PDA

View Full Version : Who noticed the new lean and mean Roddick?

sureshs
01-19-2009, 07:34 AM
He showed up for an interview in the ESPN booth. He lost 15 lbs because Stefanki told him to. Misses his potatoes he says. He looks like a high school kid now.

oscar_2424
01-19-2009, 07:45 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/peru44/p7.jpg

vmosrafa08
01-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah I saw that interview as well. He said that he lost the weight because of Stefanki. He said that he has more energy (doesn't have to carry an extra 15 pounds anymore).

0d1n
01-19-2009, 07:48 AM
I did...in Doha, against Hanescu. He really had some wheels as a result too (got to some drop shots he wouldn't have smelled, let alone touched a couple of years ago).
Great to see the effort.

origmarm
01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
I had noticed this also and thought it was just me. Took a leaf out of Murray's book I think

Dan007
01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
I think Roddick should also do some sprints that andy murray does. He's never going to be fast or great mover on the court like Murray but I think he can sure get better if he do more work like improving his speed.

drakulie
01-19-2009, 08:27 AM
his fh sucks compared to a few years back.

rommil
01-19-2009, 08:29 AM
He showed up for an interview in the ESPN booth. He lost 15 lbs because Stefanki told him to. Misses his potatoes he says. He looks like a high school kid now.

Stefanki did the same to Gonzo. Well I have seen Roddick play live a couplt of times and I also thought he can lose a little bit of weight. Let's see what other "changes" Stefanki has in store.

tacou
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
very interesting and relevant perspective!

FraNkcn
01-19-2009, 08:31 AM

So true...Just watching Federermagic's channel on YT, this is what Roddick should still play at...or try to regain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9VTHEj5ao

ElSuegro
01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Stefanki has been a good coach for a long time. I just hope Roddick listens to hime and they have a longer and more productive relationship than some of his past coaches.

GameSampras
01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Doesnt matter. He will still be whiped off the map come Quarter or semis time

oscar_2424
01-19-2009, 08:46 AM

kind of like yours.

oneguy21
01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
kind of like yours.

His forehand looks spinnier than ever. It looked like it was clearing the net by like 7 feet.

sureshs
01-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I have a feeling that when his urge for potatoes crosses the threshold, he will fire Stefanki and go back to Gilbert who is an advocate of putting on mass.

cghipp
01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I think he actually looks older, with the baby fat off his face.

oscar_2424
01-19-2009, 08:55 AM
His forehand looks spinnier than ever. It looked like it was clearing the net by like 7 feet.

and his shots were landing at the serve line.

bolo
01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I did...in Doha, against Hanescu. He really had some wheels as a result too (got to some drop shots he wouldn't have smelled, let alone touched a couple of years ago).
Great to see the effort.

He got to one that surprised me in the first match.

Mansewerz
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
He was sitting with his left side angled to the camera and he was hunched over, so he looked starved. I wanted to give him a glass of water and like a bag of potato chips because he looked like he was ready to shrivel up.

bolo
01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
He was sitting with his left side angled to the camera and he was hunched over, so he looked starved. I wanted to give him a glass of water and like a bag of potato chips because he looked like he was ready to shrivel up.

lol,

10 char.

iamke55
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Doesnt matter. He will still be whiped off the map come Quarter or semis time

So when's the last time Sampras made the Australian Open quarters? Will we be seeing him there this year?

GameSampras
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
So when's the last time Sampras made the Australian Open quarters? Will we be seeing him there this year?

Pete won 2 Australian's and was hurt during a few of them as well and also had a few Finals appearances where he lost to Andre in 95 and then semis in 00. . Roddick has 0. Again.. Why do people bring up Pete when I mention another player. Roddick will be lucky to even make the semis

NamRanger
01-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Pete won 2 Australian's and was hurt during a few of them as well and also had a few Finals appearances where he lost to Andre in 95 and then semis in 00. . Roddick has 0. Again.. Why do people bring up Pete when I mention another player. Roddick will be lucky to even make the semis

That's why Roddick is a 3 time semi-finalist at the Australian Open.

GameSampras
01-19-2009, 11:06 AM
That's why Roddick is a 3 time semi-finalist at the Australian Open.

How many semi's has Roddick made at the slams recently?

MajinX
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
How many semi's has Roddick made at the slams recently?

07 austrailian semi's
07 wimble quaters
07 uso semi's

08 uso quaters

Soo in a years time, he made 2 semis and 2 quaters. I wouldnt say thats horrible. and thats actually his worst span of slams results in his career is it not? lets see how is 08 to 09 slam results are then u can start asking how bad hes doin. and since the 09 AO just started we can see almost right away how far he gets this time.

PurePrestige
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I think Roddick should also do some sprints that andy murray does. He's never going to be fast or great mover on the court like Murray but I think he can sure get better if he do more work like improving his speed.

Roddick is considerably faster than Murray.

MajinX
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Roddick is considerably faster than Murray.

not anymore.. murray's footwork and field coverage has improved alot, even if roddick is faster murray gets there first coz he knows where most shots go.

Eviscerator
01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Stefanki has been a good coach for a long time. I just hope Roddick listens to hime and they have a longer and more productive relationship than some of his past coaches.

