PDA

View Full Version : "Spoiler" Federer vs Minar

verdasco67
02-23-2005, 03:44 AM
Fed doesnt seem like he's playing his best tennis..

he's currently loosing 6-7 1-2 to minar

zubzy
02-23-2005, 03:51 AM
the past few weeks looked like Federer misplaced his 'magic wand'; but he's like everyone else - can't be no 1 forever. still, it's a bit of a disappointment seeing him losing in the first set like that.

i envy all of you who get access to the tennis matches, i just see results on the atp tennis site :(

edit: federer losing 1-3 final set???

verdasco67
02-23-2005, 04:29 AM
updated result...6-7 6-3 4-3 to fed

verdasco67
02-23-2005, 04:47 AM
6-6 3rd set!! intense!

zubzy
02-23-2005, 04:49 AM
when you see federer in a match with TWO tie breakers you know something's not right

verdasco67
02-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Result....

(1)Roger Federer (SUI) d Ivo Minar (CZE) 6-7 6-3 7-6 =S

RoddickRulez
02-23-2005, 05:00 AM
shoot
i was hopping for an upset

Rickson
02-23-2005, 05:09 AM
Federer is intentionally keeping the matches close so he could practice his clutch moves.

lemurballs
02-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Federer is intentionally keeping the matches close so he could practice his clutch moves.

yup. agreed.

sliceroni
02-23-2005, 05:57 AM
Funny how if a match if a Fed match is close, then people call it a slump or say he's not playing well. I admit to that too but hey it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning. As long as he keeps on winning then the close matches will make it entertaining for those who have been complaining for the past yr and half that all his matches are one-sided!

Marius_Hancu
02-23-2005, 05:57 AM

I really doubt that, but who knows ...

Anyway, Minar seems to be quite good.

He's only 20, has a pudgy face and body, but seems to have great hands. He qualified, thus he was in the full swing of things in Dubai, and only recently played the final in Sidney, losing to Hewitt, after beating Davydenko, Verdasco, Pavel, and Stepanek. Now each of those guys is an accomplished player, thus I'm not surprised of the developments today. I expected a tough match for Federer.

Rabbit
02-23-2005, 06:49 AM

And here I thought Federer drove an automatic. Anyway, I would go one step further and say that Federer will probably lose some more matches on purpose just to (pick one of the following):

a) keep himself motivated
b) to keep his earnings down so that he doesn't get into the next tax bracket
c) keep from attaining deity status on the ATP tour entry race
d) keep the other guys interested; a tour of one is not very interesting
e) have something to look forward to next year
f) all of the above

nSLICE
02-23-2005, 06:56 AM
all of you think fed is like a machine relax win is a win first of all and second last week he played 5 matches in a row every day indoors then prob on monday he flew to dubai didnt really get to practice on normal courts, played on some grass altitude court with agassi on tuesday. Its tougher than you guys think playing 2 weeks in a row matches almost every day. Its prob even tougher than a grand slam since he has to play more matches during the same amount of time and he has to play on completely diff surfaces.

davey25
02-23-2005, 06:56 AM
I think it is pretty clear to anybody who has seen Roger play this year, and followed his results, he is not playing his best tennis this year. His having such a close call against a somewhat unknown is still very surprising, but not as shocking as when it might have occured last year. I still think he needs a full-time coach, it worked for awhile, but it isnt anymore(the coaching situation).

PJVA
02-23-2005, 06:58 AM
I don't think Roger would want to loose Dubai on purpose....if that's what you are implying. He shouldn't intentionally loose in tourneys where he is the defending champ. That would loose him points which are now critical to stay #1.

At least right now with Safin out Roger can over take the lead in the ATP race as long as he at least makes it the QF. But Roger has won Dubai in 2003 and 2004. I think he'd want to become a three time champ.

I am wondering why he struggled against Minar. In fact his Rotterdam final against Ljubicic was too close for comfort as well. Could it be that Roger is getting worn out from stretching himself too thin with appearances and exhibitions etc.

The Dubai website has a live video stream to show matches online. However, Roger's match must have been played around 2am or 3am est so I didn't watch. I never dreamed it would be a tight match.

@wright
02-23-2005, 07:17 AM
If I was Fed playing at Dubai, I would damn well make sure I didn't lose first round, the sheikh might say "off with his head" or "stick him in the dungeon for 11 years".

joe sch
02-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Feds loss to Safin in the SF of 2005 AO was soo hugh that he will not emotionally recover until he wins his next slam. The win for Safin was hugh as Maret just lost his next first round match and hopefully will not slip into another 2 year funk ?

Rickson
02-23-2005, 07:53 AM
And here I thought Federer drove an automatic. Anyway, I would go one step further and say that Federer will probably lose some more matches on purpose just to (pick one of the following):

f) all of the above
I'd bet Federer could spot you 11 games in a best of 3 match, and still beat you easily.

raftermania
02-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Think about it from Fed's POV, how do you get pumped up for a match when you hear that you're going to play a Minar???

rhubarb
02-23-2005, 08:44 AM
First round of the next tournament after a win, new opponent who's up and coming...those are the circumstances where Federer often loses. I didn't really expect him to win today, even before the match.

