PDA

View Full Version : TSONGA... again?

swedechris
01-20-2009, 12:52 AM
JO Tsonga looked on fire in the 1st round.. great serves and super movement and groundies and volleys. soft feel mixed with very very brutal pace and power.he could very well be a contender again this year down under..

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 01:26 AM
oh screw him. Players get on my nerves when they don't play spectacularly all year round and only become "on fire" during one particular event :roll: If he makes the final I hope he can keep up a good level for the majority of the year, if he won't let him fail now so I won't be expecting greatness in other tournaments when AO was all he got. :mrgreen:

He was injured, and had a surgery. What else did you expect?

I am just glad he is finding his form again. :)

edberg505
01-20-2009, 01:36 AM
What is most impressive about Tsonga is that he missed over half the season and still qualified for the YEC.

egn
01-20-2009, 02:36 AM
What is most impressive about Tsonga is that he missed over half the season and still qualified for the YEC.

or that could be an indicator of the lack of depth in the field.

swedechris
01-20-2009, 02:53 AM
IMO he is a very good player . and it will show this year , like it did last when he was around and could play.

Sentinel
01-20-2009, 03:03 AM
true, with rookies like those spanish and swiss chaps. j/k.

I think the guy is immensely talented. Fast legs, power and touch in hands. Someho a lot of folks here don't seem to think he is talented.

swedechris
01-20-2009, 03:08 AM
just an idea .. pure specualtion .. maybe they are scared of him .. the sub conscious silly fear factor,Muhammed Ali similiarity and black and all of that..

edberg505
01-20-2009, 03:32 AM
What I don't get is the same people that call him over rated comes back and later says that a certain person's draw is tough because Tsonga's on that person's side of the draw. So which one is it?

Gorecki
01-20-2009, 03:34 AM
What I don't get is the same people that call him over rated comes back and later says that a certain person's draw is tough because Tsonga's on that person's side of the draw. So which one is it?

we have a saying in my country for that: you cant have sun in the corn fields and rain in the letuces!

seffina
01-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I think he's a great player with a fun style and lots of passion that has had a tough time staying healthy. I hope his back stays healthy and we get a classic Murray/Tsonga rematch.

David L
01-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Not lack of depth, but parity in the field where players win so much against each other that it becomes difficult to stand out.

rosenstar
01-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Honestly, what's not to like about Tsonga? He can do everything, he seems like a nice guy, but still shows personallity on the court. He's a great player who has a good comeback story.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Firstly Tsonga has been injury prone since coming onto the pro tour.

His junior accomplishments marked him for success prior to that and he finally stayed healthy long enough to gain needed experience and make the adjustments necessary at this new level.

Also many truly good to great players had to go through a second adjustment period after making their first big splash on a truly big stage like a Major. See Sampras, Moya, Safin, etc. here. That's even if they can make that adjustment.

Then, like most athletes in most sports, if they went through a valley afterward, and they return to a venue where they had some success, it can cut two ways. To much pressure to repeat or all those good feelings of their prior success return.

Baghdatis went one way, Tsonga may go the other. Both have been done before.

But as another poster said after recovering from injury, again, it seemed like Tsonga regained his equillibrium much like Djoker did, by the end of last year anyway.

gj011
01-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Anyone else can't stand this guy? He is always acting arrogant and obnoxious.

Agree with Nadal Freak here. He can play for sure, but I don't like his attitude. Blaming the ball kids, for example

edmondsm
01-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Man, Nadal fans are always harping on players for non-tennis reasons. These guys aren't UN ambassadors, they're athletes. Say something about their tennis or STFU.

oranges
01-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Tsonga forever. Great game, great guy, great on-court presence. May he be healthy.
Fans of players with genuinely obnoxious behavior or habits protesting, how ironic. It's a coincidence he kicked one's *** at AO and the other's ever since.

gj011
01-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Just giving my opinion. If you don't like it your problem.

Other players are often bashed here for "non-tennis" reasons, so why would we have to STFU about Tsonga or Federer only.

