PDA

View Full Version : Vaidisova, Kirilenko - too much glamour but no game?

In D Zone
01-20-2009, 07:11 AM
What happened to these two? Too much off court distraction? Both got killed in the first round - hardly put up a fight.

split-step
01-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Kirilenko getting killed in the first round is not that big a surprise. She is a c-level player.

Vaidisova on the other hand, I wish I could slap some sense into her. When you talk about potential, she has/had it in spades. She should be comfortably in the top ten, and be a slam contender (at least at the French) but she is wasting away with Stepanek. Sad.

oscar_2424
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Vaidisova needs to break up with Stepanek:twisted:

mentalcase
01-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Tennis is not Nicole's passion, maybe it was her parents but not Nicole.

Kirilenko's just an average player.

drakulie
01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Vaidisova needs to break up with Stepanek:twisted:

and go out with you. :)

crazylevity
01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I watched a bit of Kirilenko's first round match out on Court 2846 in Timbuktu. And even then, the crowd of about 15 for the previous match swelled to about a couple hundred, with people from the media and their giant telescopic lenses making their way over as well. Being right in front of her I can tell you that all the hype on this board about her looks is well justified (and then some!). But unfortunately, the game is not there. The groundstrokes and volleys are fair, and then those are the best parts of her game. Her serves are...

like mine.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Vaidisova is the final product in a long line of assembled bashers; like many of her generation, mindless baseline slugfests is the beginning, middle and end of their tennis knowledge/strategy. Anyone with even a passing flirtation with the rest of the court can send the games of players such as Vaidisova into total chaos. From Dokic, to Sharapova to Vaidisova, several years of mindless bashing has led to easily defeated hype machines with a paper thin chance of finding themselves in the history books.

split-step
01-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Vaidisova is the final product in a long line of assembled bashers; like many of her generation, mindless baseline slugfests is the beginning, middle and end of their tennis knowledge/strategy. Anyone with even a passing flirtation with the rest of the court can send the games of players such as Vaidisova into total chaos. From Dokic, to Sharapova to Vaidisova, several years of mindless bashing has led to easily defeated hype machines with a paper thin chance of finding themselves in the history books.

WRONG!!!

You clearly have cursory knowledge of Nicole's game.
Sure she has a big game (it is a must today). She has a great serve. Technique wise it is solid and it is huge. Big forehand and good backhand.
She also has a good slice and REALLY good drop shot.

Watch some of her games and watch her construct points, use angles and use the inside out forehand dropshot.
Watching her play on clay is the best to see her game really flourish.

To simply dismiss her as a Bollitieri clone is FAIL of you.

I am not claiming she is a Henin or Mauresmo, but her feel is clearly above the true ball bashers e.g Dementieva, Safina, Azarenka etc

oneguy21
01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
WRONG!!!

Sure she has a big game (it is a must today). She has a great serve. Technique wise it is solid and it is huge. Big forehand and good backhand.

Watch some of her games and watch her construct points, use angles and use the inside out forehand dropshot.

I am not claiming she is a Henin or Mauresmo, but her feel is clearly above the true ball bashers e.g Dementieva, Safina, Azarenka etc

Then why is she sucking?

oscar_2424
01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
and go out with you. :)

not a bad idea, i like blondes.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
WRONG!!!

I've watched her matches time after time, hence my statements about Vaidasova & her ever-failing skills.

She is on basher auto-pilot, apparently psychologically unstable and i'll bet anyone alive that the girl will never be one of the legends of her generation (not to even whisper any all-time lists).

split-step
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Then why is she sucking?

because she is clearly not interested in tennis anymore. For whatever reason I don't know.
Talent alone, doesn't win one matches.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
WRONG!!!

She is a Sharapova clone. Sorry. Except she's worse than Sharapova, by a fair margin.

split-step
01-20-2009, 10:03 AM
She is on basher auto-pilot, apparently psychologically unstable and i'll bet anyone alive that the girl will never be one of the legends of her generation (not to even whisper any all-time lists).

