PDA

View Full Version : Babolat TONIC+ VS Klip LEGEND 16G

lawlitssoo1n
01-18-2009, 11:07 PM
which one is better? both prices are about the same and im debating on which natural gut i should buy
spin
power
feel
durability
control

lawlitssoo1n
01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
anybody wanna help?

Valjean
01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
For durability, Klip Legend. Otherwise, take the Tonic+--unless you'd like to go bold and try out Pacific's Classic Gut instead!

If you're mostly into playability, then at your price point go BDE Performance.

lawlitssoo1n
01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
What is BDE?

Valjean
01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/BDEString.html - that "other" French natural gut company.

lawlitssoo1n
01-19-2009, 10:59 AM
anyone try the the babolat tonic+ 16G?

howy
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
anyone try the the babolat tonic+ 16G?

I played both of the Tonic+ (feel and Longivity). I was not happy, because they felt too soft compared to VS or Pacific. Perhaps I should have stringed 2 kp higher.
Pacific Classic Gut is nice for the price.
I bought some Prince Natural Gut and I was quite happy with it.

sk8ing
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM
i prefer klip legend because its not so heavily glazed like tonic and u get more spin and control and crispness feel is also amazing

larry10s
01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
why not spend $10 more and get the best natural gut vs ?

Bud
01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
i prefer klip legend because its not so heavily glazed like tonic and u get more spin and control and crispness feel is also amazing

I agree... after using Tonic and Legend... definitely prefer Klip Legend. I have an unopened package of the VS Team I haven't tried... so I'll save my opinion on that until I string it up.

Bud
01-21-2009, 08:13 AM
What is BDE?

Sounds a bit kinky, huh? :)

larry10s
01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
bud tell us what you think after trying vs. was it worth the ten bucks?

Bud
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
bud tell us what you think after trying vs. was it worth the ten bucks?

Will do :wink:

origmarm
01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
I prefer the Legend over the Tonic. That said it was 17g or 18g Legend so far.

Many people consider VS to be worth the money and I can see why. I definitely liked it but just preferred the feel of the Legend. For me it's #2. Interested to see what Bud thinks, was easier to string the VS I thought.

Valjean
01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
For most of the same play reasons you have given--and because Pacific products are currently endorsed by the ATP Tour, for whatever reason--don't you owe it to yourselves to at least try out Pacific's two comparable gut issues, Classic Gut and Tough Gut?

Azzurri
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I prefer the Legend over the Tonic. That said it was 17g or 18g Legend so far.

Many people consider VS to be worth the money and I can see why. I definitely liked it but just preferred the feel of the Legend. For me it's #2. Interested to see what Bud thinks, was easier to string the VS I thought.

I have Legend 18g in both my MG Prestige MP racquets. Once they go, I will be using VS 17g for a while. I was able to attain VS for the same price (actually cheaper) than the Legend. I like Legend alot and would continue to use it, but since I have been getting some VS for cheaper, I will go with the Babolat. It just feels a tad softer and nicer when hit. But by no means do I think Legend is a value string like Global gut or Titan.

Azzurri
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
For most of the same play reasons you have given--and because Pacific products are currently endorsed by the ATP Tour, for whatever reason--don't you owe it to yourselves to at least try out Pacific's two comparable gut issues, Classic Gut and Tough Gut?

From the chart you provided I saw the Classic gut was the softest gut. I would be willing to get one and try that. I am leaning towards softer gut at this point.

origmarm
01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I have Legend 18g in both my MG Prestige MP racquets. Once they go, I will be using VS 17g for a while. I was able to attain VS for the same price (actually cheaper) than the Legend. I like Legend alot and would continue to use it, but since I have been getting some VS for cheaper, I will go with the Babolat. It just feels a tad softer and nicer when hit. But by no means do I think Legend is a value string like Global gut or Titan.

