PDA

View Full Version : Managing energy levels late at night

albino smurf
01-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Any advice for getting peak energy levels at 9 p.m. I'm an early morning guy and prefer to play in the day time. I really struggled to keep up my energy last night. Started off strong but faded fast and never got a second wind until after I had left the facility and then I couldn't fall asleep. Do you get used to it or is this just a big drawback of the league with inconvenient scheduling? I want to make the most of my experience and I'm sure I'll adapt to the schedule but it does run counter to everything else in my life...:confused:

blakesq
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I deal with this by bringing some food with me to the court. Either a banana, or sliced up orange, or even an energy bar. Some of my fellow players swear by some sort of sports drink (other than just plain water). And, just nibble some food during play, you dont need much, a bite of banana on change overs for instance.

Any advice for getting peak energy levels at 9 p.m. I'm an early morning guy and prefer to play in the day time. I really struggled to keep up my energy last night. Started off strong but faded fast and never got a second wind until after I had left the facility and then I couldn't fall asleep. Do you get used to it or is this just a big drawback of the league with inconvenient scheduling? I want to make the most of my experience and I'm sure I'll adapt to the schedule but it does run counter to everything else in my life...:confused:

Jim A
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
what is your normal day like? I've been part of quite a few sports that had late night games etc (1045 at times for hockey).

i've learned to take a 20-30min nap and to eat some smaller meals throughout the day, especially on the back-half.

also before I leave the house I try to be up or at least active before leaving, if I go from couch to court its a recipe for disaster but taking the dog out for 20 min makes it easier, I'll also stretch for a couple min etc before I leave so its all out of the way..

if I'm feeling a bit down, a gel or 2 goes into the bag with some caffeine

nickarnold2000
01-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I always have something snacky in my bag(power bars from Costco) to nibble on if energy level gets low during a match but also for after a match too - I've read that recovery time is shorter.

origmarm
01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I have the same problem, would love to play during the day but just can't. I have a cup of coffee and a snack at around 5, leave work at 6, start playing at 8. Seems to help. I would try that and adjust accordingly depending on times.

It has to be said though that there is something very wrong with you morning people :)....

albino smurf
01-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Food wise I felt pretty good. It just was overall enthusiasm and energy after a while.

Jim A my normal day consists of getting up at 6:30 and working from 8 to 4-5 and then exercising/tennis for 1-3 hours. The thing is IMO that I am always eating by 7:30-8:30 and really wrapping up around 9-10 which is precisely when the matches are being played and I need to be peaking.

I thought a little caffeine might help but I think it contributed to too much energy at the start and none left at the finish. A nap and light activity prior sound like good ideas.

albino smurf
01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
It has to be said though that there is something very wrong with you morning people :)....

Too true. Morning people suck in general. I am not sure how I became one. I wish I could go back.

origmarm
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Too true. Morning people suck in general. I am not sure how I became one. I wish I could go back.

Mate I had to be at work at 6.30 for years....still never got used to it. Just wired different I think :).

Jim A
01-19-2009, 10:35 AM
The thing is this when it comes to food, energy etc.

Outside of slamming some sugar/caffeine to get you through something, or a quicker acting carb like a gel, any real food that you consume will need to be done 3+ hours in advance or it just keeps blood in your stomach for digestion that would be best served elsewhere.

If you are running into trouble in the 2nd set, then I'd say incorporate some gels and/or Clif Shot Bloks into your match. Typically you take a gel about 15min before the start of exercise then every 45min along with 4oz of water.

In tennis I tend to carry the bloks and just have 1-2 at each changeover along with a sip of water and feel good when I'm playing (often from 8-10 and/or 10-12 @ night)

keep a journal for a month or so, see what works, what you had during the day, habits etc..it goes a long way when trying to see the big picture

albino smurf
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I'll check it out. I am eating well in advance of playing 2.5-3 hrs. I give the gel a shot as well as a nap.

jrod
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, I'm diabetic and have to manage my energy extremely carefully while playing. I am fanatical about this and keeping my blood sugar within a normal range usually requires pretty tight management of food and insulin, starting at least a couple of hours before I play.

Generally, I like to have some form of carb 2 hours before match time. I also always bring carbs to the match (usually accelerade, gatorade, gel or vitamin water). I play one day/week from 8-10 pm and another day from 9-10 pm. I usually bring a vitamin water containing a bit of guarana (like caffiene) which helps me maintain my focus. I'll consume 1 vitamin water over the course of 90-120 minutes (no more or you can over do things).

You may have to experiment a little to get it right but it's not that difficult to balance things.

TennisProdigy
01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I have had tournament matches that started at 11 lol... Fortunately for me I play my best tennis later in the day but I hate playing in the morning haha

rasajadad
01-20-2009, 07:19 AM
In addition to proper eating, I grab a cup of coffee about an hour before my 8-10PM sessions.

LeeD
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, you're running on empty tank...
Nap. Eat a light meal 3 hour before your match.
Forget your normal schedule...it doesn't suit your tennis schedule.
Your problem is something we amateurs all have to face. Even the pros have to figure out how to play at 10 at night, then again at 9 in the morning.
Management of this problem determines our success or failure in tennis.
Do you wannabee a workerbee or a tennis player?

albino smurf
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
You're right. I'm quitting that stupid job ASAP.

LuckyR
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Keep your blood sugar level high by planning your intake around the match time.

Aldi Patron
01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
From what I've read, a lot of people use ecstasy to maintain energy levels. Remember your glow sticks.

Nellie
01-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't have problems in the 9-11 pm matches - I just can't fall asleep afterwards until 3AM.