PDA

View Full Version : Insane tennis instruction from Tennis New Zealand

tennis1967
01-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Tennis New Zealand conducted a tour to the I.T.F. B2 tournament in Fiji last year.
The 19 players who went on this tour all received a 'tournament manual' of about 50 pages (written by the tour leader and national director of coaching - Pete McCraw.)

The manual includes such pearls of wisdom as:
"Watch matches from the end of the court, not the side, to avoid eye strain"
"Can of balls - Do not open with your hands! Get someone else to open or stand on can. Protect your fingers."
"Line calls - Call the lines tight and as you see them. You can bet your opponent will be doing the same!"
"Buddy system - Say hello to your roommate. You are responsible for their behaviour as well this week. If they make poor decisions and get sent home - you will go with them."

One of the girls was put on the plane and sent home early. Was her 'crime'
(a) vandalism?
(b) theft?
(c) drug use?
(d) watching TV in a team-mates room?

If you chose (d) then congratulations, you're correct, and might I suggest you send your resume to Tennis New Zealand.
You're obviously well qualified to be a tour leader!!

jasoncho92
01-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Seems extremely fair and genius to me. Hundreds of pints of blood all over the world have been spilled while opening balls.

Tim Tennis
01-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Well, maybe that girl was supposed to be on the court practicing, who knows.

As far as opening the balls you should always let your opponent do it.

I have heard it is better to watch from the end of the court.

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

Julieta
01-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Tennis New Zealand conducted a tour to the I.T.F. B2 tournament in Fiji last year.
The 19 players who went on this tour all received a 'tournament manual' of about 50 pages (written by the tour leader and national director of coaching - Pete McCraw.)

I didn't realize Peter McCraw was working there now. He used to live here in the States but I haven't kept up with him since he left. He's a good guy. It would be nice if they could produce some good players.

LeeD
01-20-2009, 07:48 AM
It all sounds good to me....
1. of course, watch from sideline and behind
2. razor sharp
3. gotta be fair
4. one for all, all for one
5. violation of curfew, in room wid opposite sex, violatio of team rules...

Tim Tennis
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I didn't realize Peter McCraw was working there now. He used to live here in the States but I haven't kept up with him since he left. He's a good guy. It would be nice if they could produce some good players.

Well, he was very kind to me. I sent him a sample of my product/invention years ago when he was the high performance coach at Bollettieri's. I never thought I would hear from him again. My product would give most high level pros a heart attack, heaven forbid, it changes the shape of the handle. He sent me a nice e-mail saying something like, it works. He told me he used it to help players switch over to the the SW grip.

Some day I hope to meet him and tell him thanks for his support.

Best regards

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com