PDA

View Full Version : Noooooo!!!! My fresh new VS Team popped in the bag...

goldenyama
01-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I was playing doubles here in Nagoya today when it started drizzling very lightly. I put my Prince Comp strung with VS Team/Scorpion away at the conclusion of the next game and got out another frame strung with multi/poly. It then started to rain harder and our club gave it up 30 mins later. My Comp was in a case, inside a racquet bag under shelter.

After I got home I pulled out my comp to replace the overgrip and...

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5174/poppedum2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Goddammit! I guess I should leave the VS at home when the weather is even slightly inclement. This is the first set of nat gut that has popped on me in the bag, but I usually use Klip Armour Pro. That stuff is indestructible.

Richie Rich
01-18-2009, 03:13 AM
read up on klip. some users here have reported that durability has gone downhill lately. search the strings forum and you'll find the threads.

gangster33
01-18-2009, 03:40 AM
haha sucked in dude. Maybe try a lower tension next time

Steve Huff
01-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Did it break at a knot, or up against the frame?

jim e
01-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Does not look like the string frayed all apart due to moisture, it appears like it snapped in one area,(2 places right next to each other), from looking at that picture. More like something damaged the string.
My VS got wet more times than I can count this past summer, and it still held up fine, as well as others I know of the same.As matter of fact the gut is more weather resistant now as compared to years ago, as VS does have a protective coating. Maybe there was a kink in the string when it was strung up. Looks like uneven break at top in 2 places, so may possibly be damaged near a grommet, or the string was handeled not properly while being strung(A kink I would suspect). I would look elsewheres to the problem.I have found that moisture is really not that much of a problem with gut, as some say it is.

princemidplus
01-18-2009, 05:47 AM
looks like it popped at the top grommet. i would check the grommet thoroughly to make sure there is no damage there otherwise the next string you put in will break straight away as well. maybe use some string tube over the area to protect the string there in case of damage you cannot see. if happens again you may need new grommets there or always use tubing to protect string at that point.

otherwise may have been a kink in the string when it was strung.

Bud
01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
looks like it popped at the top grommet. i would check the grommet thoroughly to make sure there is no damage there otherwise the next string you put in will break straight away as well. maybe use some string tube over the area to protect the string there in case of damage you cannot see. if happens again you may need new grommets there or always use tubing to protect string at that point.

Agreed... also, what is that white thing hanging out of the grommet where it snapped? Is that a 'tubie' or part of the gut that separated?

Il Mostro
01-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I also do not believe this is any failure on the part if the string. Damaged grommet or a glitch in mounting the racquet (if an inside support at the head was used) are at fault.

SoCal10s
01-18-2009, 08:09 AM

good advise,and check your clamps ,they maybe too tight and squeezing the string too much...

MAX PLY
01-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't think that is a moisture issue--moisture would not make the string snap that quickly (jim e is, in my opinion, correct, in his assessment of the overstated effects of moisture on gut), it is simply absorbed by the string and can make it softer and thus more subject to fraying and breakage when in use (and that doesn't mean it is ok to use your gut in the rain). It is somewhat difficult to tell by the picture but my first suspect is a bad grommet (maybe it is the photo but something looks amiss with the grommet at the top or perhaps it is tubing?); my second suspect is a pinch by the clamps (from the looks of the string, it looks like it would have been an early pull, when there is typically a little more stress on the string and clamp); and my third suspect is a bad kink in the string. The gut in the picture looks pretty thin (may be a 16L?) and obviously a little more vulnerable. Sorry, that stinks.

sk8ing
01-18-2009, 01:45 PM
ha sucks to be you

goldenyama
01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I thought it must have been the moisture because it snapped in the bag, not while playing. After reading your comments I see that it must have been the grommet. The reason it looks white in the pic is because it was a cracked grommet that I replaced with a grommet cut from a different (clear plastic) set, and shaved down to fit in the tiny Prince Comp grommet holes.

I thought I had done a good job, but I guess not good enough for 17g nat gut. I replaced many grommets with this method on my other old Comp and have had no probs, but I didn't have it strung with gut. (I don't string myself)

So the question is, what to do now? Has anybody used those single replacement grommets? I have leather 'power pads' at the bottom of this frame, should I put some up the top also to cushion the gut around the grommets?

Thanks!

jim e
01-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I would check TW web for grommet sets, and see if they have yours, and if not listed call them and see if another model will be compatable, and just replace them all at one time if possible, as they are cheap enough if they are available. It would solve the problem!I would not use the pads on the top, as you would raise the string above where it should, and a scrape on the ground and another snap.Best to see if the grommet set is avail.

