PDA

View Full Version : Which Australian Open do you prefer?

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Do you prefer the Rebound Ace or the current surface? And which one do you think looks better?

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Do you prefer the Rebound Ace or the current surface? And which one do you think looks better?
I liked Rebound Ace, now there is less difference between USO and AO. Poor Agassi would not have won all his AO titles if the surface had become faster (and Sampras would be the undisputed GOAT with at least 17 slams to his name!) It would have deprived us of great spectacular matches between the 2 of them (it would have been serve, serve, serve and Game set and match for Sampras even before the match started like USO)

J-man
01-17-2009, 08:01 AM
I think the Rebound ace was unique and I liked that for the reason stated above. But it got very sticky and caused a lot of injuries. So it was inevitable that it be changed.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Ya I also liked the Rebound Ace. Though the new surface looks better only in the daytime when the sun is beaming down on it.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I liked the green original. Now the US Open and the Aussie Open are extremely similar in playing style, which makes it more boring.

Bud
01-17-2009, 08:09 AM
I liked the green original. Now the US Open and the Aussie Open are extremely similar in playing style, which makes it more boring.

I liked it when it was played on grass :)

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
The US Open also used to be green few years ago.

By the way, I find US Open now to be the least exciting of the 4 Slams. Wimbledon and French will always be the best. So that leaves the choice between Aussie or US Open.

The Aussie Open, being the first Slam of the year provides excitement and is highly anticipated. Plus the crowd atmosphere is great and there are always great upset stories.

The US Open has lost its charm for me. With all the Master tournaments, it just gets played out in my opinion.

Anyone agree?

EPaps
01-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I like the new blue, and the fact that there's a slight contrast between inside the court and outside the court.

J-man
01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
The US Open also used to be green few years ago.

By the way, I find US Open now to be the least exciting of the 4 Slams. Wimbledon and French will always be the best. So that leaves the choice between Aussie or US Open.

The Aussie Open, being the first Slam of the year provides excitement and is highly anticipated. Plus the crowd atmosphere is great and there are always great upset stories.

The US Open has lost its charm for me. With all the Master tournaments, it just gets played out in my opinion.

Anyone agree?No I don't, to an extent. I think The US Open has the most exciting night matches (yes more exciting than the AO) but the day time matches are boring. They just don't have that electrifying aurora surrounding it. AO day matches, French Open, Wimbledon day matches are much more exciting in my opinion.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 08:24 AM
No I don't, to an extent. I think The US Open has the most exciting night matches (yes more exciting than the AO) but the day time matches are boring. They just don't have that electrifying aurora surrounding it. AO day matches, French Open, Wimbledon day matches are much more exciting in my opinion.

Fair enough, that is one thing which US Open has - the exciting night matches. But id still prefer Australian Open overall over US Open.

All-rounder
01-17-2009, 08:36 AM
rebound ace as now US open and Australian open plays similar now

Winners or Errors
01-17-2009, 08:36 AM

The AO should be played on grass.

cujays
01-17-2009, 08:53 AM
i like the stuff now

paterson
01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I preferred the Rebound Ace court over Plexicushion. The differences between the grand slams has been lost. Back in the 90's, the majors all had different surfaces. RA was a surface that was slower and high bouncing. Plexicushion is too similar to the US Open's Decoturf surface. Now the AO has become the Jr. US Open.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Or the US Open is the Jr. Australian Open :). As I've said, US Open is the least exciting of the four for me.

edberg505
01-17-2009, 09:29 AM

I liked Rebound Ace, now there is less difference between USO and AO. Poor Agassi would not have won all his AO titles if the surface had become faster (and Sampras would be the undisputed GOAT with at least 17 slams to his name!) It would have deprived us of great spectacular matches between the 2 of them (it would have been serve, serve, serve and Game set and match for Sampras even before the match started like USO)

What makes you guys think the surface now is faster than Rebound Ace? The surface they are using now is insanely slow.

tennisgirl90
01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I prefer the blue one, but it doesn't really matter.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Last year it was really slow but I heard this year it will be fast, which will be good for Federer.

tacou
01-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Rebound .

Chauvalito
01-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Rebound Ace.

vbranis
01-17-2009, 09:47 AM
:idea:This needs a poll.

Rebound Ace all the way.

Telepatic
01-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I prefer blue one.

matchmaker
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Another vote for Rebound Ace. This needs a poll.

TonyB
01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
The AO should be played on carpet.

