all strive to do the things/be like the people we admire.

I hit on the practice court next to Roger back in '06 and I was sneaking a look every time we rested, picked up balls etc. I could feel myself emulating small details from his stroke preparation (are strokes are fairly similar to begin with) which my strokes were lacking. The result was I hit the best 45mins of ground strokes in my entire life that day.

So yes, I believe it does make a difference.