PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate your tennis game?

shadowbuster
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
When I read some of these threads, people are talking about how they are a 4.0 player, they are a 4.5 vollier. So I was wondering how do you rate your self in tennis?

JackD
02-23-2005, 06:13 AM
The rating system people are referring to is the NTRP. Its a system designed to try to keep tennis players playing against similar level players. Here's a link to the usta's website so you can get an idea of what level your at.

http://www.usta.com/leagues/custom.sps?iType=931&icustompageid=1655

kevhen
02-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Go play matches in tournaments and see how your game holds up at each level or just play against a variety of players with NTRP ratings. In the last several years I have played maybe 100 players with NTRP ratings and another 100 without. From having played so many and seeing who wins tournaments and moves up to the next level, I can fairly accurate judge each of my opponents by their consistency, power, placement, serve, groundies, volley, overheads, etc. I tend to break opponents down even farther to like weak 3.5, solid 3.5, strong 3.5, weak 4.0, solid 4.0, strong 4.0. For one full level of ability difference scores will be like 6-2, 6-1. 2 levels and the scores will almost always be 6-0, 6-0. A half level will be like 6-3, 6-3 if this holds up consistently. That is my opinion from my experiences against those with NTRP ratings.

shadowbuster
02-23-2005, 06:43 PM
thnx JackD for the website. I found out I am a 2.5 player -_-;

Marius_Hancu
02-23-2005, 06:50 PM
you might know this other thread:

Default Is the NTRP system totally acurate?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=42419

There you will find this proposed system, which I find quite realistic:
http://www.easitennis.com/NTRPSystem.htm

Scheiner
02-24-2005, 06:55 AM
I would say 4.5 volley, overheads, forehand and drop shots.
4.0 for backhand.

Mahboob Khan
02-24-2005, 07:47 AM
At national level the best way to gauge one's ability is by playing tournaments and picking ranking points. At club level, you play club level tournaments and/or ladder/round robin matches. Matches are the best tool to determine one's skill level.

For those of you who do not play tournament matches and want to have some sort of dip stick to measure their ability, the ITN system is the best. I am ITN-3. Their website is: www.oncourtassessment.com.

Vince
02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
im a 3.0-3.5

Somehwere along the lines of there

andfor
02-24-2005, 07:37 PM
At national level the best way to gauge one's ability is by playing tournaments and picking ranking points. At club level, you play club level tournaments and/or ladder/round robin matches. Matches are the best tool to determine one's skill level.

For those of you who do not play tournament matches and want to have some sort of dip stick to measure their ability, the ITN system is the best. I am ITN-3. Their website is: www.oncourtassessment.com.

Maboob, I also like the ITN. But in the US we are still under the NTRP. Do you have an opinion on the differences and have feedback about one versus the other? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

AF

International Tennis Numb
07-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Maboob, I also like the ITN. But in the US we are still under the NTRP. Do you have an opinion on the differences and have feedback about one versus the other? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

AF

In the ideal world we would have a ratings system that takes into account every single match that you play and each result would help to calculate your true rating. This only works if every player you play against is also in the same system.

In the mean time I suggest you do an ITN On Court Assessment which is an objective assessment at www.oncourtassessment.com which will give you a true indication of your level.

You can also download the ITF's latest conversion chart at www.itftennis.com/itn