That way we would have 4 different surfaces in the 4 slams.

Just a thought.

alienhamster
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Rebound Ace. The bounciness changed the shape of the game, and I liked the pace of the court. Wasn't loving the new surface as much last year, but I'm willing to give it another try this year.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I like the new blue, and the fact that there's a slight contrast between inside the court and outside the court.

Yeah, I love the new color.

380pistol
01-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Honestly I don't know. I dispised Rebound Ace as may players (Sampras, Safin, Hewitt) complained about it being bad where health is concerned. When it it gets hot the court gets very sticky and can become a health hazard, which was one of the major detriments of Rebound Ace.

As far as Plexicushion it's far better than Rebound Ace where health, safety and maintenance is concerned, but as it's been noted it's too similar to the US Open's Deco Turf II (an acrylic hardcourt) while Rebound Ace (a synthetic hardcourt) was somewhat different.

As far as the colour I really did not like the blue on blue which they used for Plexicushion, but it grew on me. I would prefer the green as the US Open has changed to blue. Miami (Key Biscayne) had a dark green and green colour scheme, but now they've made it purple. So I kind of miss the traditional green hardcourts. So I'm partial to have the Aus Open played on a green coloured surface.

Lotto
01-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Maybe plexicushion with the same speed and bounce of the Rebound Ace (If that's possible) and painted the same colour would make everyone happy. lol. None of the pros would complain about injuries and you guys wouldn't complain about speed or colour. Would it be possible to make it the same speed/bounce or is not impossible? I'm not the best with different court types.

pricey_aus
01-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Last year it was really slow but I heard this year it will be fast, which will be good for Federer.

Trust me, i trained at melbourne park for the past year, and they resurfaced the courts about 2 months ago, which made them sloooooowwwww again. I wouldn't be suprised if Rafa (hoping that he's knees hold up) goes deep into this tournament.

Ronny
01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Plexicushion

Ronny
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Just a thought.

or the us open be changed to carpet...ao is much older

Nadal_Freak
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Trust me, i trained at melbourne park for the past year, and they resurfaced the courts about 2 months ago, which made them sloooooowwwww again. I wouldn't be suprised if Rafa (hoping that he's knees hold up) goes deep into this tournament.
I hope you are right. That would be sweet to see some slow courts again. It's been awhile.

LanceStern
01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I like the look of the Rebound Ace, but I don't like how slow it is.

US Open is probably the worse if I had to choose, but that's only because the others are so tight. All of them are exciting to me, and the US Open redeems itself with night-time matches, which are electric.

AO has great upsets (plays slow now though), French is unique and grinding, Wimbledon is classy and my favorite

Andres
01-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Just a thought.
An indoors facility when the temperature in Melbourne around January is 40+ ?

AndrewD
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM

I would think that anyone who has had the misfortune to play on Rebound Ace (one of the worst court surfaces of all time) would be amazed that people - whose only exposure to it was through their television screen - would actually be debating whether or not it was was wise to replace it.

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 05:13 PM
By the way, I dont know if ya'll agree on this but I want the Australian Open to change their setup to the same as the US Open, as in to have the women's final played during the night and the men's final in the day, where the atmosphere is better at the AO.

So switch them around. Anyone agree? I think men's final at AO should be played during the afternoon.

NickC
01-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I hope you are right. That would be sweet to see some slow courts again. It's been awhile.

There's already the green clay of Wimbledon and the red clay of Roland Garros, why would you want even more slow courts? Do you want to bask in the glory of Nadal winning, which was only made possible due to the large-scale slowing down of the courts?

R_Federer
01-17-2009, 05:21 PM
There's already the green clay of Wimbledon and the red clay of Roland Garros, why would you want even more slow courts? Do you want to bask in the glory of Nadal winning, which was only made possible due to the large-scale slowing down of the courts?

Answer: Yes.

Nadal_Freak
01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Are you Namranger with another account? lol But seriously every surface since the French Open has been medium-fast except Toronoto which is more medium. It has been a boring 6 months of medium-fast indoor and outdoor hardcourts.

beckham
01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
current blue one

NickC
01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Are you Namranger with another account?

No.

But seriously every surface since the French Open has been medium-fast except Toronoto which is more medium. It has been a boring 6 months of medium-fast indoor and outdoor hardcourts.

Not so. You're discounting the grass, which is considerably slower than the hardcourts, and only minimally faster than clay, but with a different kind of bounce.