Well duh. Who here claimed that?

Fedace
01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Forget the game,, i am all for both of them doing a Playboy spread, preferably together.... When is that coming..????

split-step
01-20-2009, 10:09 AM
She is a Sharapova clone. Sorry. Except she's worse than Sharapova, by a fair margin.

Care to explain how she is a Sharapova clone?

They don't even have the same kind of game. But I am all ears.

If you can cite matches to support your evidence that will help.

vbranis
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
It's not her game that's the problem. It's her mind. She's clearly not interested in tennis at the moment, and she is the result of her parents' ambitions, not her own. She obviously is in love with Stepanek right now and thinks that's all she needs to be happy, not stupid tennis.

In D Zone
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I heard Partrick Mc or Brad G mentioned that Nicole needs to get her head examine - I think she just totally lost it!

Sharapova clone? Not even close! Maria already has her slams, Nicole has only Stephanek to show for.

Nicole should follow the lead of Mirka (Federer's beau) - and just be the honey bunny on the side managing Radek's $$$ (since he's the new front for Bosworth).

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Care to explain how she is a Sharapova clone?

They don't even have the same kind of game. But I am all ears.

If you can cite matches to support your evidence that will help.

Both dictate play from the baseline.

Both play high risk games that rely primarily on low percentage flat shots.

Both hit on the rise, and are excellent ballstrikers off both wings.

Both have extremely good first serves, relatively attackable second serves.

Both scream at the top of their lungs every time they hit the ball (Sharapova is more annoying, but Vaidisova is not far behind)

Both are not good movers

Both are relatively weak at the net, and their transition game is extremely weak

Both are glamor girls.

The lone difference is that Sharapova does everything, better.

split-step
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Both dictate play from the baseline.

Most players do that these days (men and women). Point is null.

Both play high risk games that rely primarily on low percentage flat shots.

Vaidisova hits the ball with more spin than Sharapova. She also moves better and 'scraps' better than Sharapova. She has better technique on her forehand.

Vaidisova is miles ahead of Pova at net and even more in her transition game. Her feel is tons better than Sharapova's.
Maria is, mentally, light years ahead of Nicole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5MDN7I3FP8

(some examples of her feel, as well as her power)

mimi77
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I heard Partrick Mc or Brad G mentioned that Nicole needs to get her head examine - I think she just totally lost it!

Sharapova clone? Not even close! Maria already has her slams, Nicole has only Stephanek to show for.

Nicole should follow the lead of Mirka (Federer's beau) - and just be the honey bunny on the side managing Radek's $$$ (since he's the new front for Bosworth).

Nicole has talent something that Mirka never had

R_Federer
01-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Kirilenko is hot though :|.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Well duh. Who here claimed that?

I did not say you claimed that. My point is to illustrate the magnitude of just how "nothing" she is/will be as a player when all is said and done. Unless all of the other women suddenly vanish off the face of the earth, I doubt she will match the meager number of singles slams of a Davenport.

tacou
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I dunno what you've al been watching but Kirilenko is clearly the GOAT on the women's side, possibly better than a Fed/Sampras clone (though one that has obviously undergone some sort of operation).

Mick
01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Kirilenko is hot though :|.

i think kirilenko has a nice face but i don't see the attraction for vaidisova. she (vaidisova) has a nice body but her face is very average looking.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
but i don't see the attraction for vaidisova. she (vaidisova) has a nice body but her face is very average looking.

Yeah..if Vaidisova did not have a nice, large & shapely butt, she would have no physical traits worth mentioning.

I think her face is quite dorky--but none of that matters when the woman is just another hyped failure of little to no true talent (like much of her tennis generation).

lilycolefan
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah..if Vaidisova did not have a nice, large & shapely butt, she would have no physical traits worth mentioning.

I think her face is quite dorky--but none of that matters when the woman is just another hyped failure of little to no true talent (like much of her tennis generation).

