PDA

View Full Version : Has Nadal lost weight ?

Aggro
01-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Im just watching him warm up against Rochus and he looks so so much thinner than he did last year. He must have lost so much muscle mass in the off season. Has is training changed to more endurance training ?

Any news on this anywhere or anyone disagree ?

babbette
01-20-2009, 02:59 AM
i'm not sure. He's always been quite slim. His sleeveless tops made him look bigger than he was because he is cut.
He wore sleeveless in practice and he looked the same.:-?

Aggro
01-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Wasn't looking at his arms so much as i think he is quite naturally stocky but his legs . . they look a bit more lean. Maybe to help is knees a bit more ?

swedechris
01-20-2009, 03:57 AM
i think he is the same except that he is taller .. that is whats goin on there IMO. he is still growing . the kid is only 22.

lovecr717
01-20-2009, 04:14 AM
bring those sleeveless shirts back for Christ's sake!

Nadal_Freak
01-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Yeah possibly. I think Nadal is moving better because of it. He seems to be lighter on his feet.

Aggro
01-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Yeah possibly. I think Nadal is moving better because of it. He seems to be lighter on his feet.

Yea i agree, was playing awesome today. He has really set the bar at this tournament so far.

l_gonzalez
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Yea i agree, was playing awesome today. He has really set the bar at this tournament so far.

Come on now, he played Christophe Rochus... it was like the perfect match-up. Rochus' game has no power at all, no venom in his shots, nothing. Rafa was just teeing off whenever he wanted.

His serve has improved, i'll give you that much.

Let's wait until he gets some credible opponents to see how well he is playing.

bolo
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't think he lost weight, but he looks very relaxed and fit. The extra time off probably has something to do with this.

chiru
01-20-2009, 11:27 AM
ughghg everyone keeps going "he was only playing rochus." big deal, it's a first round. novak and roger were both playing virtual unknowns, and they weren't nearly as impressive. that's all anyone's saying. we all know rochus isn't top 10.

TheMusicLover
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
ughghg everyone keeps going "he was only playing rochus." big deal, it's a first round. novak and roger were both playing virtual unknowns, and they weren't nearly as impressive. that's all anyone's saying. we all know rochus isn't top 10.

That 'virtual unknown' that Roger played in his first match was Seppi, a decent player, ranked ATP #35 (i.e.: just fell out of the AO seedings), and has beaten Rafa in the second round of the Rotterdam tournament in 2008.

Quite a different category than C. Rochus (# 75, out-of-form since who-knows-when)...
And let's not even go to Murray's luck - Pavel (#1141 ( :shock: ), 34-year old, allowed into the main tournament because of a protected ranking after (?) injury - and obviously, not at all back at GS-level AT ALL).

That said, Rafa played really well, let there be no doubt about that.

veritech
01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
rafa played great, dominating tennis. the other top 3 seeds played well enough to pass to the next round. let's leave it at that.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Come on now, he played Christophe Rochus... it was like the perfect match-up. Rochus' game has no power at all, no venom in his shots, nothing. Rafa was just teeing off whenever he wanted.

His serve has improved, i'll give you that much.

Let's wait until he gets some credible opponents to see how well he is playing.
Rochus has beaten guys like Gilles Simon, Andreev and Karlovic last year. He's not as hopeless as you seem to think! He's also #75, not a bad ranking compared to other first round opponents. This being said, I agree this match wasn't a test for Rafa. I'm still happy his serve looked fantastic and both his backhand and forehand were sharp, he was hitting the ball very cleanly. It's always better to start well rather than struggle in the first rounds.

tacou
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought the same thing though it could just be his sleeves.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't think he lost weight, but he looks very relaxed and fit. The extra time off probably has something to do with this.
I agree, he looked much better than in Doha even, fresher and more focused.

ACE of Hearts
01-20-2009, 01:31 PM
If we get a Haas vs Nadal match, then that might be a tough test.