PDA

View Full Version : The Aussies were swarming Nadal. And its like Hewitt doesnt exist. LOL

GameSampras
01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
These friggin aussies I tell ya. :) Swarming the flavor of the year Nadal just on his way to a practice Court, meanwhile their countryman hero Hewitt, they could care less about. Nadal barely get to and from the practice courts while being mobbed.. Meanwhile Hewitt is lonely, and gingerly walking by himself un noticed

All aboard that Nadal bandwagon.. Hes more popular in Australia, then well... Australian tennis players and one that has 2 GS at that

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Nadal is the most popular everywhere. He was also the most mobbed at the practice courts of USO. Actually when I was there, I didn't have to look if he was arriving, as soon as I heard the loudest screams, I knew he had come in to practise!

djokster
01-18-2009, 04:35 PM
lol. i was just laughing so hard when i saw that clip on espn2...

GameSampras
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Nadal is the most popular everywhere. He was also the most mobbed at the practice courts of USO. Actually when I was there, I didn't have to look if he was arriving, as soon as I heard the loudest screams, I knew he had come in to practise!

I tell ya.. Nadal seems so popular now, the fans would probably be swarming him at the US OPEN over Pete and Andre if they were still playing. I dont get it. Shouldnt the respective countries want to swarm who is representing that country? I mean its not like Hewitt is an unknown. But it sure looked it there for a minute. I though Nadal might have been Aussie

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
I must say the ESPN2 clip kind of scared me, it looked like Nadal was going to choke there, the guards seemed totally helpless. I think Hewitt is better off with some more personal space around him! Did you hear what Gilbert said afterwards? He said Nadal should go train somewhere else, lol.

Fedace
01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Aussie fans figure, Hewitt will just go out in the 1st round anyway.. so why not follow around someone that will make it to the finals...lol

miyagi
01-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Nadal does seem to have Iconic status....I think people really do like his "image"

Good for him.....

J-man
01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
They will fill the court when he is playing but people simply rather go and see the #1 player in the world practice then a past his prime Hewitt

TheMusicLover
01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I must say the ESPN2 clip kind of scared me, it looked like Nadal was going to choke there, the guards seemed totally helpless. I think Hewitt is better off with some more personal space around him! Did you hear what Gilbert said afterwards? He said Nadal should go train somewhere else, lol.

It's one of the reasons why Federer (who enjoys a comparable popularity to Nadal's btw) quite often indeed goes training elsewhere. Not a bad move at all (though I'm sure some will immediately deem it an 'arrogant' move again :roll: ), as those 'fans' can indeed be very obnoxious and even scary.
I've seen a complete bunch of kids running down a merchandise stand at Hamburg last year... scary indeed.

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I must say that at USO during matches, Federer had massive support from the crowd and I saw a lot fans with Federer tee-shirts but at practice Nadal drew MUCH more attention, I know because sometimes they practised at the same time, Nadal was always where the "buzz" was.

SirBlend12
01-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I must say that at USO during matches, Federer had massive support from the crowd and I saw a lot fans with Federer tee-shirts but at practice Nadal drew MUCH more attention, I know because sometimes they practised at the same time, Nadal was always where the "buzz" was.

Veroniquem, This is a bit off topic yet a bit on...

Is it just me or is this stereotype on the boards that Americans only care about American players, will only root for them, dislike foreign players, etc. just total crap? (Same could be said for the Hewitt/ Aussie crowd thing)

Just wondering.

veroniquem
01-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Is it just me or is this stereotype on the boards that Americans only care about American players, will only root for them, dislike foreign players, etc. just total crap? (Same could be said for the Hewitt/ Aussie crowd thing)

Just wondering.
The crowd at USO is very international. I met people from all over the world there. My feeling is the evening crowd might be more American and also more patriotic. During evening matches, I found that the crowd is unconditionally behind Blake or Roddick, during the day reactions are more mixed.

Tempest344
01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
That would happen anywhere...Nadal is the NO 1 in the world and very popular

You obviously haven't been to a Match Over here with Hewitt playing I take it.......

SirBlend12
01-18-2009, 09:52 PM
The crowd at USO is very international. I met people from all over the world there. My feeling is the evening crowd might be more American and also more patriotic. During evening matches, I found that the crowd is unconditionally behind Blake or Roddick, during the day reactions are more mixed.

Hmm. Interesting... Thanks, btw. I may end up dragging my way there this year. I figure a 4 hour drive isn't that great a reason not to go lol.

I've just never understood any logic in patriotism or nationalism in a sport like tennis (except Davis Cup, Olympics... given). It's just individual people playing other individual people. I'd rather watch the best ones than pretend to care about American players just because they're American. About the only one I'd still watch (sadly enough) is Roddick. It'd be fun to play "Guess How Many Aces...".

TheTruth
01-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Hmm. Interesting... Thanks, btw. I may end up dragging my way there this year. I figure a 4 hour drive isn't that great a reason not to go lol.

I've just never understood any logic in patriotism or nationalism in a sport like tennis (except Davis Cup, Olympics... given). It's just individual people playing other individual people. I'd rather watch the best ones than pretend to care about American players just because they're American. About the only one I'd still watch (sadly enough) is Roddick. It'd be fun to play "Guess How Many Aces...".

I totally agree. I don't get that either. It's about sport, not home soil. Give me the best, who cares where they were born?

TheMusicLover
01-19-2009, 03:05 AM
I totally agree. I don't get that either. It's about sport, not home soil. Give me the best, who cares where they were born?