With the exception of some matches last week in Rotterdam and today (judging by the scoreline as I haven't actually seen it), I'd say Roger is playing pretty well this year so far. I think certainly he was in better form in January, but give the guy a break, he can't always play at his highest level - who can? He is still winning though, and that's what counts.

PS The match started about 7am EST and finished just before 9.

Free_Martha
02-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Has Federer ever played Minar before?

Perhaps the match was close simply because Federer doesn't know Minar's game. It's easier to play a top player you know than a nobody whose game is a mystery.

Or maybe he's just feeling a tad insecure these days.

VictorS.
02-23-2005, 10:19 AM
I saw Minar play just a little in Sydney earlier in the yr. Can't remember a whole lot....however, this is extremely surprising I think (federer's struggles early on). I'm beginning to think perhaps the safin loss has shaken his confidence a bit. He's played two tight matches recently against guys who he would routinely beat straight sets.

rhubarb
02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
It's really not unusual for Federer to have a hard time against Ljubicic, especially indoors. He's lost to him at least twice. The beating he gave him in Doha before the AO was rare, and that week he was on top form.

He's never played Minar before, as far as I am aware (i.e. I didn't look it up). But look at two of his losses last year: Nadal and Berdych; both young, both the first encounter, both early rounds. It's really not out of the ordinary.

ohplease
02-23-2005, 11:07 AM

f) all of the above

Also, the USTA won't bump up his NTRP rating.

GRANITECHIEF
02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
I watched Ivo Minar play Sydney before the Aus Open and was very, very impressed. I bet he will win many high quality matches this year and his ranking will rise rapidly. It wouldn't surprise me if he made top 25.

davey25
02-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I'd bet Federer could spot you 11 games in a best of 3 match, and still beat you easily.

Are you saying you would do any better? Somehow I doubt that.

joe sch
02-23-2005, 11:35 AM

Think you could beat Fed with a 11 game 40 point spot ?

Rickson
02-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Not even you could, Joe, not even you could. The best you could do is to hope for an unforced error, but once it gets to deuce, just forget about it.

daniel_rst
02-23-2005, 12:09 PM

That should be one of those million-dollar challenges, like when the guys have to shoot a full-court basket to win.

If I was serving, I bet I could do it. I'd look at it like 6 chances to hit an unreturnable serve. Of course, the problem is I would be way too nervous to hit a decent serve.

gugafanatic
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Federer is still playing better then anyone else on the tour. Minar is a good player, and feds did great to recover in the third.

PJVA
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Think about it from Fed's POV, how do you get pumped up for a match when you hear that you're going to play a Minar???

Well, for one thing he could challange himself to have a quick decissive win to send a message to the rest of the players. It's not that hard to pump one's self up.....as a pro he'd better be able to do that in first rounds. Afterall, if playing Minar was boring, then why extend it any longer than necessary? I can only think Minar was playing very well and Federer was perhaps worn out.

PJVA
02-23-2005, 01:42 PM
He's never played Minar before, as far as I am aware (i.e. I didn't look it up). But look at two of his losses last year: Nadal and Berdych; both young, both the first encounter, both early rounds. It's really not out of the ordinary.

And another similarity....when Roger had lost early to Nadal, he had just won the prior tourney (Indian Wells). This time he just won Rotterdam and has Dubai starting within a few days. I don't think he plays in top form when he's just come off winning a tournament. We are usually comparing Roger to other players who don't play as much or who don't make it to finals.

I don't buy into the notion that Roger's confidence is shaken from the AO loss. It's not as if he lost to schmuck, he lost to guy most people say is as talented as Roger. Furthermore it went to a dramatic 5 sets. Roger has nothing to feel bad about. I can't help but question if Roche's influence is giving Roger too many new options to think about?

PJVA
02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
First round of the next tournament after a win, new opponent who's up and coming...those are the circumstances where Federer often loses. I didn't really expect him to win today, even before the match.

With the exception of some matches last week in Rotterdam and today (judging by the scoreline as I haven't actually seen it), I'd say Roger is playing pretty well this year so far. I think certainly he was in better form in January, but give the guy a break, he can't always play at his highest level - who can? He is still winning though, and that's what counts.

PS The match started about 7am EST and finished just before 9.

Good point Rhubarb. I think the amount of matches for Roger is a factor. Has anyone else won two tourneys this year?

foetz
02-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Has anyone else won two tourneys this year?

Joachim Johansson.
Adelaide, Marseille.

Rabbit
02-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Yeah, I would agree. Of course I'm not the one who claimed here a while back that he could get a game or games off an ATP pro. Let's see, if memory serves, that was you, FedRickson that made that statement. How's the game going these days? Still think you could cop a couple of games off say the number 1000 in the world?

Also, the USTA won't bump up his NTRP rating.

I stand in the presence of greatness.....consider your friendly amendment accepted and approved.

Not even you could, Joe, not even you could. The best you could do is to hope for an unforced error, but once it gets to deuce, just forget about it.

This is priceless.....keep it up, FedRickson it just keeps getting better and better.

Are you saying you would do any better? Somehow I doubt that.

lude popper
02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/gallery/Default.asp?lastdate=2/23/2005&nextimage=01&nextday=1829&h(1829)=11&h(1852)=22

what is this?

tennisboy87
02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Gaston Gaudio has won 2 clay court tournaments as well this year.