PDA

View Full Version : Open stance vs Closed stance 2HBH. debate please

tennisfreak15347
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Last week, my teaching pro advised me to stop using the closed stance 2HBH, and to use the semi open/open stance on both the forehand and the 2Hbackhand. what are the advantages of the semi open/open stance vs closed stance backhand?

alcap26
01-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Last week, my teaching pro advised me to stop using the closed stance 2HBH, and to use the semi open/open stance on both the forehand and the 2Hbackhand. what are the advantages of the semi open/open stance vs closed stance backhand?

I would like to know the reasoning on this also as I have been advised to do the same. He stated the game is too fast for closed stances. I like freak would like to hear what others have to say.

Kevo
01-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Open stance forehands work really well because the hitting shoulder is at the back so it's a more natural shot. On the backhand side it's a mixed bag. I would say open stance backhands are pretty much a last resort. Given the option semi-open or closed is the way to go. Semi open works well on the backhand especially going cross court where it's almost the same as a closed stance, but helps to promote a more natural recovery with your feet.

Kevo
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I would like to know the reasoning on this also as I have been advised to do the same. He stated the game is too fast for closed stances. I like freak would like to hear what others have to say.

I hope that wasn't a backhanded way of saying your too slow. ;-)

Seriously though, I use a 1HBH, and there really is no offensive open stance 1hbh. You only get defense with an open stance 1hbh. I still see a lot of competitive players with a 1HBH, so I don't think the game is that fast.

BU-Tennis
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
The game maybe too fast at the pro level but get serious you're not playing pros so its really not that fast. Just because the commentators say tennis is awesomely fast doesn't mean everyone is hitting the ball at the same speed.

But the open stance backhand does have a more natural recovery pattern for you to get back into the court when pulled wide. Also, i think it allows you to hit with more topspin. Personally I still like to use the closed stance backhand when i'm able but its best if you can integrate the open-stance for balls that are hit hard and you don't have proper time to setup and when you're wide in the ad court (for righties) and need to be able to move quickly back to the center.

Experiment and find which you like best. Both are good options. I would like to stress once again that there are different strokes for different folks and its whatever feels good to you.

mg.dc
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Here's my view. On the whole, there's a time for all three stances. It's a bad idea to restrict yourself solely to open stance. Anyway, I wouldn't think too much on court while playing points about this technicality: with practice and playing you'll learn to naturally and instinctually set up for each shot with the proper stance.

That said, most of the time, in the modern game, a semi-open stance is your best bet. However, when you have less time to prepare, or when you don't want to be brought too far off the court, an open stance will then be your best bet.

Still, there are plenty of times when to hit the ball using a closed stance -- and in particular on the two-hander: check out, for instance, Davydenko, Safin, and Nalbandian, among others; they hit plenty of two-handers closed stance.

My suggestion therefore is to not limit yourself by only hitting open stance. If you hit open stance on the wrong ball, you'll very easily give your opponent (1) a weak, short ball and (2) the offensive strike.

In this way I think many serious recreational players have stunted their progress to the next level as well as their mastery of the game: simply, they watched Agassi hit open stance and then tried to replicate it, of which the result was a game based on weak, spinny balls with no pace. This may work at the lower levels of the game, but eventually, at the higer levels, this is like feeding bloody red meat to a shark, to be sure. The ball needs pace; it needs to be driven.

LeeD
01-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Agree with all above.
Yes, you lose 1/2 step just going with 2 hander, so semi open gives you back 1/2 of that.
In a hard hitting rally, semi open allows you to recover, as said above.
But for threading the needle, passing shot, try to close and bend.

Rickson
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Rafa regularly uses open stance backhands and you can't argue with his success.

snr
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Closed and semi-open would be my preference depending on the location of the ball and the location of where I am.

The reason why is becuase for me a 2hbh a lot of it is in the hip rotation.

When I do an open stance (which as someone said, works fine as a last resort), my hips are closed, therefore, even though I can spin the hips a bit, most of the power is coming from my arms and shoulder, and therefore not using all the bottled up potential energy.

wihamilton
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Your court positioning heavily influences what stance you chose. Typically, the further you move from the center of the court the more inclined you should be to hit w/an open stance.

Neutral / closed stance on a 2h backhand is perfectly fine.

alcap26
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Good read folks.

tennisfreak15347
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
thanks for the replies everyone.

fuzz nation
01-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I think of it this way: While the 1hbh works well with a closed stance due to the leading arm's range of motion, the 2hbh needs to work in the area where the range of motion of both arms overlaps. The one-hander has a lot of energy with a nice broad swing and extended follow through, but that swing gets restricted when the other arm is also attached to the racquet. With the second hand on the grip, contact needs to happen farther back where both arms can move the racquet well. When I took up with a true 1hbh a couple of years back, I was really amazed at first by how far out in front I had to go to hit the ball well.

A neutral or somewhat open stance can accommodate the two-hander because to a large degree it's a left-handed forehand - in the case of a righty hitter. Since the best contact with a two-hander is typically not as far out in front, a stance that's too closed can be beyond the best range for the trailing power hand to move the racquet well.

TennisProdigy
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
When i have time to prepare i always use a closed stance. On returns or when im pulled out wide i use an open stance which i still hit really well but i get the most control with an open stance.

soyizgood
01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Closed and neutral are my main backhand stances. I'll go slightly semi-open if I'm planning to hit early for a sharp cross-court shot. I rely on a lot of hip turn for power, so open stance is not for me if I can avoid it.

nalbyvsfed
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
i hit my backhand in alot of stances. im not planning them. theyre going naturaly. i think every player has his preferences when to hit closed, open, semi-open or neutral.

EPaps
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
doesn't it depend where you are? I mean you're not going to hit an open forehand or backhand on the run.

Racer41c
01-19-2009, 02:37 PM
OP: Easier to generate power from the lower body (if you watch a modern baseball game you won't see anyone hitting closed any more. If you watch an old baseball game everyone hit closed) and the ability to recover after the shot.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Open stance is better nothing can beat it.. maybe semi-closed.

jmverdugo
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I agree with the people saying that you should do all of them depending on the situation. For instance: returning services, specially the fastest ones, the simplest and most efective way is do it on an open stance.

On the other hand I cant hit for my life a dead ball in an open stance, I have to do it close stance. Same thing with approach shots. But again , I preffer to hit my flat shos on open stance. I do not even think about it, I just do it depending of the time I have to prepare my self.

Edit: not that I am an expert but I found that on clay it is easier to slide on open stance than in close stance.

soyizgood
01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I can drive the ball better in closed or neutral stance. If I want to hit a lob or moonball I seem to have an easier time doing so in open or semi-open stance.