PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ My SW Forehand

lordmanji
01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
the thing that bugs me the most is when i hit my forehand into the net. i am thinking this is because my racket face is too closed. if i consciously try, without changing the grip just changing the tilt of the racket i can make it more open but i also realized i can achieve the same effect with an eastern grip. what do you guys think? should i change grips or try opening my racket a bit more?

LeeD
01-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Depends !!:confused::confused:
If you have plenty of time to prep and swing, the SW can give you more topspin with pace, a heavier hit ball, and penetrate into the opponents court better. IF you swing hard each time.
If you barely have time, eastern can be hit flatter faster with less prep.
If you always roll it into the net, maybe consider turning your racket over on the followthru similar to those pics of Courier, where he shows the opponent his hitting face of his racket. That gives more topspin, but also hits the ball higher over the net.
If you forehand is like mine, where it's totally inconsistent, hit the tape or flies out, maybe it's time to take up windsurfing.

Bungalo Bill
01-20-2009, 08:27 AM
the thing that bugs me the most is when i hit my forehand into the net. i am thinking this is because my racket face is too closed. if i consciously try, without changing the grip just changing the tilt of the racket i can make it more open but i also realized i can achieve the same effect with an eastern grip. what do you guys think? should i change grips or try opening my racket a bit more?

Before that, it is most likely in your legs, your judgement, your positioning to the ball or a combination of all of them.

LEGS
A couple areas are big culprits:

a. Rising too soon (so that you are hitting on top of the ball).

b. Not getting low enough

You need to check these two areas out first. It could be that a combination of both are happening as well. In essence, you need to stay in an atheltic stance and rise through the ball. Make sure you relax your swing and simply go for clean contact and hitting on time.

JUDGEMENT
Some players make their swing hieght reference too far out in front when the ball is higher than it will be from the bounce. If you do this (which is difficult to detect), you will begin and finish your swing a bit too high as compared to where the ball really is on impact. Make sure that you are getting your butt down and your racquet hand about a foot lower as compared to the contact point.

POSITIONING
Being out of position, letting the ball drop too much, or simply not moving can play havoc on what your brain is receiving as the contact point and where your racquet head actually makes contact. You need to take into account your laziness and whether you are truly setting up properly to execute your swing. It could be you are too far back and need to take the ball on the rise more.

LeeD
01-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah, forehand for me is the toughest shot. Coupled with poor vision, old age, slow movement, injured deltoids, thrice broken collarbones, it's better if you just pick on my backhand.

user92626
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM
lordmanji,

Funny I have the exact opposit problem with my sw fh. I hit and the ball curves like a medium lob!!!! I started my self learning of this fh with thinking to keep the racket face perpendicular to ball contact.

So, I think for you, just open the racket face more!!!