PDA

View Full Version : Nadal with flatter forehand?

saram
01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Didn't watch the match yet--I'll watch it later tonight. But, I wonder if anyone that did watch it notice if Rafa flattened out his forehand as some discussed prior to the match? I have seen lots of his practice vids on y-tube, but he never flattened it out in match play as in practice.

So I'm curious--did he flatten them out or were the strokes the same old Rafa?

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Not very much, no. I think he would be in for quite a challange if he actually did try that.

drakulie
01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
uhmmmmmm>>>>>> NOPE! his FH was bouncing so high I thought poor little Rochus was going to have to use a ladder.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Not very much, no. I think he would be in for quite a challange if he actually did try that.

This is what the OP is refering to:

Tennis: Nadal's New Spin
By EBEN HARRELL / PARIS
Thursday, Jan. 08, 2009

But while Nadal gripes about too many matches, Toni has been reworking his nephew's game to make it less physically demanding. In recent months, the pair have focused on increasing the velocity of Nadal's serve in the hope of earning more aces, and improving Nadal's net play in the hope of shortening rallies. More drastically, they have begun altering Nadal's trademark forehand. In Paris, I spent two hours watching Nadal practice forehands with a follow-through that came around his body in the traditional manner rather than whiplashing behind his head. Toni barked complaints if his pupil unconsciously reverted to his old follow-through. At one point, unhappy with the results, Toni pointed at a promotional picture of Federer on the JumboTron above the court, a post-forehand action shot of the Swiss player with the caption hit that back if you can! See, like that!, Toni seemed to be indicating. "Federer is a wonderful player," Toni says later, before making a gesture with his hand in imitation of a painter's strokes. "He plays with [this]," he says, hand brushing up and down. "His spirit is so easy."

Is his coach encouraging Nadal to mimic Federer? "No, Federer is too good," says Toni. "Rafael must play like himself but better, [less spin], quicker points." But how can Federer be too good when Rafael is ranked No. 1? "There is a difference between who is better and who knows more," says Toni. "Better now is Rafael, he is No. 1 in the ranking. But who has the best game? Federer."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1870373-2,00.html

drakulie
01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
^^^Hmmm. So even Uncle Toni is a "Nadal Hater". Interesting.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 10:37 AM
^^^Hmmm. So even Uncle Toni is a "Nadal Hater". Interesting.
I would reply to you what Nadal answered in his blog when somebody asked him about changing his game " do not believe everything you read or hear in the media!"
Journalists have a way of altering, taking stuff off context, picking up quotes from other articles without checking the reliability of the source, manipulating quotes in a way that changes their meaning drastically or even inventing, in a nutshell, most of what you read in the press is bull!

Element54
01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
FH was bouncing so high I thought poor little Rochus was going to have to use a ladder.

Yep, I felt sorry for the guy.

sureshs
01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Nadal is back. His injury is over, he is flattening out his balls, and he demolished Rochus.

I think my prophesy of him winning the Calendar Slam 09 is off to a great start.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Nightmare match-up for Rochus.

a) he looked handcuffed a ton by Rafa's left handedness

b) even if Nadal was motivated to flatten out his game a tad to shorten points to increase his longevity, it wouldn't be in this match.

Poor little Rochus must have felt like he was painting a ceiling for an hour and a half. His arms probably went numb.

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Nadal is back. His injury is over, he is flattening out his balls, and he demolished Rochus.

I think my prophesy of him winning the Calendar Slam 09 is off to a great start.

oh my god! he beat Rochus?! What an upset !:shock: :rolleyes:

NickC
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I figure he'll just play a normal attacking game when not on clay. On clay, I highly doubt he'll be using a flatter forehand, he'll revert to the crazy spins on the clay.

drakulie
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I would reply to you what Nadal answered in his blog when somebody asked him about changing his game " do not believe everything you read or hear in the media!"
Journalists have a way of altering, taking stuff off context, picking up quotes from other articles without checking the reliability of the source, manipulating quotes in a way that changes their meaning drastically or even inventing, in a nutshell, most of what you read in the press is bull!

You must have missed the part where uncle toni says the following.

"No, Federer is too good," says Toni. "Rafael must play like himself but better, [less spin], quicker points." But how can Federer be too good when Rafael is ranked No. 1? "There is a difference between who is better and who knows more," says Toni. "Better now is Rafael, he is No. 1 in the ranking. But who has the best game? Federer."

Like I said, >>>> Looks like uncle toni is a "Nadal hater".

Arvid
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I think that a problem he has had when he played on hardcourts has been that he ended maybe spinning to much and hitting alot of short balls, but when hes played on grass hes been more agressive thus not ending up like that, i suspect a game more agressive like that he plays on grass is what theyre trying to implement on hardcourts. Dont know exactly if he was hitting any flatter today, but he was hitting the ball very agressively hitting winners from all parts of the court. Flat or not dont know but certainly very agressive........

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM

:lol: talk about double standard. You federer haters love to take every damn source of the internet about federer and use it against him by calling him arrogant, narcissistic etc. :rolleyes:

crazylevity
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Ouch. Mucho respecto for Nadal for winning so easily in such pain.

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
You must have missed the part where uncle toni says the following.

"No, Federer is too good," says Toni. "Rafael must play like himself but better, [less spin], quicker points." But how can Federer be too good when Rafael is ranked No. 1? "There is a difference between who is better and who knows more," says Toni. "Better now is Rafael, he is No. 1 in the ranking. But who has the best game? Federer."

