PDA

View Full Version : How to increase tennis popularity

jamesbond4
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Recently the Atp restructured their rankings and prize money. This is supposed to increases tennis's popularity and accentuate the bigger stars. What this really does is isolates the depth of the game to those who can quailify for ATP events.
The ATP doubled all the points and upped the prize money in all atp events but failed to do so in the challanger events.

My solution would be to take much of the prize money away from the WTA and putting that towards mens tennis. This makes sense because the Depth in mens tennis is far better then the depth in womens tennis. This also increases the prize money in lower levels which will bring more athletes to the sport.

All thoughts welcomed..

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
stop making dumb lame commercial trying to showcase how "tough" and "imitating" the pros look. Cause they dont have that look.

jamesbond4
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
stop making dumb lame commercial trying to showcase how "tough" and "imitating" the pros look. Cause they dont have that look.

well thanks for the positive reply....anyone else?

Okazaki Fragment
01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Work with video tech people to come up with camera angles that accurately depicts the speed and pace of the professional game.

RCizzle65
01-19-2009, 06:48 PM
So your going to be sexist and take away money from the women to put more money into the mens game, which does nothing to advertise the sport? Makes perfect sense!

ElMagoElGato
01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Pro tennis needs to increase matches on weekends. Sports news and broadcasting on Saturday and Sunday are filled with other sports while you might see a few matches like semi's and final for tennis.

I've got no concrete idea how but you've got be able to enjoy watching your favorite players other than a few top players on weekends.

slicekick95
01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
none likes womans tennis people like ments tenniss

ElMagoElGato
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
You just want to offend women's tennis? I'm out of here.

egn
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Cool because I just finished reading this book about women's tennis I mean oh I don't know if Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert ring names in your head. from 00-03 women's tennis I would say was watched more as the Williams took the circuit by storm suddenly while men's was going through a period of blandness. Women's tennis is going through a period of blandness, but I feel a revival coming soon, as I see the Williams's sisters along with a couple new generation players bringing life back to the circuit.

Btw Martina Navratilova vs. Chris Evert played some of the best matches ever. Do not go outright and diss women's tennis.

edwinjn
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Work with video tech people to come up with camera angles that accurately depicts the speed and pace of the professional game.

I agree entirely. The main camera angle needs to be looked at and standardized in each event. For the most part, it makes the game look less interesting than it is.

If the camera's too high and too far away, it looks like Pong. You don't see net clearance and ballspeed appears floaty. It just doesn't hold people's interest.

If you remember Cincinnati last year, THAT had a great main camera angle. It was perfect, low enough where you could see trajectory, pace and see player closing speed.

It's all about what people see.

In regard to purse increases, I don't see how that helps. I guess you can go on the air and brag on someone's behalf how much money they make... but you know that they're hauling in ridiculous amounts of secretive funds in sponsorships. What's the point? Make it more competitive instead.

Noveson
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
none likes womans tennis people like ments tenniss

None likes people who no have grammar.

pabletion
01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Theres just no way tennis, or other individual sport can match up against team sports, even with big rivalries rising. I mean, Federer-Nadal is the biggest thing since Agassi-Sampras, and much bigger in my opinion, but people who dont play the sport cant relate to any of these guys. Its a whole different thing with team sports, which represent, a city/country etc, people can get carried away without really enjoying the sport. If you look at it, tennis can be very boring to the casual viewer, who doesnt play it. It looks incredibly monotonous on tv, if you dont know how hard it is to play like that. It can all seem the same every time. Plus, matches can be so long sometimes.

I dont see a way out of it, lets just be contempt with us who love the sport and love to watch hours and hours of GS tennis and understand how tremendously difficult it really is to play like the guys on TV.

R_Federer
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Golf is not monotonous? (By the way I watch both sports...but just making a point)

I can never understand why tennis gets so much criticism.