PDA

View Full Version : I have changed my approach to tennis.

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 08:12 AM
After suffering three 1st round losses, I've concluded, the reason I've lost is because I "pushed" to my much. Yes, I've been consistently hitting deep balls close to the baseline, but that isn't enough. Yesterday, I played Fernando Gonzalez. When he hit that forehand, it felt like the ball sprayed into tiny marbles and I had to return each one back. From now on, I'm going to smack the crap out of the balls. Basically, I'm going to be very aggresive and I'll see if it'll give me better results.

It's not like I'm getting owned on the tennis courts, I've been playing reasonably competitive matches, but I'm just not aggressive enough.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing? After each match I've lost, I realized my loss was due to my forced errors and my opponent's winners primarily.

Mick
01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
for me, a hard shot is not as difficult to return back as a well placed medium pace shot. so, hit the ball hard and place it well too and that will be a deadly combination.

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 08:21 AM
for me, a hard shot is not as difficult to return back as a well placed medium pace shot. so, hit the ball hard and place it well too and that will be a deadly combination.

Ok, I'll crush the ball in the right spots.

Ballinbob
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't know if this would smart. Maybe your just a defensive player by nature, which isn't a bad thing. Try and hit those deep shots but moving the opponent around kinda like Hewitt. Hewitt is a counter puncher and it sure works for him. But anyway, would you say your playing style is more offensive or defensive...?

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't know if this would smart. Maybe your just a defensive player by nature, which isn't a bad thing. Try and hit those deep shots but moving the opponent around kinda like Hewitt. Hewitt is a counter puncher and it sure works for him. But anyway, would you say your playing style is more offensive or defensive...?

I guess I'm defensive because I'm too scared to hit hard since I'll think it'll go out. But I'm tired of losing because of my pathetic pushing. I need to be more aggressive. So from now on, if I'm about 3 feet behind the baseline, I'm going to crush those balls down the line.

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Btw, the guy I played hit the ball harder than anyone I've ever seen. Even harder than Roddick's forehand I think. I've seen Roddick play court level at Legg Mason and this guy's fh was def. harder than his. I mean his forehand as extremely hard that the ball could literally go past you in the blink of an eye. Did I mention he popped a ball also? I lost the match 6-4 6-4.

tennisfreak15347
01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
you played fernando gonzalez? :shock: what's you're ranking?

Rafael_Nadal_6257
01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
you played fernando gonzalez? :shock: what's you're ranking?

I think the OP meant his opponent played like gonzalez in the sense that he also had a very powerful forehand.

Ballinbob
01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I guess I'm defensive because I'm too scared to hit hard since I'll think it'll go out. But I'm tired of losing because of my pathetic pushing. I need to be more aggressive. So from now on, if I'm about 3 feet behind the baseline, I'm going to crush those balls down the line.

Haha I like it lol, go for it. Be aggressive but make sure your doing it at smart times. I have a go for broke Gonzalez type of play too, and it backfires alot. For instance, when I'm faced with a break point on 2nd serve, I always go for a massive kick serve (bigger than what I normally hit). If it goes in then I'll usually win the point, but alot of times I double fault. If you plan on using you forehand as a weapon, make sure the ball is in your strike zone and let a rip.You just got to be smart about it and you'll be fine.:)

tennisfreak15347
01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the OP meant his opponent played like gonzalez in the sense that he also had a very powerful forehand.

oh, i see.:oops:

samster
01-17-2009, 10:26 AM

word......

Moz
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Do you think I'm doing the right thing? After each match I've lost, I realized my loss was due to my forced errors and my opponent's winners primarily.

I have a theory about this. It is to be aggressive in the way you hit the ball and not try to hit the ball aggressively. What I mean is that put everything into each shot - aggressive footwork, proper knee bend, good rotation, good racquet head speed and strong follow-through. I would adopt this form of aggressiveness rather than thinking of aggression in terms of hitting winners and "big shots".

This way you don't harm your consistency too much but that little bit of extra aggressiveness you can achieve each time you address the ball will mean that rallies you previously lost become rallies you win.

Have an aggressive mindset, but in a way that is appropriate and fits in with the strengths and weaknesses of your own game.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Just use topspin to get the ball deep that's all but use a lot of racquet he speed and get the ball inside of the court, that's all you really need and don't push!