Frankauc
01-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Is Tsonga's back still injured?

norbac
01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Agree with Nadal Freak here. He can play for sure, but I don't like his attitude. Blaming the ball kids, for example

Completely agree.

batz
01-20-2009, 07:05 AM
I love the big man's game - Tsonga V Murray would be the pick of the QFs for me. Still can't get over him blaming the ballkids at Shanghai though.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Probably because there are a lot of people here who don't feel compelled to do it even when that is the topic of the thread. But they're probably the type who don't feel the need to talk in movie theaters either.

edmondsm
01-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Just giving my opinion. If you don't like it your problem.

Other players are often bashed here for "non-tennis" reason, so why would we have to STFU about Tsonga or Federer only.

Well you didn't hear me bash anyone for off-court crap, because I could care less. Tsonga has a great tennis game, all kinds of power followed up with hands that would make Pat Rafter blush. Honestly, so what if player X made a comment in the press or said something after a match. You would think as a Djokovic fan you would be annoyed of this garbage as well, maybe taken the high road. Now are you going to start poaching every comment that Tsonga makes? Make every thread about how arrogant he is? This stuff gets really old to me, and that's why I bring it up. Just giving my opinion as well.

saram
01-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I sure hope this kid stays healthy. Wonderful personality, huge game, soft hands...simply a joy to watch.

ksbh
01-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Ed ... you have selective vision. I don't see you complaining about your fellow Federer fans 'harping' on players such as Andy Murray simply because he beat your man a few times! What goes around comes around!

Man, Nadal fans are always harping on players for non-tennis reasons. These guys aren't UN ambassadors, they're athletes. Say something about their tennis or STFU.

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I sure hope you don't bring up his peronality as an excuse for not liking him when he starts kicking your favourite players off the court. :)

ksbh
01-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Anyways to answer the question, no ... I can't stand Jo Willy!

Losing matches only to blame the ball boys & ball girls is not my idea of a great on court persona! I can't wait to see this guy play Federer and get thrashed in straight sets! Is he in Federer's half?

ksbh
01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
OK then, I dislike him because I hate his game. Good enough?! LOL!

I sure hope you don't bring up his peronality as an excuse for not liking him when he starts kicking your favourite players off the court. :)

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Anyways to answer the question, no ... I can't stand Jo Willy!

Losing matches only to blame the ball boys & ball girls is not my idea of a great on court persona! I can't wait to see this guy play Federer and get thrashed in straight sets! Is he in Federer's half?
No he's not. It's funny because he likes acting like a bully but against Fed in Madrid, he seemed almost coy: his loud, in your face attitude went completely AWOL! It was quite a transformation to witness...

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 07:30 AM
OK then, I dislike him because I hate his game. Good enough?! LOL!

No, no. You should dislike him becuase he beats your favorite player. :P

I can't wait to see this guy play Federer and get thrashed in straight sets! Is he in Federer's half?

Well, no. He'll have to thrash Murray and Nadal before he can get thrash or get thrashed by Federer. ;)

edmondsm
01-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Ed ... you have selective vision. I don't see you complaining about your fellow Federer fans 'harping' on players such as Andy Murray simply because he beat your man a few times! What goes around comes around!

You might be right because I can't think of a single poster on this board who harps on Murray's personality every chance they get. Can you? I do know that Nadal_Freak and Gj011 have probably made 3 or 4 thousand post collectively on how arrogant they think Federer is. Now it's Tsonga? Like I said, when you see the same name, post the same thing over and over again it gets old.

oranges
01-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Are there any non-Djoko non-Nadal fans who dislike the guy? Not to mention the thread actually has a different topic.

ksbh
01-20-2009, 07:35 AM
ROFL X 20!

Jo Willy for all his antics on the court, does have a little bit of intelligence. He probably knew that Federer would take him to the cleaners if he acted in his usual pompous way!

By the way, you'll see that 'transformation' every time he plays Roger!

No he's not. It's funny because he likes acting like a bully but against Fed in Madrid, he seemed almost coy: his loud, in your face attitude went completely AWOL! It was quite a transformation to witness...

ksbh
01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
You haven't seen one post from Federer fans about Murray's 1-dimensional game or his boring personality? Give me a break, Ed! I'm not gonna go searching but should Murray beat Federer at the AO, you'll have all the evidence you need!

