PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Asterisk Tour mini review

goldenyama
01-18-2009, 12:43 AM
I was intrigued by the idea of a multi with poly strands, so I bought a pack of Asterisk Tour 17g and strung it in the mains of a TT Rad OS with Weisscannon Scorpion in the crosses at 59/56.

Considering its low stiffness and tension loss ratings of 180 and 12.53 I was expecting Asterisk Tour to pretty much feel just like a multi. It doesn't. The feel, sound, spin and control really resembled a soft poly. It was definately less powerful than the multi I usually use, Kirschbaum Touch. I would say that the Asterisk Tour main/Scorpion cross hybrid felt and performed more like a soft poly main/multi cross hybrid.

Despite having a lot of the stiff feel of a poly, I found Asterisk Tour to be very comfortable. I don't use poly mains because of my tender elbow, but I experienced no pain after hitting and playing doubles for two hours.

I would definately recommend Asterisk Tour to those wanting some poly-like performance in an arm-friendly package.

Azzurri
01-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Not sure if this Asterik Tour is anything like the Asterik that was given away for free last year, but it does play well for maybe 2 hours. After that it went dead rather quickly and lost all feel/spin. I gave away my other 2 packs. Not worth the price and effort to string my racquets with Asterik. If this string is different, then that is good. Because the original Asterik was not that good.

goldenyama
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, I'll have to let you know after I've played with it a bit more and can judge any loss of playability. 2 hours is very bad for a multi...my Kirschbaum Touch plays well until it breaks.

Azzurri
01-19-2009, 07:35 AM
I have yet to have a multi play more than a few matches without starting to lose playability. I don't mind a multi as a cross, but no longer bothering as a main. let us know how this Aterik tour plays for you.:)

murrmanfan13
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
dont know if your reading this, but how long did it last? i strung it up with alu power in the mains and it felt great. was wondering if it would lose tension faster than my x-1

Virtua Tennis
09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Not sure if this Asterik Tour is anything like the Asterik that was given away for free last year, but it does play well for maybe 2 hours. After that it went dead rather quickly and lost all feel/spin. I gave away my other 2 packs. Not worth the price and effort to string my racquets with Asterik. If this string is different, then that is good. Because the original Asterik was not that good.

Asterisk Tour is nothing like regular Asterisk. Regular Asterisk is way softer Tour is stiffer and has a lot more power and holds it's tension the longest compared to any other string I used.

The only thing is that I do mix I use Asterisk Tour with NXT for my crosses. I hit hard and serve hard and I strung a pair with that combo in June it lasted me until September. When the strings lost it's feel and I finally broke one I was surprised with how long I had it in my racquet. I'd say it's one of the best strings I've ever used.

JackB1
03-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Anyone else try this string as a hybrid or in a full set?