Okazaki Fragment
01-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Btw, the guy I played hit the ball harder than anyone I've ever seen. Even harder than Roddick's forehand I think. I've seen Roddick play court level at Legg Mason and this guy's fh was def. harder than his. I mean his forehand as extremely hard that the ball could literally go past you in the blink of an eye. Did I mention he popped a ball also? I lost the match 6-4 6-4.

The change in NTRP based on perspective is pretty cool. When you watch a video of a guy, you think he's 3.5. When you actually watch him in person, you think he's a 4.0. But when you play him, he's a 4.5.

LeeD
01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Seems to me.....
Upon further review, you thought about the WHYS you lost, and your conclusion was ..... forced errors by you... and winners by him.
Let's start with 1. If your opponent is forcing you to hit errors, you are gonna lose because he's better.
2. If your opponent wins because he consistently hits winners, besides forcing to make mistakes, you gonna lose.
Basically, he's better, period.
YOU trying to hit more forcing shots means you will make MORE forced errors, and lose just the same. IF you could hit more forcing shots, it would cut down on his winners, of course. But you're already missing too much!
Practice more, play more, play more people, do the groundwork. There is no easy way to get better, short of becoming Superman manana.

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Seems to me.....
Upon further review, you thought about the WHYS you lost, and your conclusion was ..... forced errors by you... and winners by him.
Let's start with 1. If your opponent is forcing you to hit errors, you are gonna lose because he's better.
2. If your opponent wins because he consistently hits winners, besides forcing to make mistakes, you gonna lose.
Basically, he's better, period.
YOU trying to hit more forcing shots means you will make MORE forced errors, and lose just the same. IF you could hit more forcing shots, it would cut down on his winners, of course. But you're already missing too much!
Practice more, play more, play more people, do the groundwork. There is no easy way to get better, short of becoming Superman manana.

I figured my opponent is hitting winners constantly because my balls aren't aggressive enough although deep. Idc what you say. I'm going to hit more aggressively next time. The court was also a problem. It was the fastest court I've ever played on. The surface was so smooth balls just slided on it. The speed presented a number of problems:

1. No time to set up for my shots.
2. My kick serves just didn't kick up as high and were just sitters.
3. When my opponent hit a flat, hard shot I was done for.

Mick
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
in my opinion, suppose you are playing someone who has the same ability as you do and both of you can hit winners, the one who plays aggressively first has a better chance of winning the point. That is why the server always has the advantage (if he has a good serve)

jack kramer once said the ultimate attacking player would always beat the ultimate defensive player.

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
in my opinion, suppose you are playing someone who has the same ability as you do and both of you can hit winners, the one who plays aggressively first has a better chance of winning the point. That is why the server always has the advantage (if he has a good serve)

jack kramer once said the ultimate attacking player would always beat the ultimate defensive player.

I've decided to change from a pusher to an aggressive baseliner.

LeeD
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Jack never played Nadah, Ferrer, or Rosewall.
But yeah, first strike, take the offensive, dictate the point. But you gotta EXTRA concentrate, watch the ball, move your feet, turn sideways and get the racket back early on that first offensive shot!

oneguy21
01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Jack never played Nadah, Ferrer, or Rosewall.
But yeah, first strike, take the offensive, dictate the point. But you gotta EXTRA concentrate, watch the ball, move your feet, turn sideways and get the racket back early on that first offensive shot!

That's what I'm going to do. Playing safe might work with buddies in my neighborhood, but not in USTA tournaments.

LeeD
01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Especially if you have the physical makeup to dictate the points, you might as well start NOW.
Taller than 6', strong, quickreacting, good eyehand and eyesight, you should always dictate the pace of every point.
Like boxing, karate, judo, you use what whomever gave you naturally. I tiger always kills, a lamb always hides.

Mick
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Especially if you have the physical makeup to dictate the points, you might as well start NOW.
Taller than 6', strong, quickreacting, good eyehand and eyesight, you should always dictate the pace of every point.
Like boxing, karate, judo, you use what whomever gave you naturally. I tiger always kills, a lamb always hides.

and general Westmoreland once said if a tiger wants to kill a rabbit, it has to use all of its might. A half hearted measure will not do :)

LeeD
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah, a halfhearted effort only makes you look bad, you accomplish little, you're actaully wasting your time, and you make your opponent confident and happy.