PDA

View Full Version : The inability to hit cleanly early...

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Hello, there's a couple things I noticed... Certain pros like to catch the ball early, especially off of moonballs, but yet it's not a clean hit and puts him/her in a worst court position.

Why not take a step back, see where your opponent is, see how the ball bounces, then step into the ball and crack one? Sure it's less likely to surprise anyone, but it's a cleaner shot...

That, or the cameras are throwing me off...

daddy
01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello, there's a couple things I noticed... Certain pros like to catch the ball early, especially off of moonballs, but yet it's not a clean hit and puts him/her in a worst court position.

Why keep doing that?

I would say that out of the top 4 players, Rafa is the one who takes most time but given the comparison to Roger, Novak, both used to hitting early ( Novak more from backhand, Roger more from forehand ) and Murray, Id say the top guys handle these balls pretty well. Maybe from nr5 on we can talk about this.

In my mind Roddick misses quite a few oportunities to hit early as does Davydenko. He is a clean hitter but his somewhat defensive style when playing vs big servers is preventing him from using his clean hiting at the apropriate moment. Safin can hav problems with hitting clean and high balls and putting themnear court lines also, but he's a spent force to some extent. It also depends on which shot are we talking about - if we're on forehand issue, few guys can rip it to the unbelievable extent while in a rise ( Blake for example, Fernando Gonzalez, whoa ) but those two sam eguys are unable for the best part of their games tu use the very same situations to score a direct winners from BH side ..

Interesting topic, Id like to hear what others have to say about this.

coloskier
01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
The main reason is if you hit a moonball on the rise it gives your opponent less time to react to the ball, and if you wait to hit it you will be hitting the ball so deep in your own court that you immediately put yourself in a defensive position.

edberg505
01-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I would say that out of the top 4 players, Rafa is the one who takes most time but given the comparison to Roger, Novak, both used to hitting early ( Novak more from backhand, Roger more from forehand ) and Murray, Id say the top guys handle these balls pretty well. Maybe from nr5 on we can talk about this.

In my mind Roddick misses quite a few oportunities to hit early as does Davydenko. He is a clean hitter but his somewhat defensive style when playing vs big servers is preventing him from using his clean hiting at the apropriate moment. Safin can hav problems with hitting clean and high balls and putting themnear court lines also, but he's a spent force to some extent. It also depends on which shot are we talking about - if we're on forehand issue, few guys can rip it to the unbelievable extent while in a rise ( Blake for example, Fernando Gonzalez, whoa ) but those two sam eguys are unable for the best part of their games tu use the very same situations to score a direct winners from BH side ..

Davydenko defintely takes the ball early. Vary rarely do you see him 10 ft. behind the baseline in a rally.

obnoxious2
01-19-2009, 08:26 AM

You kidding? Davydenko takes the ball freaking early. I believe that Sony Ericsson Open last year where he demolished Nadal when he took the ball so early is a prime example.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
The main reason is if you hit a moonball on the rise it gives your opponent less time to react to the ball, and if you wait to hit it you will be hitting the ball so deep in your own court that you immediately put yourself in a defensive position.

I know that, but it's kind of a moo point if the ball comes back at snail's pace. Also, you'll be stuck in the middle of the court, horrible spot. Unless it's a drop shot...

Blade0324
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I agree with the OP to some extent that these high balls that players are taking early they are hitting pretty weak shots for the most part. However the time that is taken away by doing so can be good as you can keep the other person on the run. On the other hand stepping back behind the baseline and letting the ball come into the hitting zone is also a good play as you can hit a good shot from there and essentially start the point over. That said one would not be so well advised to take the ball back that far on a slow moonball as the other player could come to net behind it in hopes of an easier finish at net. Fortunately most top players can hit good enough shots from deep in the court to keep others from coming in behind this kind of ball.

jmverdugo
01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
two things:

1. Davydenko is probably the guy that take the ball early most of the time and with more success.

2. Moonballs at the pro level bounce very agressively, they usually never comes down so you have to find the contac zone after it goes higher other wise you will be hitting above your head.