PDA

View Full Version : Started to like Lady's Tennis more than Men's between Pete's downfall & Fed's rising?

R_Federer
01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
After seeing a thread which basically bashed the WTA, it reminded me that between the time of Pete's downfall and Fed's rising I actually started to like the Women's game better than the Men's.

I mean the Men's side had no excitement at that time: Haas, Hewitt, some no names were winning French Open etc *yawn*.

So during this period of time I actually waited for Slams more to see the Women's game (Capriati, William sisters, Henin) than the Men's.

Of course since Fed emerged as a great player its the opposite.

Am I the only one? I might be...

NamRanger
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Probably. 2001/2002 weren't so great years for tennis, although there was the classic Goran/Rafter match, the showdown at the USO in both years between Agassi and Sampras, and a few other good ones. Goran/Rafter was probably the best match in that short span though.

jukka1970
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
After seeing a thread which basically bashed the WTA, it reminded me that between the time of Pete's downfall and Fed's rising I actually started to like the Women's game better than the Men's.

I mean the Men's side had no excitement at that time: Haas, Hewitt, some no names were winning French Open etc *yawn*.

So during this period of time I actually waited for Slams more to see the Women's game (Capriati, William sisters, Henin) than the Men's.

For the most part, I agree except for a couple of things. First there were exceptions, like Goran's victory at Wimbledon. After so many shots at seeing him just miss winning, he finally gets it. The other thing, and this is my own personal opinion, I would extend the time further back during Sampras winning. I just found the games to be boring, mainly because the points were over so fast. As I said, just my opinion on the Sampras part. I do however completely understand and mainly felt the same way.

GameSampras
01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Hell no. I enjoyed 01-02 especially the classic matches between Pete and Andre at OPEN. Then you had Fed-Sampras Wimbeldon, Goran-Rafter and Hewitt playing prime tennis. I enjoyed the transitional period far more than Fed's automatic 3 slams a year against a scared, frightened competition. It was great watching Fed perform but he had no rivals outside pre prime Nadal on clay who was only a threat that time of the year. Its good to watch a dominant player but not when he has 0 RIVALS. That was a big turn off for many.. Notonly me. What was the point of watching? You knew fed was going to win the majority of the tournaments. There was no threat to speak of. There either wasnt enough talent or they just didnt have conifdence. It certainly isnt the same crew talented guys we see today who dont run scared at the sight of Roger causing him to lose his edge

Feņa14
01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Not personally. We had Safin, Ferrero, Roddick, Hewitt etc... all making names for themselves. Was quite good imo.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
i think you're better off focusing on the women here than anything to do
with the men,...for example...

back in 2001/2002...there was a keen interest from williams/davenport
henin/clijsters etc on world no1 and other tournys outside slams.

I must admit i enjoyed both men and women at the time.
Whatever you think about serena's character you gotta admit she
was great to watch...like a female fed i thought. she came in behind
her shots and made great volleys/approaches...attacking stuff.

Then she lost interest and you have no-slammers and chokers
dominating the rankings outside ivanovic!

i criticise women's tennis not because they are women:

a) style of play is even more homogenous than the men.
hence why i liked henin/maresmo so much
b) Bizarre rankings

PS: women's tennis has been awesome in the past. nav/evert/ graf/selesetc

obsessedtennisfandisorder
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
i think you're better off focusing on the women here than anything to do
with the men,...for example...:)

back in 2001/2002...there was a keen interest from williams/davenport
henin/clijsters etc on world no1 and other tournys outside slams.

I must admit i enjoyed both men and women at the time.
Whatever you think about serena's character you gotta admit she
was /is great to watch...like a female fed i thought. she in behind
her shots and made /makes great volleys/approaches...attacking stuff.

Then she lost interest and you have no-slammers and chokers
dominating the rankings outside ivanovic!

i criticise women's tennis not because they are women:

a) style of play is even more homogenous than the men.
hence why i like henin/maresmo/serena so much
b) Bizarre rankings

PS: women's tennis has been awesome in the past. nav/evert/ graf/selesetc

saram
01-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Um....yes :)

R_Federer
01-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Interesting to your read your responses folks! I always wondered about this.