PDA

View Full Version : Popularity in Tennis- More than its ever been globally? How about in America?

GameSampras
01-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Would you say Tennis today is more popular and a worldwide phenomenon at this point than any other time in history? How about the popularity in America? Would you say Tennis in general is the phenomenon today as it was decades prior at least from the 80s on? Certainly more foreigen countries are participating in tennis at a higher rate it seems. Not so sure about america compared to the last 2-3 decades

R_Federer
01-18-2009, 03:07 PM
America - No

Outside of America - Yes

C-XIII
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Outside of america I would say yes as R Federer said. In the U.S. I think it may actually be picking up more.I think the more tennis pushes away from its traditional views and yet keeps it there it will attract more people. I started playing when I was in 7th grade and I would of never gotten into it had my instructor had not been crushing serves and not having that polo niceness look that I thought most tennis players were like. Tennis I think can let all types of people play and so I think it will grow in the U.S. as more younger people start playing.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
The people here in U.S. tend to think tennis is for homosexuals, and of course, gridiron football is a sport favored over everything over in U.S.

C-XIII
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah i agree its just because of that old traditional viewing.At least thats what it seems to me.It wont ever be as popular as more contact sports are but i see more american kids playing especially if we can get another great american player again.

TennezSport
01-19-2009, 03:15 PM
The last time I checked tennis was number 12 or 14 in USA sports and number 2 or 3 in the world behind Futbol (Soccer). Tennis is growing again in the US (due to the money you can make, if you make it today) but still far behind team sports.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

tata
01-19-2009, 03:21 PM
In australia i would say so.Mainly attributed to federers dominating years and success at the australian open and wimbledon (those are the 2 tournaments they broadcast here).When i see newbies starting to learn or muck around on court they always tend to refer to federer.Even my girlfriends that never play tennis at least know federer and they only like to watch him play.Then came nadal which made things more interesting for the boys.

R_Federer
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Also the reason for the popularity being down in US is simple. Americans are not that good in tennis anymore at the moment. That is ever since Sampras left. Every country talks about sports which they are GOOD at. Look at US for example, they dont talk about tennis, the Slams even get maybe a minute or two on Sportscenter. YET they LOVE cycling because of Lance Armstrong. CYCLING?!?! That just proves my point: if a country is not doing good at a sport the popularity really goes down.

Morrissey
01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Would you say Tennis today is more popular and a worldwide phenomenon at this point than any other time in history? How about the popularity in America? Would you say Tennis in general is the phenomenon today as it was decades prior at least from the 80s on? Certainly more foreigen countries are participating in tennis at a higher rate it seems. Not so sure about america compared to the last 2-3 decades

I take it you don't live in America then? Because if you did you would sort get an idea of how tennis is almost to the point of obscurity. I seriously wonder if it's behind soccer here in terms of popularity. It rarely gets coverage on Sportscenter unless it's Grand Slam time, which means 4 times a year and it's always at the tail end of the Sportscenter time slot. I wasn't around in the late 70's early 80's to experience the popularity of tennis in America. I was around but too young to know about it. But I hear it was way more popular back then. I personally don't have too much of a problem with people not really following tennis. As long as I get to watch it on TV/internet and play with the crew that I play with in my neighborhood.