You might be right because I can't think of a single poster on this board who harps on Murray's personality every chance they get. Can you? I do know that Nadal_Freak and Gj011 have probably made 3 or 4 thousand post collectively on how arrogant they think Federer is. Now it's Tsonga? Like I said, when you see the same name, post the same thing over and over again it gets old.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I've seen a lot of criticism of Murray's personality actually (and playing style). Maybe we haven't been reading the same threads...

edberg505
01-20-2009, 07:38 AM
ROFL X 20!

Jo Willy for all his antics on the court, does have a little bit of intelligence. He probably knew that Federer would take him to the cleaners if he acted in his usual pompous way!

By the way, you'll see that 'transformation' every time he plays Roger!

I honestly don't see anything he does different than Nadal on court. Well, I take that back, Tsonga doesn't shout allez/vamos when an opponent hits a shot into the net. Other than that no difference to me.

ksbh
01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
It doesn't really matter. The bottom line is I can't stand the guy.

By the way, I'm disappointed to hear he ain't in Federer's half. That means he won't get far enough to play Federer this year!

No, no. You should dislike him becuase he beats your favorite player. :P

Well, no. He'll have to thrash Murray and Nadal before he can get thrash or get thrashed by Federer. ;)

edberg505
01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
You haven't seen one post from Federer fans about Murray's 1-dimensional game or his boring personality? Give me a break, Ed! I'm not gonna go searching but should Murray beat Federer at the AO, you'll have all the evidence you need!

1-dimensional? Who on earth posted that? Could you provide a link? And well his personality is boring, but I don't watch tennis to see personality.

oranges
01-20-2009, 07:40 AM
OMG, he needs to take the ***-picker to cleaners once again to justify this pathetic obsession.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
...and so goes another thread.

oneleggedcardinal
01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
I honestly don't see anything he does different than Nadal on court. Well, I take that back, Tsonga doesn't shout allez/vamos when an opponent hits a shot into the net. Other than that no difference to me.

He doesn't do the flying fist pump or donkey-face, either.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Is it me or has Tsonga put on weight since last year? He seemed heavier to me...

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 07:51 AM
He doesn't do the flying fist pump or donkey-face, either.

Nor does he look like he is ****ed off and hates the world the whole time either. :mad:

;)

seffina
01-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Maybe, but he was still moving very well in his first game.

I missed the ball boys/girls incident. Doesn't matter, though. I still enjoy watching him on the court.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, the difference is that Nadal is 14 months younger than Tsonga, has won 5 slams, 31 titles, 12 master series, 1 olympic gold yet doesn't brag all the time and doesn't yell at ball kids. Other than that very little difference I agree.

edberg505
01-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, the difference is that Nadal is 14 months younger than Tsonga, has won 5 slams, 31 titles, 12 master series, 1 olympic gold yet doesn't brag all the time and doesn't yell at ball kids. Other than that very little difference I agree.

Umm, what the heck does all of that have to do with they way the celebrate winning points? That's what I was talking about.

seffina
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Rafa doesn't celebrate winning points like that all the time at all. Only if it was a break point or a crucial point.

ksbh
01-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Come on' 505! It's one thing to be pompous on court when you're a multiple slam winner, as Nadal & Federer are, but it's an entirely different thing when all you have to show is a master's series title!

In any case, I don't necessarily agree that they have the same on court behavior. There's a reason why Nadal is immensely more popular in tournaments all around the world than Jo Willy!

edberg505
01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Rafa doesn't celebrate winning points like that all the time at all. Only if it was a break point or a crucial point.

Well, you could have fooled me.

Teamtomo
01-20-2009, 08:04 AM

Agreed again.

edberg505
01-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Come on' 505! It's one thing to be pompous on court when you're a multiple slam winner, as Nadal & Federer are, but it's an entirely different thing when all you have to show is a master's series title!

In any case, I don't necessarily agree that they have the same on court behavior. There's a reason why Nadal is immensely more popular in tournaments all around the world than Jo Willy!

