PDA

View Full Version : My Serve Sucks!

TNEU91
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
~Disclaimer~
This is my second time at the courts in two months due to injury, and the weather was below freezing with a wind chill of around 20. With that said my forehands and backhands are back to normal but my serve is terrible.

Please feel free to tell me what I am doing so wrong with my serve.
And sorry for the bad angle!

I put it on File front so you can download and do slo-mo.

Flat Serves:
http://files.filefront.com/My+Servesmpg/;13016927;/fileinfo.html

Thanks a lot. Hope you guys can help.

LeeD
01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
First of all, get rid of that little left foot squiggle. You are footfaulting the majority of serves.
Second, spread your feet wider at the setup. You can easily get off balance or get blown offbalance with such a narrow stance.
Other than that, it looks good to go.

kelz
01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
~Disclaimer~
This is my second time at the courts in two months due to injury, and the weather was below freezing with a wind chill of around 20. With that said my forehands and backhands are back to normal but my serve is terrible.

Please feel free to tell me what I am doing so wrong with my serve.
And sorry for the bad angle!

I put it on File front so you can download and do slo-mo.

Flat Serves:
http://files.filefront.com/My+Servesmpg/;13016927;/fileinfo.html

Thanks a lot. Hope you guys can help.

Why would you even play in those conditions.

oneguy21
01-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Your serves suck? I think they were pretty good. You're foot faulting, but other than that it's fine. It would help if you could put the camera behind you so we can see where the balls are going. Seriously, those serves aren't perfect but they're pretty darn good!

TNEU91
01-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Appreciate the feedback and encouragement guys. Any other things I need to work on besides:

Wider Stance
Left Foot Wiggle

-I just feel like my racquet take back is a little awkward, but it looks similar to Djokovic IMO.

LeeD
01-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Your swing looks fine.
Only thing about your racket prep is that you use a two stage system, which means it MIGHT be more prone to errors in pressure situations or when you get tired.
When at trophy position, everything is looking good. But as you start your swing, you bend your truck and lower your hitting arm, THEN you start your swing. I'm concerned that extra TWO movements might make the serve inconsistent in height control. One or the other is OK, neither is better, but BOTH means more mechanics to overcome to get consistent height control over the net.
Yes, I'm old, but keeping it as simple as possible is the best early technique training, then you can go on to anything after you got the basic down.

TNEU91
01-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Thats my biggest weakness - my serves going long. What do you mean by bending your truck? I will try to fix this when I play today.

RoddickAce
01-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Edit: Nvm, looked more clearly...

TNEU91
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I am also wondering if I should stretch my hip out more?

wishsong
01-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Your serve is fine. MINE needs some work. I'm not being modest like some people >_>

TNEU91
01-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Dude ive been playing for like 11 months with no coaching, im sure it could use some help.

LeeD
01-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Bending your trunk means you look like an archer on the setup, then all of a sudden, you aim for the sky!
This is OK on a twist or kick serve, as you are actually swinging for the sky. But for a topspin or flat serve, the ball starts out almost level, and you don't need to aim upwards.
Watch your vid. Your toss is OK, good trophy, then you bend sideways at the trunk which makes you look upwards and face upwards. When you swing thru, your trunk levels out again. I guess the amount of levelling is making your hitting platform go from way high to possibly waay low, so you have little control of the height of the ball over the net.
Couple that movement with you dropping the racket arm slightly, and you have two movements just on the prep which you don't necessarily need.
For sure, a practiced pro level player can have ONE of the movements, and still have a great serve. But it'd take him 8 years of service practice to get a consistent strong serve.
I think practicing with consistency in mind first, and if you want later, then go for the extra pace you might get from the trunk (your torso) bend.

RoddickAce
01-19-2009, 08:26 AM
For the first two serves you hit, it kind of looks like the mistake Brent Able points out in this video http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=x1RTixZhir4 at 1:17. So it looks like "you locked your arm and it comes straight down" as he put it.

oneguy21
01-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Snap that wrist. Wrist pronation can improve your serve dramatically.

TNEU91
01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Keep the tips coming - im on my way to the courts right now. Will try to fix everything.

Captain Tezuka
01-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Hi,

Yep both my 1sst and 2nd serve sucks except for when I apply topspin to it then it lands and i can start the point. I try to get my flat serve in too. But the problem with that is the ball toss and other problems. :lol:

reomi
01-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Sounds like you're getting some great tips. I can't imagine how cold it felt out there. It might be easier if you had access to indoor courts to see what is really from the weather and what is in need of attention.

Caveat empetor: my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I may be a little off here.

First, why the rush? It isn't until your 3rd serve that you actually come to a pause/rest between the ball bounces and starting your motion.

Second, you're left foot is killing you. Not only b/c you're foot faulting. You're also changing its position relative to the base line from angled, to parallel all with a lot of fidgeting. That is causing your knee and hips to adjust and robbing you of a stable platform to hit from. Come to a rest after your bounces, set your feet, and then begin the weight transfer.

Your take back looks good. Down and up together with the arms. Its hard to tell because the camera angle doesn't let us see it. However, it looks like you're tossing a little low and as a result you're rushed. Try tossing 1-2ft higher and really trying to reach up to the ball with your left hand as you reach trophy and begin your swing up to the ball. Sometimes it helps me to imagine there is a string running from my sternum through my left wrist and pulling me up towards the ball. This helps to bow you chest up towards the ball and keep everything moving in the right direction.

This will keep you from looking down a little sooner than what I'd like to see. When you look down too soon, it pulls your shoulders down and either sends your serve into the net or forces you to hit out more and you send it long.

Lastly, your knee bend could be a little deeper. However, really until you address your stance, and get everything else worked out, you're fine. That extra 1-2ft on the toss will give you time for a deeper knee bend and allow you to move up to the ball with more force.

Of course, others may disagree. I don't profess to know more than what works for me. Hopefully it can help you.

TNEU91
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Sounds like you're getting some great tips. I can't imagine how cold it felt out there. It might be easier if you had access to indoor courts to see what is really from the weather and what is in need of attention.

Caveat empetor: my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I may be a little off here.

First, why the rush? It isn't until your 3rd serve that you actually come to a pause/rest between the ball bounces and starting your motion.

Second, you're left foot is killing you. Not only b/c you're foot faulting. You're also changing its position relative to the base line from angled, to parallel all with a lot of fidgeting. That is causing your knee and hips to adjust and robbing you of a stable platform to hit from. Come to a rest after your bounces, set your feet, and then begin the weight transfer.

Your take back looks good. Down and up together with the arms. Its hard to tell because the camera angle doesn't let us see it. However, it looks like you're tossing a little low and as a result you're rushed. Try tossing 1-2ft higher and really trying to reach up to the ball with your left hand as you reach trophy and begin your swing up to the ball. Sometimes it helps me to imagine there is a string running from my sternum through my left wrist and pulling me up towards the ball. This helps to bow you chest up towards the ball and keep everything moving in the right direction.

This will keep you from looking down a little sooner than what I'd like to see. When you look down too soon, it pulls your shoulders down and either sends your serve into the net or forces you to hit out more and you send it long.

Lastly, your knee bend could be a little deeper. However, really until you address your stance, and get everything else worked out, you're fine. That extra 1-2ft on the toss will give you time for a deeper knee bend and allow you to move up to the ball with more force.

Of course, others may disagree. I don't profess to know more than what works for me. Hopefully it can help you.

Thanks for that. Ill work on it ASAP.