The way the season is as of right now, it's like this:

Fast-Slowest-Slow-Fastest

Why would you want it to be:

Slow-Slowest-Slower-Medium Fast

?

Do you want Nadal to win everything? You're a real glory hunter, aren't you?

edberg505
01-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Dude, they were insanely slow last year already. How much slower can they get?

veroniquem
01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
No.

Not so. You're discounting the grass, which is considerably slower than the hardcourts, and only minimally faster than clay, but with a different kind of bounce.

The way the season is as of right now, it's like this:

Fast-Slowest-Slow-Fastest

Why would you want it to be:

Slow-Slowest-Slower-Medium Fast

?

Do you want Nadal to win everything? You're a real glory hunter, aren't you?
Nadal can win on any surface. What are you babbling about?

Nadal_Freak
01-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Dude, they were insanely slow last year already. How much slower can they get?
They sped up in the second week and I'll assume they will again this year. The flaw of hardcourts it seems as they get smoother as the tournament goes along. Thus more skidding. But the main thing is the height of bounce. That is what will make the biggest difference in how well Nadal does. Maybe Plexicushion just isn't a high bouncing surface.

Blade0324
01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
I like the courts now. The way they play and look. The blue is simply great. Maybe they can paint the grass and Wimby that colorc ;

edberg505
01-17-2009, 06:01 PM
They sped up in the second week and I'll assume they will again this year. The flaw of hardcourts it seems as they get smoother as the tournament goes along. Thus more skidding. But the main thing is the height of bounce. That is what will make the biggest difference in how well Nadal does. Maybe Plexicushion just isn't a high bouncing surface.

Umm, no they didn't. You can't just majicaly speed up courts. They have to be resurfaced to be sped up. Even the commentators reported on how the courts were tearing the ball up because they were so slow and that was during the Nadal vs. Tsonga match.

Nadal_Freak
01-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Umm, no they didn't. You can't just majicaly speed up courts. They have to be resurfaced to be sped up. Even the commentators reported on how the courts were tearing the ball up because they were so slow and that was during the Nadal vs. Tsonga match.
Just watch a match on the first day of the Australian and then watch the Nadal vs. Tsonga match. Tell me there isn't a big difference there. They even said that the courts would speed up with the more they got played on. That is why they resurfaced the courts. To slow the courts down.

tkauffm
01-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I think aesthetically the plexicushion looks great, but something about there had to be something about the rebound ace. The quality of ball striking and the tennis in general always seemed so high to me. Do they have any rebound ace courts or plexicushion courts in the US? I'd really like to play on them to see what they're like

tkauffm
01-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Just watch a match on the first day of the Australian and then watch the Nadal vs. Tsonga match. Tell me there isn't a big difference there. They even said that the courts would speed up with the more they got played on. That is why they resurfaced the courts. To slow the courts down.

There was a difference in speed because Tsonga was hitting the **** out of the ball!

kungfusmkim
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
i like the stuff now it bounces less high

NickC
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Indoors vs. outdoors. Nothing more, nothing less.

380pistol
01-17-2009, 10:47 PM

LOL!!! This guy kills me..... "That would be sweet to see some slow courts again. It's been awhile".

Is N_F watching tennis with Stevie Wonder vision????

JoshDragon
01-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Exactly right. Nadal has won tournaments on every surface including fast hard courts and fast grass. Don't forget about his Olympic medal and Queens trophy.

380pistol
01-17-2009, 11:34 PM

This can't be true cuz the idiots at the ATP don't allow tennis to be played on "every" surface. Nothing against Nadal, but Wimbledon is slower than the US Open and the US Open is slower than it was 1978-2000.

Nobody today really wins on "every" surface. It would be difficult seeing that tennis today isn't played on "every" surface. And now there's no carpet. You gotta luv it!!!!

ThugNasty
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
This can't be true cuz the idiots at the ATP don't allow tennis to be played on "every" surface. Nothing against Nadal, but Wimbledon is slower than the US Open and the US Open is slower than it was 1978-2000.

Nobody today really wins on "every" surface. It would be difficult seeing that tennis today isn't played on "every" surface. And now there's no carpet. You gotta luv it!!!!

Good riddance. No more lifeless tennis matches full of lame service winners and aces

380pistol
01-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Good riddance. No more lifeless tennis matches full of lame service winners and aces

I agree cuz the fast courts give us......
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGhshum4_g&fmt=18 -Pt 1
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzZb1BpW8A&feature=related&fmt=18 -Pt 2

This was too fast and when the slowed it down (still faster than today) we got....
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-MacvQuGM&fmt=18
.... a year later.