No, I don't see a difference. Sorry. I'd be ok with me if neither of them did it at all.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Nadal also doesn't wave his arms to the crowd to get more cheering like I've seen Tsonga do. They just don't behave the same, that's all.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 08:07 AM
When is the parent/driver going to pull this car over, get out and tell the kids in the back seat to knock it off?

edberg505
01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Nadal also doesn't wave his arms to the crowd to get more cheering like I've seen Tsonga do. They just don't behave the same, that's all.

I'd rather see that than someone cheer at their opponents errors.

crazylevity
01-20-2009, 08:30 AM
...and so goes another thread.

Just another day on the Talk Tennis forums. Be sure to join us same time tomorrow, for another episode of "Fanboys ruining Forums!"

DoubleDeuce
01-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Jo looks great. I find his game very exciting to watch and entertaining. I find nothing wrong with his personality either, he tunes well with the crowd. He once complained about ball boys but he competes like a man and never complained to umpire like Murray did when his opponent needed a treatment or curse the ballboys.
If he keeps this shape up I see another Murray beat up in about a week or so.

edberg505
01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Jo looks great. I find his game very exciting to watch and entertaining. I find nothing wrong with his personality either, he tunes well with the crowd. He once complained about ball boys but he competes like a man and never complained to umpire like Murray did when his opponent needed a treatment or curse the ballboys.
If he keeps this shape up I see another Murray beat up in about a week or so.

That will be one heck of a match. I still remember Murray screwing me on my racket bracket last year. I picked him to get to at least the semis and he bows out in the 1st freakin round? All credit to Tsonga though. I'd like to see how he'll handle the new and improved Murray. Even if Tsonga goes out I still have Gilles Müller to look foward to. He's not as explosive as Tsonga but he's got some skills at the net and a very good all court game.

tacou
01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Tsonga played great... unlike most people are saying, Tsonga doesn't act very "in your face" at all. He usually only celebrates after a set (only sometimes) or winning the match.

Also, I don't really get the deal about the ball boy thing. Who cares about the ball boys? I mean it was a dumb thing to say but it's not like they were the madrid girls or anything...

I see it's mostly Nadal/Djokovic fans who dislike him though. Interesting...

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Tsonga played great... unlike most people are saying, Tsonga doesn't act very "in your face" at all. He usually only celebrates after a set (only sometimes) or winning the match.

Also, I don't really get the deal about the ball boy thing. Who cares about the ball boys? I mean it was a dumb thing to say but it's not like they were the madrid girls or anything...

I see it's mostly Nadal/Djokovic fans who dislike him though. Interesting...
I don't know what you're implying. Nadal leads their head to head 2-1 and won their last meeting. It's a different story for Novak, I'm sure he's pleased Tsonga is on the other side of the draw!

gj011
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't know what you're implying. Nadal leads their head to head 2-1 and won their last meeting. It's a different story for Novak, I'm sure he's pleased Tsonga is on the other side of the draw!

Well, Novak schooled him when it mattered, in the last year final.

And I agree with you that I am not sure what is he implying.

tacou
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm only implying how typical Nadal/Novak fans can be...

as for tsonga repeating a final appearance, we'll have to wait and see how his back holds up. however if he's fit and makes it to the Murray QF that could be THE match of the tourney.

cknobman
01-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Regardless of how good his game is he lost all respect when he pulled that towel boy fiasco.

Go back to the futures you finger pointing baby!!

oranges
01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Haha, each group has it's own excuse (opposite ones of course) why they are not just sour losers. I'm sure Nadal is thrilled he's in his half, LOL. The thread is about his chances to go deep again now and possibly in the future, so it would be nice to contribute something to that effect or take the sour grapes elsewhere.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Haha, each group has it's own excuse (opposite ones of course) why they are not just sour losers. I'm sure Nadal is thrilled he's in his half, LOL. The thread is about his chances to go deep again now and possibly in the future, so it would be nice to contribute something to that effect or take the sour grapes elsewhere.
His chances to go to the quarters are decent (Gulbis might cause him some problems, I know Tsonga beat him in their only encounter at the start of last year but I think Gulbis would have a chance to do better this time around ). After that it's Murray and I don't see him beating Murray this year (not 1st round and different Murray too!). So if he passes Gulbis, my prediction is that he will lose vs Murray in quarter.

oneleggedcardinal
01-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm only implying how typical Nadal/Novak fans can be...

as for tsonga repeating a final appearance, we'll have to wait and see how his back holds up. however if he's fit and makes it to the Murray QF that could be THE match of the tourney.