Like I said, >>>> Looks like uncle toni is a "Nadal hater".
And I'm telling you that it's possible that Tony actually never said anything like that. That particular journalist didn't have a one on one interview with Toni. He's quoting from wherever, this whole article is kind of trashy actually. If you can find a video of Toni saying those words, then I'll believe it... Apparently Nadal agrees with me, that's why he commented "don't believe it!"

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
:lol: talk about double standard. You federer haters love to take every damn source of the internet about federer and use it against him by calling him arrogant, narcissistic etc. :rolleyes:
Not true, I only comment about press conferences (because then you can LISTEN to the answers as the press conf are generally filmed.) I don't trust the press at all.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Not true, I only comment about press conferences (because then you can LISTEN to the answers as the press conf are generally filmed.) I don't trust the press at all.

Yet you use the same type of articles against Federer's character. GJ on the massive double standard here.

NickC
01-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Epic win. .

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Yet you use the same type of articles against Federer's character. GJ on the massive double standard here.
Never, I used press conferences and most of the stuff I commented on is stuff that I heard him say myself.

saram
01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey--you guys should go hijack another thread to bit*h among yourselves....ok? This is about Nadal and his forehand--not whining and bickering amongst people...

FiveO
01-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm all for questioning the accuracy of the press and how ironic their function v. their practices seem to be at times, but....

.....I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is if Uncle Toni said it and meant it.

Wouldn't this fall under the game improvements every fanatic supporting a particular player enjoys shouting from the mountain top is doing and their most hated rival isn't?

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey--you guys should go hijack another thread to bit*h among yourselves....ok? This is about Nadal and his forehand--not whining and bickering amongst people...
Nadal can hit his forehands flatter or with a lot of spin, he can do both and he has been using both for quite a while already.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Never, I used press conferences and most of the stuff I commented on is stuff that I heard him say myself.

Right. Because you don't bend press conferences and other "interviews" in order to support your views. Never. At all.

saram
01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Nadal can hit his forehands flatter or with a lot of spin, he can do both and he has been using both for quite a while already.

And both are very impressive strokes...

drakulie
01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
And I'm telling you that it's possible that Tony actually never said anything like that.

It's also posible that Uncle Toni doesn't even know him. It's also possible that Nadal can't hit a flat FH to save his life. :roll:

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
It's also posible that Uncle Toni doesn't even know him. It's also possible that Nadal can't hit a flat FH to save his life. :roll:

If we want to play the game of "possibility" it is possible that Nadal is using EPO (although highly unlikely) or some other form of blood doping.

saram
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
You kids are ridiculous....

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
You kids are ridiculous....

I'm sorry, but it's too hard to not pick on people who spew out double standards left and right.

Back on topic, Nadal doesn't hit his forehand any flatter.

miyagi
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Not sure he was hitting any flatter, imo he always has the ability to hit flatish it's just when he is playing badly that he hit with too much spin but he had great length today but lets not get carried away this was hardly a win over Federer in the final.

drakulie
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
If we want to play the game of "possibility" it is possible that Nadal is using EPO (although highly unlikely) or some other form of blood doping.

I believe that is highly likely, although may be impossible. :shock:
:

veroniquem
01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
And both are very impressive strokes...
Question to Nadal at timesonline.typepad.com:
- I've heard you're changing your forehand. Will you still use topspin on some shots and is this just for hardcourts?
Nadal's answer: don't believe everything you hear or read. I am trying to improve but no drastic changes.

bolo
01-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Question to Nadal at timesonline.typepad.com:
- I've heard you're changing your forehand. Will you still use topspin on some shots and is this just for hardcourts?
Nadal's answer: don't believe everything you hear or read. I am trying to improve but no drastic changes.

"My aim is always to improve without changing any bit of my style"?! :)

FiveO
01-20-2009, 11:36 AM
I think some people here enjoy mod applied thread locks more than anything approaching mature discussion.

"c'mon thread lock." <click> "yeah, baby."

bolo
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm all for questioning the accuracy of the press and how ironic their function v. their practices seem to be at times, but....

.....I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is if Uncle Toni said it and meant it.

Wouldn't this fall under the game improvements every fanatic supporting a particular player enjoys shouting from the mountain top is doing and their most hated rival isn't?

I am waiting for both the flat forehands and the 140mph serves that brad gilbert saw nadal practising a while back.

seffina
01-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Hilarious!

And here is another chapter in the Fed vs. Nadal Saga, Book 1298

ksbh
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
ROFL X 25! This is the post of the year so far!

He does seem quite short. It was a funny scene at the net after the match. Rochus looked like a kid beside Rafa.

uhmmmmmm>>>>>> NOPE! his FH was bouncing so high I thought poor little Rochus was going to have to use a ladder.

fgzhu88
01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I must say, I am really impressed with Nadal's game right now. He really did change his swing to go more across his body than that ugly hooker forehand.

I highly doubt Murray or Federer can beat him when he's playing like this!! very impressive...

canuckfan
01-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Rochus is a guy who did not qualify for any grand slams last year. This match was supposed to be a demolition. Nadal looks healthy, which is great, but this match is totally useless for the purpose of comparing Nadal to the rest of the big four.

ksbh
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Better start another thread because this one is not going to last too long!