PDA

View Full Version : X-2 Stringer questions

schap02
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I recently edited this post, thanks tw and tt mods

Corsair
01-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Shouldn't this be in the stringing machines thread?

SchreckTennis
01-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Shouldn't this be in the stringing machines thread?

Well this is the String & Stringing forum...

1) On a few of the practice frames I've string, I noticed small notches at the head and throat where I've mounted, am I mounting too tight or too loose?

2) The plastic spacers that go on top of the upward facing mounting screws... when should I use the small vs the large? and do you mount the racquet on the high or low side of the spacer?

3) What is a better floating clamp than the composite Gamma's, I've read a few threads but wondering where to pick them up?

4) Anyone in the Gamma frequent stringer club, I'm been massing some points and don't know how long they're good for?

Pschaeffer9@hotmail.com with answers, or a reply post will work.

Thanks

I own one of these as well and I love it, so I will try to help you.

1) If the scratching is on the top of the frame, then yes- you are probably tightening it too much. General rule of thumb is that you tighten the knobs as much as your index and thumb and turn it. If the scratching is on the inside of the head/throat, you probably aren't tightening it enough (and the racquet is rubbing against the two metal stands back and forth while striging).

2) I think the thicker the racquet beam width, the wider spacer you use and the smaller width, the bigger you use. And the booklet says that "the bigger adapter is made for wide-body racquets while the thin adapter is for convetional racquets... use the highest side of the adapter that does not interfere with the string grommet holes."

3) I'm not sure- I think the klippermate company make a fairly good one, but I've never had any trouble with the ones Gamma provided.

4) Sorry, don't have an answer for you there either- try contacting Gamma.

YULitle
01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
1 and 2) If your racquet is touching the metal screws then you are mounting improperly. The plastic spacers are meant to keep your frame from touching these screws. Use them. :D And the thumb and finger should be enough to tighten the racquet down.

3) People like Klipper ones around here. I like the Alpha.

4) I think they are good forever. You can check what you can get with them on their website.

schap02
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
First off, YUL - thanks for responding, everyone else is great but I taught myself to string from your videos...

I just strung two more racquets and yea, I can't believe I even asked the question about the spacers, weird, very weird... Mental fart there..

Anyone else have any reccomendations on floating clamps or Hybrid Ideas?

smash king
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I own a machine like this as well, what is the fastest or average time it takes you to string a racket?

ryangoring
01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Eagnas has some new clamps that are spring assisted, one hand operation.
They are bulky looking, well made and it works great.
Also stringway has some very good clamps and the one I have is the 3 way clamp. The stringway are expensive. Around 59 or 69 bucks. Eagnas are about 30.

Bud
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
1) On a few of the practice frames I've string, I noticed small notches at the head and throat where I've mounted, am I mounting too tight or too loose?

2) The plastic spacers that go on top of the upward facing mounting screws... when should I use the small vs the large? and do you mount the racquet on the high or low side of the spacer?

3) What is a better floating clamp than the composite Gamma's, I've read a few threads but wondering where to pick them up?

4) Anyone in the Gamma frequent stringer club, I'm been massing some points and don't know how long they're good for?

Pschaeffer9@hotmail.com with answers, or a reply post will work.

Thanks

Please post pics of these 'notches'.

My X-2 has never marked any of my frames or other frames strung on it.

YULitle
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Please post pics of these 'notches'.

My X-2 has never marked any of my frames or other frames strung on it.

He had it up against the screws. That's where the notches came from.

Bud
01-22-2009, 09:02 AM
He had it up against the screws. That's where the notches came from.

EEK! :shock::shock::shock:

That's a good way to break the frame, too with those huge point loads at 12/6 :oops:

Glad he asked the question and got it straightened out.