...and you're correct on all counts...especially the bold part. Except I would make your examples more specific, like so:

I'm only implying how typical Nadal (Veroniquem, TheTruth, Nadal_Freak)/Novak (gj011) fans can be...

tacou
01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
you've thoroughly enhanced my post, I thank you.

miyagi
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I think Tsonga is a Great player I would like to see him win a major but I do really dislike him......he is way to arrogant for my liking.

tacou
01-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I think people confuse confidence with arrogance.

Tsonga's game is very natural in relax, at times it looks like he's putting no effort in at all but still crushing the ball and displaying beautiful touch. The way he walks around the court just wreaks of self-belief.

However, if you watched his match last night, I saw 2-3 very understated fist pumps (to himself) and the typical Tsonga celebration after the match. His post match interview was very humble and when asked if he could repeat last year he just said we wants to play good tennis.

where is the arrogance??

miyagi
01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I think people confuse confidence with arrogance.

Tsonga's game is very natural in relax, at times it looks like he's putting no effort in at all but still crushing the ball and displaying beautiful touch. The way he walks around the court just wreaks of self-belief.

However, if you watched his match last night, I saw 2-3 very understated fist pumps (to himself) and the typical Tsonga celebration after the match. His post match interview was very humble and when asked if he could repeat last year he just said we wants to play good tennis.

where is the arrogance??

When he throws his hands in the air regularly and gets the crowd to applaud him winning a point.....whilst nodding his head in self in approval....plus the Shanghai incident....

But either way he is a good player not everyone can gel with everyone!

tacou
01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
When he throws his hands in the air regularly and gets the crowd to applaud him winning a point.....whilst nodding his head in self in approval....plus the Shanghai incident....

But either way he is a good player not everyone can gel with everyone!

I agree not everyone can gel, if you don't like Tsonga that's quite alright.

Though I'd just like to point out that he does not regularly throw his hands up for the crowd-- they usually do it on their own and I haven't seen him do this in a long time.

the shanghai incident is not arrogance either, mostly ignorance.

miyagi
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree not everyone can gel, if you don't like Tsonga that's quite alright.

Though I'd just like to point out that he does not regularly throw his hands up for the crowd-- they usually do it on their own and I haven't seen him do this in a long time.

the shanghai incident is not arrogance either, mostly ignorance.

Everyone sees things differently....if thats what you think thats cool.

Hope he has a good run...

TennisandMusic
01-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Yeah ok...and McEnroe was referred to as "super brat" only by Nadal fans. Jeff Tarango was loved by eeeeevryone....except Nadal fans. Lendl was the crown prince of tennis fandom! Oh yeah except Nadal fans. :rolleyes:

tacou
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Lendl <3 JMac<33 Tsonga <333

gj011
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
...and you're correct on all counts...especially the bold part. Except I would make your examples more specific, like so:

Originally Posted by tacou
I'm only implying how typical Nadal (Veroniquem, TheTruth, Nadal_Freak)/Novak (gj011) fans can be...

How long would be list of Federer fans?

ksbh
01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
By the time someone finished listing it, it'd be time for the master series tournaments following the AO! That's how long it is.

oneleggedcardinal
01-20-2009, 11:58 AM

By the time someone finished listing it, it'd be time for the master series tournaments following the AO! That's how long it is.

I would make one, but there are only 24 hours in a day!

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey ksbh! I am flattered to be in your signature, Thanks! :D

ksbh
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
ROFL X 20!

I would make one, but there are only 24 hours in a day!

ksbh
01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I hope you stay the way you're described in my signature, young man! :) It'll be a tall order though considering the mayhem that will result should Nadal & Federer square off at the AO! LOL!

Hey ksbh! I am flattered to be in your signature, Thanks! :D

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I hope you stay the way you're described in my signature, young man! :) It'll be a tall order though considering the mayhem that will result should Nadal & Federer square off at the AO! LOL!
well to be honest. I am only the way described in your signature to certain posters. With others, things get really out of hand :)