He has grown along the way, so those past coaches(esp Gilbert/Connors) have added to his game. The trouble is that others have gotten better at dealing with his game, and exploiting his limitations. Roddick as another slam win potential, but things will have to align just right for it to happen. I certainly commend the work he has been putting in and hope it pays off for him. The same can be said about Murray.

orangettecoleman
01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
that's great, i (and many others) always thought losing a few lbs would help him a lot. I guess we'll find out. also i noticed he only had 10 UEs in his first match, not bad.

sureshs
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Roddick is a sure bet to win this AO

vndesu
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Roddick is a sure bet to win this AO

oh i wish it was that simple.
but its hard with all the competition.

federer, nadal, djoko,murray, and possibly more

Shaolin
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
I wish Nalbandian would get ripped like that. If he did the tour would be in for some serious trouble.

DarkSephiroth
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
He has grown along the way, so those past coaches(esp Gilbert/Connors) have added to his game. The trouble is that others have gotten better at dealing with his game, and exploiting his limitations. Roddick as another slam win potential, but things will have to align just right for it to happen. I certainly commend the work he has been putting in and hope it pays off for him. The same can be said about Murray.

I disagree with the statement "others have gotten better at dealing with his game." I think Roddick's game has become easier to deal with. His serve is no longer bombing the way it used to, and he doesn't go for the big shots anymore. He seems to play percentage tennis when that is not what he should be doing. He should be blowing opponents off the court like he used to.

sureshs
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
He is doing it for his fiance

StevenLaurence
01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
He finally has a serious Coach!
he looks better, using DuraLast on his mains which spins the ball better and not going for stupid winners, which lets the other guy beat himself. Notice first serves slower but more kick and less aces, but no double faults.
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

big ted
01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
gilbert was saying what alot of ppl here were saying, hes not hitting his serve and forehand as hard as he used to in 2003 and he thinks thats what roddick needs to do again to compete with the top. he called it "1-2 punch" tennis. as oppossed to the different styles hes been trying to improve the last 5 years:grinding, slicing, s/v, etcc..

mdjenders
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
the weight might help a bit, but it is simply all about the forehand. i was disgusted to see andy trading dozens of shot rallies with this rehnquist weakling, in some cases actually getting worked around the court. against any competent opponent, this paceless weak forehand is gonna get punished.

i have thought that maybe andy got too musclebound and lost the flexibility to really crack his forehand flat like he used to, but nothing has changed yet.

saram
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
While I have thrashed Andy in the past--I am truly looking forward to the new combination of a successful and highly intelligent coach in his corner and Andy working in accordance with the wishes of Stefanki. Stefanki has turned around a ton of players with nothing between the ears--Andy is a pretty intelligent person. So, to see this combination of coach/player/dedication really makes me wonder if Andy could turn everything around by say....Wimbledon.

bchamaki
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
"he looks better, using DuraLast on his mains which spins the ball better and not going for stupid winners, which lets the other guy"

who said he was using duralast on his mains???

Beasty54
01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I love the fact he lost 15 pounds. Little more speed, more balls he gets to. Now, if he could just hit the cover off the ball with every forehand he gets, he would tear **** up.

Toxicmilk
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
He finally has a serious Coach!
he looks better, using DuraLast on his mains which spins the ball better and not going for stupid winners, which lets the other guy beat himself. Notice first serves slower but more kick and less aces, but no double faults.
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

I have to ask, what makes you think this?
He hasn't been going for the huge forehand, just spinning it in...:???:
We WANT him to go for these "stupid" winners...=.=

vandre
01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
the weight might help a bit, but it is simply all about the forehand. i was disgusted to see andy trading dozens of shot rallies with this rehnquist weakling, in some cases actually getting worked around the court. against any competent opponent, this paceless weak forehand is gonna get punished.

i have thought that maybe andy got too musclebound and lost the flexibility to really crack his forehand flat like he used to, but nothing has changed yet.

+1

i saw some of the roddick/ rehnquist match and it seems like roddick wasn't doing the things he used to do well (powerful serve & fh) but the absolute horrendous parts of his game (volley, slice bh) had improved to less than effective.

the good news is the bad parts of his game seem to be improving but the bad news is that the great parts of his game are not what they used to be.

PurePrestige
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
not anymore.. murray's footwork and field coverage has improved alot, even if roddick is faster murray gets there first coz he knows where most shots go.

No doubt, I am just saying Roddick is faster. Murray is a much smarter mover, he may not be as fast but his coverage is good because he has great court sense. But Roddicks footspeed is faster, although sloppy.

andyroddick1
01-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I think that Stefanki is smart. He might have worked on Roddick's flatter fh for the big guys and improved on Roddicks spinny fh which he can use without much effort to beat lower ranked players. I think there is a reason that Roddick has come up with some really good fh's in this tourny.

All-rounder
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM
07 austrailian semi's
07 wimble quaters
07 uso semi's

08 uso quaters

Soo in a years time, he made 2 semis and 2 quaters. I wouldnt say thats horrible. and thats actually his worst span of slams results in his career is it not? lets see how is 08 to 09 slam results are then u can start asking how bad hes doin. and since the 09 AO just started we can see almost right away how far he gets this time.
roddick made it to quarter finals at US open 2007 he played federer

penang
01-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Omg! how can you come out with that. Lol

RoddickAce
01-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I think that Stefanki is smart. He might have worked on Roddick's flatter fh for the big guys and improved on Roddicks spinny fh which he can use without much effort to beat lower ranked players. I think there is a reason that Roddick has come up with some really good fh's in this tourny.

Hopefully, cuz as of now, his backhand seems even more powerful than his forehand:neutral:.