PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a couple grass court Masters events?

tvp900
01-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Aside from the grass court season being what? Four or Five weeks long? Should there be a couple more weeks and make them masters events? I never understood why the grass court season was so short.

NickC
01-18-2009, 09:11 AM
The grass season is one or two warm-ups, (London and Nottingham) and then Wimby. If there is a grass masters, it should be played as the first grass court event of the year, and it should be played on fast grass, not green clay.

aceroberts13
01-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Waaaay more grass is needed on tour. Less clay more grass I say.

seffina
01-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Actually, I think it should be less hard, more grass. And a carpet masters as well.

ESP#1
01-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Way too many hard court events i agree, queens should become a masters maybe

SmAsH999
01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
i feel that the masters series is all about dedication to hard court play; it has been for years.

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I would say less hard more grass so that the events would be equally balanced between the 3 surfaces.

All-rounder
01-18-2009, 10:59 AM
without more grass court events then the possibility of any player reaching nadal and federer's level is very small

jazar
01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Way too many hard court events i agree, queens should become a masters maybe

i agree. the grass court season should be extended by a couple of weeks and queens would make a great masters event.

saram
01-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Actually, I think it should be less hard, more grass. And a carpet masters as well.

I agree with that--especially that all the hard court tournaments are held during the time when the players are getting worn down physically. More grass could mean less injuries and more interesting tennis if the kept the surface of grass slick, fast, and low-bouncing.

FiveO
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
IMO there should be, but not where most want to shoehorn them in.

Despite my disliking the slowing of Wimbledon's playing conditions, widening the interval between RG and SW19 will just serve as another dilution of the tests that tennis has historically presented at its various venues.

After Wimbledon the schedule seems a bit disjointed with its mix of clay and hardcourts prior to the start of the US Open series.

Placing an MS there would alleviate the longish hardcourt grind that now with the elimination of carpet, extends from July through the YEC.

An even more perfect fit would have been after the AO, and during a section of the calendar which is a real mish-mosh of surfaces and venues, i.e. indoors/outdoors, clay/hardcourts.

But where?

In a perfect world I would have prefered a return of the AO to grass, or even a change to Har-Tru, a following MS event on a like surface, a return of truly quick surfaces following RG, i.e. grass, hardcourt and finishing the year on carpet and sooner than they do now (both in the interest of reducing the increased pounding the players are going to be subjected to now).

paterson
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
The problem is time and location: Where to hold it and when. The biggest grass tournament other than Wimbledon is Queen's, and it's venue is nowhere close to adequate to hold a Masters event. It's impossible to squeeze a Masters event between RG and Wimbledon, unless they move Wimbledon back a couple of weeks.

NickC
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Paris is a carpet. Or was. As was Madrid.

matchmaker
01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Happy to see so many people agree more grass is needed. An even balance between grass / clay and HC would be very beneficial for the players' health and the diversity of playing styles we would get on the tour.

MarrratSafin
01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, there are way too few grass tournaments at the moment.

tacou
01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
should there be another thread discussing this? I feel like there's already 5 with the exact same title.

bjk
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
They could move the Miami masters to after Wimbledon and put it on grass. It has the advantage of being in the US, but then there would be three North American masters between Wimbledon and US open.

The Halle tournament in Germany is grass, as is Newport in RI right after wimbledon. One thing about grass is that it favors veterans. The semis at Wimbledon had Clement and Scheuttler and the Newport final last year had Santoro play Spadea.

Fee
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
A 'couple' of Masters on grass? No, not without drastic retooling of the schedule that would probably never happen. Adding two more weeks between RG and W to include a masters at Halle? That I could go with.

Lendl and Federer Fan
01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, there should be a couple grass AMS before the W. And Wimbledon should move to late July or early August to make room for these. :twisted:

kelz
01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes, there should be Masters events on grass.

Ari Gold
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I definitely think there should. I love playing on grass and it would certainly change things up a bit.

aceroberts13
01-18-2009, 06:01 PM

That is a very good point. The hard court tournaments should be slimmed down as well.

TheMusicLover
01-18-2009, 06:07 PM
More grass (at least ONE Masters!) and more carpet would be great, as there would be more variety in surfaces, and thus, in the game. Most welcome, especially now that 90% of tennis seems to be played on either clay or slow-to-medium HC.

I've understood that the reason the grass season is so short is not merely because of the schedule - but also because it's very expensive to keep, in contrary to clay and HC-courts.
Too bad.

Oh, and a side-note: let's at least make sure that the few grasscourts remain real GRASS, and not that slow green stuff that seems to be growing on the courts at Wimbly nowadays... ;)