I agree completely with you on VS, was definitely softer and had more elasticity for me on the impact. Just prefer it a bit stiffer, I almost ended up with poly crosses but then just went with Legend and strung it a bit tighter for the better feel than poly. A lot of people prefer VS and I can see why, it's more "gut like" if you see what I mean that all the other guts I have tried. I'm curious re Pacific though, haven't tried that one yet, next string order.....

I'm still experimenting though on my 3rd stick with all kinds of stuff. Tonight is Cyberpower mains and PSGD crosses, had a half set of both lying around for a while and got bored last night :). Next in line is some kind of X-1 and SPPP hybrid, could be interesting....

alfa164164
01-21-2009, 09:51 AM
To me - Babolat Tonic and Klip Legend are very similar gut products, so I would recommend going with whichever one you can get cheaper. My preference would be for one of the Pacific Natural Gut products, Tough Gut is nice and crisp. Pacific Classic is also excellent.

JavierLW
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM

You were doing good until you mentioned it was "endorsed by the ATP Tour" as a reason why they should try it.

That should be neither here or there.

Azzurri
01-23-2009, 06:00 AM
I agree completely with you on VS, was definitely softer and had more elasticity for me on the impact. Just prefer it a bit stiffer, I almost ended up with poly crosses but then just went with Legend and strung it a bit tighter for the better feel than poly. A lot of people prefer VS and I can see why, it's more "gut like" if you see what I mean that all the other guts I have tried. I'm curious re Pacific though, haven't tried that one yet, next string order.....

I'm still experimenting though on my 3rd stick with all kinds of stuff. Tonight is Cyberpower mains and PSGD crosses, had a half set of both lying around for a while and got bored last night :). Next in line is some kind of X-1 and SPPP hybrid, could be interesting....

I just got mysef a few more packs of Babolat 17....want to stock up since the prices are probably going up.:???::(

origmarm
01-23-2009, 06:04 AM
I just got mysef a few more packs of Babolat 17....want to stock up since the prices are probably going up.:???::(

Yeah I thought the same thing about the Klip after I saw the Wilson prices went up. Have to get over to the US soon :)

The Cyberpower/PSGD combo appears to seriously blow...that said I'm going to give it a fair shot and play again with it on Sat and see as it could just be me. I lost first set 6.1 and played horribly, went back to the same racquet with the Klip and felt instantly better and won the second set 6.3....perhaps a psych moment

Azzurri
01-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah I thought the same thing about the Klip after I saw the Wilson prices went up. Have to get over to the US soon :)

The Cyberpower/PSGD combo appears to seriously blow...that said I'm going to give it a fair shot and play again with it on Sat and see as it could just be me. I lost first set 6.1 and played horribly, went back to the same racquet with the Klip and felt instantly better and won the second set 6.3....perhaps a psych moment

The Legend also went up to $28. I still have aplace that sells them for $24, but have been able to get Babolat 17 for less than $25:)...since I never break strings, the gut lasts me a looooong time.

I just strung a PT 280 with full Lux M2..have not played a full poly on one of my own racquets in a while...hope I don't hurt my shoulder.:(

stules
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I have used both VS17 and Klip legend 17, and I can't say that there is a big difference. Both last me an amazingly long time, and both feel great until they finally break.
TW offers Klip legend 17 for $19.99 if you buy a racquet new. Now thats a deal...........Thanks TW (hey, they give us this wonderful bulletin board, gotta give them a plug)

Azzurri
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
I have used both VS17 and Klip legend 17, and I can't say that there is a big difference. Both last me an amazingly long time, and both feel great until they finally break.
TW offers Klip legend 17 for $19.99 if you buy a racquet new. Now thats a deal...........Thanks TW (hey, they give us this wonderful bulletin board, gotta give them a plug)

Do they still do this? I know they sometimes offer the $19 for Klip Legend, but its not always. I just tried it and the Legend is not at a discount.

Wilson KPro Staff 88 (1/4) Mid 199.00 199.00 Yes
Stringing Instructions:
KLIP Legend Natural Gut 17 String 27.99 27.99 Yes

If you change quantities, click here ->
Sub Total: 226.99