Have you seen her legs and breasts?

lilycolefan
01-20-2009, 01:21 PM

She's actually a better vollyer and easily has more variety in her game than Sharapova. Vaidisova's problem is her mental game as well as her footwork and movement. Her return also sucks and her take back is too long on her forehand. IF she were more committed, she could def. be top 10 though.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Have you seen her legs and breasts?

Innumerable times, and her legs are fairly average. Her breasts are probably below average (particularly for a woman with her overall body mass), IMO.

Her movement is horrible especially when she's on the run for a return; she just barrels down with no physical control to stop, or pivot at the proverbial drop of a dime. Compare her movement to another tall woman--Venus--and you can see how **** poor Vaidisova's really is.

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Innumerable times, and her legs are fairly average. Her breasts are probably below average (particularly for a woman with her overall body mass), IMO.
I do beg to differ
http://www.tennisserver.com/images/advanta2005/Advanta-20051104-0770.jpg

tacou
01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
nicole's a pretty girl but c'mon, name a prettier tennis player in the history of the game than Kirilenko. Maybe Kournikova? or Safin? but I think Makiri is a goddess.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Most players do that these days (men and women). Point is null.

Vaidisova hits the ball with more spin than Sharapova. She also moves better and 'scraps' better than Sharapova. She has better technique on her forehand.

Vaidisova is miles ahead of Pova at net and even more in her transition game. Her feel is tons better than Sharapova's.
Maria is, mentally, light years ahead of Nicole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5MDN7I3FP8

(some examples of her feel, as well as her power)

Your whole entire post is false, and considering you are using YouTube as concrete evidence, it's pretty laughable how you try to argue that Nicole Vaidisova is not just another Sharapova clone but not as good.

Vaidisova does not hit more spin than Sharapova. She doesn't hit as big as she does. The only players that hit bigger than Sharapova are Henin and the Williams sisters, and on the occasion, Ana Ivanovic when she's on. Thus why her balls appear "slower". It's not the spin; it's the fact that she can't put as much on the ball.

Also, her forehand is not more technically sound than Sharapova's, otherwise she'd be winning slams if you say she has as many weapons as she really does. Just because Sharapova uses a reverse finish does not mean her technique is unsound.

Her movement is on par with Sharapova, maybe marginally better if you really want to say she moves better. Marginally as in maybe .00001% better of a mover. Neither are great movers.

Vaidisova's "feel" is overrated, as well as her talent. A teenage Sharapova literally blew Serena Williams off the court at Wimbledon. THAT is talent. Taking YouTube clips and trying to shove it down my throat as "evidence" to the touch and power of Vaidisova is absolutely hilarious. Martina Hingis, Navratilova, Chris Evert, and Steffi Graf all had 100x more touch in their pinky finger than Vaidisova does in her whole body.

split-step
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Compare her movement to another tall woman--Venus--and you can see how **** poor Vaidisova's really is.

Venus is the exception when it comes to tall women and movement.
Which other tall woman on tour moves as well as her??

It is silly to compare her to Venus. Compare her to davenport or Sharapova or Ivanovic or Safina, other women her height.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Venus is the exception when it comes to tall women and movement.
Which other tall woman on tour moves as well as her??

It is silly to compare her to Venus. Compare her to davenport or Sharapova or Ivanovic or Safina, other women her height.

She does not move better than Ivanovic, and moves by a minuscule better than the likes of Safina, Sharapova, and Davenport. Not enough to call her a "good" mover.

split-step
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Your whole entire post is false,

Vaidisova does not hit more spin than Sharapova. She doesn't hit as big as she does. The only players that hit bigger than Sharapova are Henin and the Williams sisters, and on the occasion, Ana Ivanovic when she's on. Thus why her balls appear "slower". It's not the spin; it's the fact that she can't put as much on the ball.

Also, her forehand is not more technically sound than Sharapova's, otherwise she'd be winning slams if you say she has as many weapons as she really does.

