PDA

View Full Version : Most Dominant Grand Slam Semi Ever Played?

SmAsH999
01-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey, talk tennis. I've been a huge Tsonga fan for a little over a year now, and I recently rediscovered his semi at the Aussy Open 08 vs Nadal. Now this obviously wasn't the most dominant display of tennis ever, but I believe that Tsonga played the big points exceptionally better than Nadal. Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNTiryXASI&NR=1

norbac
01-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Also Roddick/Fed from the Aussie Open 07 was pretty one sided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQm_B9jKYI&feature=PlayList&p=FCE4DD0FEC4B6D85&playnext=1&index=66

All-rounder
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
i was just watching this 10 mins ago

All-rounder
01-18-2009, 10:11 AM
oh and tsonga has insane volleys and dropshots

EPaps
01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Tsonga had the most amazing drop volleys I'd ever seen

edmondsm
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Tsonga owned in that match. I remember waiting for the moment to get to him, and maybe he would cool off/tighten up a bit. Obviously didn't happen.

saram
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I guess one could call it 'dominating'....although Tsonga was just playing sick tennis out of his skull. He could do nothing wrong and Rafa could do nothing right. I will always wonder if it was just an off day for Rafa with Tsonga not missing a thing or if Tsonga was just so good that he made Rafa look bad.

I did notice that Tsonga was not hitting his shots and volleys like that the following day against Nole.

Either way--that display by Tsonga in the semis was truly domination and exceptional play against an exceptional player.

norbac
01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I guess one could call it 'dominating'....although Tsonga was just playing sick tennis out of his skull. He could do nothing wrong and Rafa could do nothing right. I will always wonder if it was just an off day for Rafa with Tsonga not missing a thing or if Tsonga was just so good that he made Rafa look bad.

I did notice that Tsonga was not hitting his shots and volleys like that the following day against Nole.

Either way--that display by Tsonga in the semis was truly domination and exceptional play against an exceptional player.

If he would have played Nole like he played Rafa, he would have been the champ in Australia.

tacou
01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Tsonga/Nadal was pretty special.

however I think the duo of 07AO semis; Roger/Roddick and Haas/Gonzalez was ridiculous.

Fena had something like 4 UEs in the whole match, never lost serve and blew through the match in 91minutes.

JeMar
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Nadal played well in that match, but Tsonga just played right through him.

okdude1992
01-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Tsonga/Nadal was pretty special.

however I think the duo of 07AO semis; Roger/Roddick and Haas/Gonzalez was ridiculous.

Fena had something like 4 UEs in the whole match, never lost serve and blew through the match in 91minutes.

gonzo was superhuman this tourney except for the final. he was hitting like 40+ winners a match and <10 UEs. i wanna see those stats again

akv89
01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Also Roddick/Fed from the Aussie Open 07 was pretty one sided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQm_B9jKYI&feature=PlayList&p=FCE4DD0FEC4B6D85&playnext=1&index=66

The other semi that year between Gonzalez and Haas was even more one-sided. Gonzalez had 40+ winners and just 3 unforced errors.

TheTruth
01-18-2009, 11:45 AM

I think that's it in a nutshell. It was meant to be. Tsonga was everywhere he needed to be at precisely the moment he needed to be there. Those are the breaks. He hasn't played that way before or since.

127mph
01-18-2009, 11:50 AM
gonzo beating tommy haas in 07 was pretty harsh as well.

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 11:55 AM

I think it was a little bit of both: Tsonga being in the Zone and Rafa being somewhat limited on hard courts. If it had been on clay I suspect Rafa would have found a way to break Tsonga's confidence but on hard, he didn't have enough confidence himself to manage that.

NickC
01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
The most dominant match, or overall tournament? For most dominant match, look no further than Federer's win over Bjorkman in the 2006 Wimby Semis. I believe the score was 2, 1 and love or something similar. A complete and through asskicking.

SmAsH999
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
as it was said in the match, "you deserve a bit of luck when you play that aggresively."