PDA

View Full Version : Christina McHale: new american woman on the rise?

Milan
01-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Christina played a good match. it was her first ever grand slam tournament. she cramped at around 3-3 in the 3rd set. she then proceeded to win the next 2 games but couldnt close it out as the cramps kept coming and spreading but then miraculously dissapeared. she tried to play through it and her opponent also had trouble playing her but in the end she lost 9-7.

despite all of the antics, her game looked good. she could be a top 50 player within the next 2 years as Brad Gilbert predicts. what are everyones thoughts?

COPEY
01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
It's possible I suppose, but in my opinion it's just too early to tell. She could merely be a flash in the pan or this experience could be a springboard to bigger and better things. She's definitely a fighter though--no doubt about it.

crazylevity
01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Well, it was also her opponent's first main draw match in a slam.

I think it's more Jessica Moore: New Australian woman on the rise?

edmondsm
01-20-2009, 06:41 AM
I can't believe she lost. I saw the first set score and I thought she was going to run away with it. How is she cramping after 2 and 1/2 sets of tennis? Lopez and Muller played in the heat for 5 hours and she cramps after like 2? I don't know, there have been zero promising American women the last few years. I don't know why, but it makes me very synical of McHale's chances. Best of luck to her though.

crazylevity
01-20-2009, 06:44 AM
it was really hot, though. Fans who just sat there got carried off with heatstroke.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 06:50 AM
I can't believe she lost. I saw the first set score and I thought she was going to run away with it. How is she cramping after 2 and 1/2 sets of tennis? Lopez and Muller played in the heat for 5 hours and she cramps after like 2? I don't know, there have been zero promising American women the last few years. I don't know why, but it makes me very synical of McHale's chances. Best of luck to her though.

I think you forgot about Roddick's, Baghdatis', Monfils', Gasquet's, Murray's, Djoker's et al, cramping/conditioning issues early on when they joined the tour, and more obviously at the Majors.

It's also not merely physical. Nerves prompted by this totally new experience have a ton to do with it.

edmondsm
01-20-2009, 07:21 AM
I think you forgot about Roddick's, Baghdatis', Monfils', Gasquet's, Murray's, Djoker's et al, cramping/conditioning issues early on when they joined the tour, and more obviously at the Majors.

It's also not merely physical. Nerves prompted by this totally new experience have a ton to do with it.

Fair enough. I think it speaks volumes that we are now talking about a promising young American who can break the top 50. The early days of Jennifer Capriati, or even the Williams sisters for that matter, seem so long ago.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Fair enough. I think it speaks volumes that we are now talking about a promising young American who can break the top 50. The early days of Jennifer Capriati, or even the Williams sisters for that matter, seem so long ago.

Very true. There'll be a few Americans, and for that matter Aussies, that will come down the pike, eventually, albiet without the frequency of the past, both on the women's and the men's sides.

tacoben
01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Aside from McHale, there are a couple of other American girls to look out for: Gail Brodsky, Kristie Ahn (like McHale both are also from NY/NJ area), Asia Muhammad and Coco Vandeweigh.

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2008/12/orange-bowl-wrap-brodsky-vs-mchale-for.html

tacoben
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Another interesting article about McHale:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/19/sports/tennis/19mchale.html?ref=sports

In D Zone
01-20-2009, 08:18 AM
McHale and her opponent Moore showed both can play in the big arena.

McHale was close to winning unfortunately her body just gave up on her.
Moore was a trooper - fought off the distraction which I think was even tougher because its mentally affecting her game.

McHale showed some great control on her strokes managed to push Moore to the edge. I am not surprise to see her make a run for the next American top seed.

split-step
01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Having seen most of the next crop of American women play, the future is bleak.

No offense to McHale, Asia Muhammed, and Kristie Ahn (they are good players in their own right), the only girl I see with top 20 potential is Coco Vandeweigh.

rommil
01-20-2009, 08:30 AM
She has a good ground game but she needs to learn to "drink".

Kaptain Karl
01-20-2009, 09:43 AM
The best tennis McHale played, IMO, was when she "didn't have anything to lose" and just played in-between waves of cramps. During those periods, she even ... constructed points!!! I'd say she shows "promise".

- KK

saram
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
The best tennis McHale played, IMO, was when she "didn't have anything to lose" and just played in-between waves of cramps. During those periods, she even ... constructed points!!! I'd say she shows "promise".

- KK

Much agreed--she shows a TON of heart and 'never say die attitude' to me. Even though she lost--much respect for the young lady.

cknobman
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
She has a great game top 50 guaranteed. Now its time for her to loose the nerves and get into prime shape.