Azzurri
01-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Does not look like the string frayed all apart due to moisture, it appears like it snapped in one area,(2 places right next to each other), from looking at that picture. More like something damaged the string.
My VS got wet more times than I can count this past summer, and it still held up fine, as well as others I know of the same.As matter of fact the gut is more weather resistant now as compared to years ago, as VS does have a protective coating. Maybe there was a kink in the string when it was strung up. Looks like uneven break at top in 2 places, so may possibly be damaged near a grommet, or the string was handeled not properly while being strung(A kink I would suspect). I would look elsewheres to the problem.I have found that moisture is really not that much of a problem with gut, as some say it is.

Fedace places a plastic bag over the head of the racquet to protect it from the moisture coming up from the hamlde (after play).:roll:

TheShaun
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM

Fedace places a plastic bag over the head of the racquet to protect it from the moisture coming up from the hamlde (after play).:roll:

Fedace is in a league of his own. But with all seriousness (and don't take that to mean I take him seriously), I'm glad he's here. Makes me laugh almost daily.

jim e
01-18-2009, 05:05 PM

Isn't that a big joke! What will be next?
But in all honesty, moisture and gut is not all as bad as posters say it is. I kept my worse condition all gut set up VS, just to hit in wet weather,(at that time the strings were already fraying, and the protective coating was well worn off)and then hit more with it, it got a lot of wet, and dry usage and those strings held up fine, along with other people who hit with gut as well having the same results. Very possible the strings may have held up longer if they did not get so wet, but they still gave me a great amount of hours hitting with them. I no longer use a different string for wet weather, and just use the most worn down strings for that.I just dry the strings with a towel, and sprinkle baby powder in the racquet cover after use in wet weather.

Azzurri
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Isn't that a big joke! What will be next?
But in all honesty, moisture and gut is not all as bad as posters say it is. I kept my worse condition all gut set up VS, just to hit in wet weather,(at that time the strings were already fraying, and the protective coating was well worn off)and then hit more with it, it got a lot of wet, and dry usage and those strings held up fine, along with other people who hit with gut as well having the same results. Very possible the strings may have held up longer if they did not get so wet, but they still gave me a great amount of hours hitting with them. I no longer use a different string for wet weather, and just use the most worn down strings for that.I just dry the strings with a towel, and sprinkle baby powder in the racquet cover after use in wet weather.

exactly, gut is coated now. Its much more moisture resistant then back in the day.

Fedace also lies to people about sending strings. really creepy if you ask me.

Azzurri
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Azzurri;3018505]

Fedace is in a league of his own. But with all seriousness (and don't take that to mean I take him seriously), I'm glad he's here. Makes me laugh almost daily.

Have to disagree with you on Fedache. he causes more problems than he is worth.

Il Mostro
01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=TheShaun;3018536]

Have to disagree with you on Fedache. he causes more problems than he is worth.

+1 He's dead from the neck up. And a whiner to boot.

Azzurri
01-20-2009, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=Azzurri;3021795]

+1 He's dead from the neck up. And a whiner to boot.

ha ha ha..good one. He is probably the semi-reject that works at Mcd's across the street from Stanford. So in his dillusional schizofrenic mind he went to Stanford. He should talk to John Nash...Nash would tell him to ignore the voices.:)

The_Question
01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
This could be a string job related issue. Or perhaps the crosses were cutting into the 2 mains...

Zhou
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
By where it was broken, it is more than likely it was a break at the grommet and nothing related to the string job.

equinox
01-24-2009, 01:16 AM
the string dumped you. Next time treat her right. taking her out in the rain.. she's doesn't like puddles!

goldenyama
01-29-2009, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=Il Mostro;3022410]

ha ha ha..good one. He is probably the semi-reject that works at Mcd's across the street from Stanford. So in his dillusional schizofrenic mind he went to Stanford. He should talk to John Nash...Nash would tell him to ignore the voices.:)

Thanks everybody for the advice. I have fixed the grommet and strung it up again and so far all good.

Fark me but you guys are right about Fedace...I found myself arguing with him in another thread and he really takes the f**ked up cookie. Just insane.

Zhou
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=Azzurri;3024516]

Thanks everybody for the advice. I have fixed the grommet and strung it up again and so far all good.

Fark me but you guys are right about Fedace...I found myself arguing with him in another thread and he really takes the f**ked up cookie. Just insane.

I do have to say I have received his promised Big Ace. So I do have to give him some props for that.