Here's another one. Save the silly patriottism for footie matches.

rolandg
01-19-2009, 03:08 AM
These friggin aussies I tell ya. :) Swarming the flavor of the year Nadal just on his way to a practice Court, meanwhile their countryman hero Hewitt, they could care less about. Nadal barely get to and from the practice courts while being mobbed.. Meanwhile Hewitt is lonely, and gingerly walking by himself un noticed

All aboard that Nadal bandwagon.. Hes more popular in Australia, then well... Australian tennis players and one that has 2 GS at that

That doesn't make sense. The expression is 'couldn't care less'. I don't know why Americans say that.

Gorecki
01-19-2009, 03:42 AM
well.. he is the flavour of the month

edberg505
01-19-2009, 05:05 AM
That doesn't make sense. The expression is 'couldn't care less'. I don't know why Americans say that.

LOL, so you think only Americans misuse that expression?

rolandg
01-19-2009, 05:15 AM
LOL, so you think only Americans misuse that expression?

Pretty much. In the UK, Oz, NZ, it is always 'couldn't care less', but whenever I hear or read Americans saying it, they always say 'could care less', which doesn't make sense, when it is used in the context the OP has used it in.

edberg505
01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Pretty much. In the UK, Oz, NZ, it is always 'couldn't care less', but whenever I hear or read Americans saying it, they always say 'could care less', which doesn't make sense, when it is used in the context the OP has used it in.

How do you know the OP is American?

rolandg
01-19-2009, 05:55 AM
How do you know the OP is American?

I can tell

edberg505
01-19-2009, 05:55 AM
You can tell

How? Do tell.

rolandg
01-19-2009, 06:02 AM
How? Do tell.

He uses American phrases, spells words the American way etc. If he isn't American, he has learnt to read and write English by someone using American terms and spellings.

edberg505
01-19-2009, 06:11 AM
He uses American phrases, spells words the American way etc. If he isn't American, he has learnt to read and write English by someone using American terms and spellings.

Hmm, so do you think I am American?

rolandg
01-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Hmm, so do you think I am American?

Don't care to be honest mate.

edberg505
01-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Don't care to be honest mate.

LOL, fair enough "mate".

Dan007
01-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Man I didn't get to see that on espn probably cause I fell asleep around 1 am on my couch.

Andyk028
01-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Americans don't really have any interest in Hewitt. When he was No.1 thats totally different because a whole new level of fame is at your fingertips. It could also be that racist remark he made to the umpire about James Blake and some random linesperson being black.

Morrissey
01-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Just wondering.

Sorry to jump in here but I feel compelled to answer this. I think it's mostly true. But the knowledgeable tennis fans in America are more about the players who are good than just "American players". But outside of this forum the tennis fans out there don't really follow the game closely to know who exists besides Nadal & Fed. And I'm shocked they even know THEM. Sadly, I think we make up a big part of hardcore tennis fans in the world, more so in America. But maybe I'm just being negative.

slicekick95
01-19-2009, 10:02 AM

really?? when i was there, federer and nadal both got mobbed equally lol. Then djokovic was like second tier mobbed. Murray didnt get too much attention, a litle less than mardy fish. but when roddick came out, the gate freaking moved thats how many peole were poushing and shoving to get to him. more than nadal and fed.

Chauvalito
01-19-2009, 10:03 AM
They will fill the court when he is playing but people simply rather go and see the #1 player in the world practice then a past his prime Hewitt

I don't know what else needs to be said other than the above.

Nadal overtook Hewitt in popularity a long time ago, and he is the number one player in the world, and he has won 5 slams etc. etc.

Morrissey
01-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Hewitt was never popular with fans in Australia. He was a well known personality because he was #1 and won a couple of slams but he was never revered like Rafter. Who even has a stadium named after him in Sydney. Nadal is a great player and a great sportsman. He fits the idea of the Australian tennis personality. Humble and plays hard. I know serve and volley is Aussie tradition but S&V is over for now. Despite what some trolls want to believe here, Nadal is very popular around the world and justifiably so.

bolo
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Hewitt was never popular with fans in Australia. He was a well known personality because he was #1 and won a couple of slams but he was never revered like Rafter. Who even has a stadium named after him in Sydney. Nadal is a great player and a great sportsman. He fits the idea of the Australian tennis personality. Humble and plays hard. I know serve and volley is Aussie tradition but S&V is over for now. Despite what some trolls want to believe here, Nadal is very popular around the world and justifiably so.

It seems like that's true. There was an article that started with the line, pat rafter looks like the kind of guy you want to have a beer with, lleyton hewitt looks like the kind of guy you want invade poland with. lol.

thejoe
01-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Why shouldn't he be popular? He's a really nice guy, and the world #1. Enough said. There's going to be hype around him.

Love Game
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

hahaha ....
would he say the same thing if he were coaching nadal? :razz:

Love Game
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM

hint: it wouldn't be kewl if it were grammatical.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/im/k.gif

Lionheart392
01-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Yeah and 'I couldn't give a ****' has become 'I could give a ****', which also doesn't make sense...

I've just never understood any logic in patriotism or nationalism in a sport like tennis (except Davis Cup, Olympics... given). It's just individual people playing other individual people. I'd rather watch the best ones than pretend to care about American players just because they're American.

I totally agree. I'm British and don't understand why we're expected to root for Andy Murray. Just because someone is from the same country as me doesn't mean I automatically like them, there are plenty of Brits I don't like. That's life.

Rhino
01-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Dude I was there and I thought exactly the same thing. I have seen Fed and Nad, etc practice all over the place but that sure was a first class mobbing.

CanadianChic
01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I guarantee that when I go to Wimbledon the last person I will swarm is Murray. I do believe I will make a fast track to the Spanish Armada and introduce myself. ;)

As for the thread I'm not surprised. Hewitt is an ***.

Noveson
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM

That's a stretch.

I can tell

I'm sure.

What are some other American phrases he has used?