Julieta
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Lopez and Muller are seasoned pros. Not a valid comparison. Don't forget that she's up and coming. After a performance like that, people will get her help for cramping. It is really hot in Australia and the sun is a lot more intense. And as others have suggested, nerves can play a big role. It doesn't appear that she has travelled that much outside of the US so its possible that the long flight and the whole experience took a bit out of her as well. If you look at her playing history, she has done very well so there is definite promise there. Hopefully she'll grow a bit more and get a good trainer as well.

SoCal10s
01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
wants to be a pro ? 16 years young and female and cramping like that? 2 out of 3 sets,in the first round.. out of shape... this is women tennis... and they demand the same pay as a 5 plus hour match...

boredone3456
01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
While I think she has potential, I think its a little to early to call her the next great american hope or anything. She is only 16 and really not tour tested. I mean, if she had drawn someone in the top 10 in the first round and played to a losing score like the one against Moore...I think the idea would have a little more credense. As it stands now one match does not a phenom make, and I think we'll just have to wait and see what she does. Don't put a ton of pressure on her, remember Jennifer Capriati's early days...to much pressure and expectation is not a good thing.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 01:28 PM
wants to be a pro ? 16 years young and female and cramping like that? 2 out of 3 sets,in the first round.. out of shape... this is women tennis... and they demand the same pay as a 5 plus hour match...

IMO the kid merits a pass for her first time in a major, and the hottest one on earth.

Unless one is a rabid-Djokovic fan, many remember the current #3 tapping out of three matches of similar length in 2007. Not to mention a ton of "loss of condition" effected matches played by the current male crop when they first hit "the show".

BumperJeep
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Oddly enough, I kind of know Christina McHale and her older sister. They went to my school. They are both very friendly and very good students. I have never seen her play, except for a couple of games in the third. I can't believe I missed the match!

R_Federer
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
^ McHale is hot. Is her sister hot too?

CEvertFan
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Way too early to tell if she's the next big thing. Has a decent game from what I watched.

Kirko
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, it was also her opponent's first main draw match in a slam.

I think it's more Jessica Moore: New Australian woman on the rise?

exactly! Moore was rough & ready no cries of issue in doubt. can't believe Mchale is so emotionally fragile after all the tennis she's played. she's probably going to be a good player ; not like Moore.

sureshs
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
So have we all but written off Vania King?

AndrewD
01-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Christina played a good match. it was her first ever grand slam tournament. she cramped at around 3-3 in the 3rd set. she then proceeded to win the next 2 games but couldnt close it out as the cramps kept coming and spreading but then miraculously dissapeared. she tried to play through it and her opponent also had trouble playing her but in the end she lost 9-7.

despite all of the antics, her game looked good. she could be a top 50 player within the next 2 years as Brad Gilbert predicts. what are everyones thoughts?

Did you actually see the match? I did (in person, not via a televison screen or computer monitor) and it sure as heck didn't warrant extravagant praise.
The scenario for McHale was: First set just swinging big at everything and everything dropping in. Second set the storm passed, Moore found her rhythm and played right over the top of her. That ended once McHale started to cramp AT THE START of the third set (although you could see something was wrong during the last game of the second set). The carry-on and stop-start process completely threw Moore off her game, she lost her rhythm and fell behind. However, once she regained her composure she won easily. McHale showed a lot guts to hang in there but that's all it was - guts, not game.

Anyone who has played against an injured opponent will know how difficult it can be to finish them off - especially when they're making so much noise you expect them to default after every other point. That's exactly what happened in this match.

cknobman
01-22-2009, 06:56 AM
So have we all but written off Vania King?

until she drops like 20lbs and gets fitter I dont see her being a major player in the wta.

Rickson
01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
McHale looks too whiny right now to make a breakthrough. CM needs to not only prepare better for slams conditioningwise, she needs to fix it above her neck.

eeytennis
01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
While I think she has potential, I think its a little to early to call her the next great american hope or anything. She is only 16 and really not tour tested. I mean, if she had drawn someone in the top 10 in the first round and played to a losing score like the one against Moore...I think the idea would have a little more credense. As it stands now one match does not a phenom make, and I think we'll just have to wait and see what she does. Don't put a ton of pressure on her, remember Jennifer Capriati's early days...to much pressure and expectation is not a good thing.

I think she has potential too and I also agree with you on the fact that she played a low ranked player, not a top 10...and if she HAD played a top 10 the conversation would be different...

I definitely don't see her becoming a top 10 player...it's possible but unlikely...most top 10 players made their mark by the time they are 16 or 17 years old...but who knows...we will see.

One player I do think has a great chance at cracking the top 10 though is Kristie Ahn...her U.S. Open match against Safina was a great match for her and although she is lacking in much height, she makes up for it by how quick she is...that girl can move!

tacou
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
only time I've seen her/heard of her was this match and she showed some very nice game. how old is she?