PDA

View Full Version : Umpire screw up

tbonegas
01-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Anybody see the balls up in the Keothavong v Chakvetadze match earlier,when the Russian was allowed to serve, out of turn at the start of the deciding set?

vandre
01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
^^^^^ what what what???

someone plz post a vid or something because i can't believe a chair ump at a gs would make a mistake this big!!! this goes way beyond a line call to me!

btw, what would be the recourse in the situation? would there be any?

EPaps
01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
great thread name. was it after a tiebreak or something? because that might've been the reason for the confusion.

tbonegas
01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
great thread name. was it after a tiebreak or something? because that might've been the reason for the confusion.

Yes it was.The Russian served at the start of the second set breaker and was then allowed to serve at the commencement of the deciding set.A shocking error,the strange thing was that Keothovong nor any of her entourage had the sense to query the mistake until the completion of that first game of the 3rd set.

Element54
01-20-2009, 09:49 AM
the audacity, I didn't watch the match unfortunately, but would of to support the British player!

tbonegas
01-20-2009, 09:49 AM
^^^^^ what what what???

someone plz post a vid or something because i can't believe a chair ump at a gs would make a mistake this big!!! this goes way beyond a line call to me!

btw, what would be the recourse in the situation? would there be any?

Not sure about it really.There was awell respected and former tour umpire doing the commentary on Eurosport that had never seen this happen anywhere.He was under the impression that maybe Chakvetadze would also have to serve the next game as well,

saram
01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow...I'm surprised that no one caught that. Pretty large error, if you ask me. Did it effect the outcome of the match?

tbonegas
01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow...I'm surprised that no one caught that. Pretty large error, if you ask me. Did it effect the outcome of the match?

Dont think it affected the final result,but it was a terrible error for an umpire to make at a grand slam event,and I recall an error a few years ago at Wimbledon whe Venus was on the end of a scoring error in a tie break,I think that umpire that day was not given any more matches for qiute a while