I kow all those "lame service winners and aces".Such "lifeless tennis matches".

ThugNasty
01-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I agree cuz the fast courts give us......
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGhshum4_g&fmt=18 -Pt 1
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzZb1BpW8A&feature=related&fmt=18 -Pt 2

This was too fast and when the slowed it down (still faster than today) we got....
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-MacvQuGM&fmt=18
.... a year later.

I kow all those "lame service winners and aces".Such "lifeless tennis matches".
that 1999 match is one of favorite matches

FEDEXP
01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I preferred Rebound Ace (it was unique) and not all players agreed that it was a health hazard. Kim Clijsters fell and had to withdraw due to the injury to her ankle;she never blamed the surface. The US Upen is my least favorite Slam; I can tell you that many players don't like playing on Ashe because of it's huge size (to say nothing of the spectators).

380pistol
01-17-2009, 11:50 PM
that 1999 match is one of favorite matches

The date is wrong. It was actually 1997.

380pistol
01-17-2009, 11:59 PM
I preferred Rebound Ace (it was unique) and not all players agreed that it was a health hazard. Kim Clijsters fell and had to withdraw due to the injury to her ankle;she never blamed the surface. The US Upen is my least favorite Slam; I can tell you that many players don't like playing on Ashe because of it's huge size (to say nothing of the spectators).

Whiny *** Kim who didn't have the mental make up. Sampras, Safin, Hewitt.... and yes science. When it gets to certain temperature the court gets sticky, so I will take those 3 and definitely science over Kim. Stay her *** in Belgium or New Jersey or wherever she lives. Micheal Irvin said it best....
"If you don't want it that bad, then I don't want you to have it".

And she clearly didn't want it that bad, so she can take her slam and never be heard from again.

US Open, greates slam, even though they slowed the DecoTurf. Too big??? You sound like Shaq and "I can hit free throws in the gym all day"?!? Who gives a monkey;s nut sack??? Play for 35-40 minutes, be tired, with your legs felling like jello, a 2 pt game, 18,000 screaming fans, flashing lights and cameras, now knock them down..... that's what makes you a man!!!!

US Open, none of this darkness, 1, 2 AM, you play til someone drops. 23,000 New Yorkers, planes from LaGuardia, deal with it!!!! Hot in the day, windy at night.... man up!!!!!!! This is the US Open not Burger King....... "you can't have it your way!!!!!!"

Orel Hershiser picthed 50 feet away in Shea in the playoffs, and they talked about his mother, fater, wife, his damn pet dog (if he had one) and he walkd away with MVP of the series. That's why I respect Stefan Edberg, he hated it, but he man'd up. He didn't cry and make them be nice to him, he dealt with it, and I will always respect him for that.

zagor
01-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Rebound ace for me,it played much different to USO's decoturf and presented unique challenges for players.AO was my favourite slam while it was on rebound ace,now it lost some of it's appeal to me since it's like slower version of USO now.

Just a thought.

I really doubt that would work in those conditions but I like the idea of having a major on carpet.

Honestly I don't know. I dispised Rebound Ace as may players (Sampras, Safin, Hewitt) complained about it being bad where health is concerned. When it it gets hot the court gets very sticky and can become a health hazard, which was one of the major detriments of Rebound Ace.

Yes but they are proffesional athletes paid to play and deal any conditions.Rebound ace was unique and different,it was played in very tough conditions and presented unique challenges to players compared to other slams and now that's gone.Players like Agassi and Courier thrived in those adverse conditions.Now it's USO part 2 only slower.However the Aussie crowd still makes a great atmosphere.

JoshDragon
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Nadal has won a grass title at Queens, so he has won on fast grass. This whole argument about the grass today being too slow is stupid. You could argue that the grass during Sampras's or Laver's time was too fast, so what's the point? It all comes down to your opinion.

NickC
01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Nadal has won a grass title at Queens, so he has won on fast grass. This whole argument about the grass today being too slow is stupid. You could argue that the grass during Sampras's or Laver's time was too fast, so what's the point? It all comes down to your opinion.

The grass at Queens is significantly slower than the grass at Wimby. My English friend down here at University is from the town of Wimbledon and goes to both Wimby and Queens every year, and has been for 17 years running (he's 22) and he says that the grass at Queens is slower than the clay we play on down here in Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.