Vaidisova's "feel" is overrated, as well as her talent. A teenage Sharapova literally blew Serena Williams off the court at Wimbledon. THAT is talent. Taking YouTube clips and trying to shove it down my throat as "evidence" to the touch and power of Vaidisova is absolutely hilarious. Martina Hingis, Navratilova, Chris Evert, and Steffi Graf all had 100x more touch in their pinky finger than Vaidisova does in her whole body.

Namranger, reading comprehension can be tasking for some high schoolers, so I will cut you some slack.

Since you didn't read properly the first time, I'll state it again.

"Vaidisova feel is tons better than Sharapova. She is miles ahead of Pova at net and even more in her transition game"

This statement makes sense since you said she is a Sharapova clone.
Why on earth you bring up Evert, Navrat, Graf is beyond me. Are you ok??

You claim my entire post is false, but you don't say why. Just because you said so, that makes it true??
At least I provided a video showing Vaidisova hitting drop volleys off tough passing shots and hitting dropshots from behind the baseline. Hitting shots and displaying variety that Maria can only dream of.

Then you say she doesn't hit as big as Maria. Ok. I agree with that. Who said she does??
And having watched Maria and Vaidisova live, Nicole definitely hits with more spin than Maria.
Her balls off the forehand and especially the backhand have more net clearance. Nicole likes to hit open stance of the backhand side.

It seems you think I am saying Maria is not talented. I think her results speak for themselves. Nicole is a VERY talented player. She is not blessed in the mental department like Maria.
I can only imagine what she would be like if she was.

split-step
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
She does not move better than Ivanovic, and moves by a minuscule better than the likes of Safina, Sharapova, and Davenport. Not enough to call her a "good" mover.

Who are you quoting when you say she is a good mover??

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Namranger, reading comprehension can be tasking for some high schoolers, so I will cut you some slack.

Since you didn't read properly the first time, I'll state it again.

"Vaidisova feel is tons better than Sharapova. She is miles ahead of Pova at net and even more in her transition game"

This statement makes sense since you said she is a Sharapova clone.
Why on earth you bring up Evert, Navrat, Graf is beyond me. Are you ok??

You claim my entire post is false, but you don't say why. Just because you said so, that makes it true??
At least I provided a video showing Vaidisova hitting drop volleys off tough passing shots and hitting dropshots from behind the baseline. Hitting shots and displaying variety that Maria can only dream of.

Then you say she doesn't hit as big as Maria. Ok. I agree with that. Who said she does??
And having watched Maria and Vaidisova live, Nicole definitely hits with more spin than Maria.
Her balls off the forehand and especially the backhand have more net clearance. Nicole likes to hit open stance of the backhand side.

It seems you think I am saying Maria is not talented. I think her results speak for themselves. Nicole is a VERY talented player. She is not blessed in the mental department like Maria.
I can only imagine what she would be like if she was.

You are obviously grossly overrating this girl's talent simply due to her looks. The fact that you are saying my reading comprehension is that of a high school student is enough to justify that you really have no idea what you are talking about, and that you are just in a love affair with some random girl that you will probably never meet.

Good luck to you in life. There's no point in arguing with a wall that refuses to admit that it's a wall.

jetlee2k
01-20-2009, 03:07 PM

Sharapova wants a W. She does whatever it take to get that W.. Vadisova seems go no interest anymore.. I think all her sponsor would drop her, Stepanek after wasted her then dump her then she would wake up and pick up her game again.. that's the only way I could see how she will ever come back.. very very sad way indeed..

soyizgood
01-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Davenport is 32 now and I'll take her movement, ground strokes, net skills, and mental toughness over Nicole ANYDAY. Safina is surprisingly agile for her build, especially on clay. Sharapova's slender build and long arms gets her out of a jam most times though she should add another dimension to her game. Nicole has 0 dimensions and practically 0 game now.

Kirilenko doesn't have anything that really stands out, based on what little I've seen of her game.