PDA

View Full Version : Did Djokovic tank vs. Niemenen at Medibank

bjk
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm watching the replay and he's not playing with any intensity. Maybe he didn't want to play the final, figured a few warm up matches were enough . . .

edberg505
01-18-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm watching the replay and he's not playing with any intensity. Maybe he didn't want to play the final, figured a few warm up matches were enough . . .

You gotta love how no one is giving the fighting Fin any credit for his win.

tacou
01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I didn't see the match, all I can is it would've been stupid of Novak to try and win this tournament.

joshburger
01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
all i can say is novak is generally competitive so it seems unlikley that he would try to lose purposly, but who knows

moonbat
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM

You're right, Nieminen played really well.

bjk
01-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I think there's a difference between tanking and not caring if you lose. The announcers said that "Niemenen is holding nothing in reserve" suggesting that NJ might be . . . the crowd whistled at him after one miss, which is telling. And he's clearly bothered by his racket, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for a PJ at AO.

fluffy Beaver
01-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I guess now a days when a top player losers it's because they decided to lose not because they got beat.

I guess the racquet throwing and him yelling was just a show for tanking not him wanting to win.

True dat, his passing shots were amazing as well as his grinding.

oneleggedcardinal
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
To the OP:

I don't think he did. Here's why I think he simply got beat:

If he won that match, he would have gotten #2 in the world, so, if his goal was to play the tournament as a warm up, why didn't he simply win the match, get #2, and then 'tank' the final? He would have gotten two things he supposedly wants (#2 in the world and a warm-up) instead of just one (a warm-up). If I were Djokovic (who you speculate was just using the matches leading up to the tournament final as warm-ups), the first option would make a hell of a lot more sense to me.

Edit: Also, Nieminen played fairly well.

seffina
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Really? I thought Nole looked ****ed what with the throwing his racket and all that.

vive le beau jeu !
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
right, poor nieminen ! :?

djokovic could have become #2 had he won that match... so i don't think he tanked.
also, he was exempted of 1st round at sydney (28-players draw) and won his previous 2 matches relatively easily... so i don't think the risk of "exhaustion before a slam" was high enough for making him tank.

ryushen21
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm watching the match right now as well. I think that Djoko looks a little sluggish on some of his shots but it doesn't look like he's just intentionally shanking things left and right. His reactions and emotions are very real especially when he misses key shots during long rallies.

fgzhu88
01-18-2009, 12:42 PM
why would he want to get #2? It's totally cool to stay @ 3:lol:

harryz
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
by the wind and by Niemenen taking pace off of the ball. At 3-4 15-40 in the second, Djoker had chances on Niemenen's serve and showed his usual intensity. He seemed into the match but simply frustrated, to me.

bjk
01-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Definitely tanking it. He didn't even bother to run after a gettable net cord . . . would he do that at the AO? I don't think so.

Tony48
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
No, he didn't tank it from what I can tell. He was visibly frustrated when he missed his shots, plus the wind didn't do him any favors.

Also, seems like the pressure of attain the #2 spot in the world got to him again.

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
He seemed to be frustrated with his new racquet.

kelz
01-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I mean, a title means nothing.He seemed to be frustrated with his new racquet.

I agree, he seems very uncomfortable.

tacou
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I think like someone said there's a difference between tanking and not giving your all, especially after losing the first in a tb.

zagor
01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a hard time believing that losing in a second set tiebreak is tanking.If he wanted to tank he would most likely lose 6-4 or 6-3.Plus he was being nervous,throwing his racquet when he didn't convert a BP,yelling etc. I think he was just frustrated that his form isn't there and was probably feeling some pressure that it was a match for the second spot.On the other hand Nieminen fought very well and played a great match so some credit should go to him as well,let's not forget he's a good,capable player .

CocaCola
01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
That is just his "bad form" trick to cheat the people and his opponents before his title defence. I gues he succeded because he is rated as 4th favourite for wining the AO.

Tempest344
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
no I was there..Niemenen was chasing everything and playing out of his mind