PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to get into Hopkins Medical School?

oneguy21
01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I know you have to have outstanding academic credentials in college, but does your undergraduate education really matter? I was planning on attending Penn State, so is it possible to go to Hopkins medicine after that?

hollywood9826
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Living around Baltimore I know a few people who have went to Hopkins. And none of them had super credentials IMO.

But Im sure certain programs are very competitive, but that won't eliminate you by no means.

If you are really good at lacrosse then it will help your chances also.

But good luck regardless, State College is a great town. Its a freakin ice field rightnow though :)

Tnsguy25
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I know you have to have outstanding academic credentials in college, but does your undergraduate education really matter? I was planning on attending Penn State, so is it possible to go to Hopkins medicine after that?

You have to do well whever you go, you are probably more likely to get in if you excel at Penn State than do just okay at Harvard. If you distinguish yourself, you can write an impressive application for medical school from any solid undergrad school.

goober
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Is it possible- yes. Is it difficult - yes. Just look at their class rosters and you can see how many people they take from good but not elite public schools(not very many). There are however tons of anecdotal stories of people going to no name colleges that end up at a pretty high level medical schools.

In the overall scheme of things, it is pretty silly to choose a college based on admission to one single medical school. Hopkins is not the be all end all of medical education. Go to a college that best fits your needs and particular situation.

formerblakefan
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I used to live in Bmore and had a couple of friends go thru Hopkins med (I also had a couple of friends who applied to the med school). One of my good friends (who is in JHU med school) said that University of Maryland med school is a more competitive program (they rarely accept out of state students and grade on a much harder scale) than JHU. My friend also said JHU's med program is a little more laxed...

So, do your best in whatever undergrad you go to and make sure you do your research and find the correct medical program that fits your future career...

Good luck!

Mansewerz
01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
What about a school like U of I? Would you say you could get in from there?

brosamj
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
You can get in to Hopkins from any school...but you need to be good, smart and talented. Hopkins Med is about as good as you will get nationwide. It is a difficult program to get into but it is possible if you apply yourself, do well in school, show your diversity in interests. Good luck on the road ahead.

!Tym
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Two cousins went to Hopkins med school. Let's just say they were the BEST of the BEST basically their whole lives types. Harvard undergrad, creme de la creme through Harvard, through Hopkins med, STACKED resumes in EVERY area basically. Being that "perfect" is a full-time job let's just say...

Nadal-GOAT
01-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Why do you want to be a doctor? And why do you have to go to Johns Hopkins specifically?

goober
01-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Two cousins went to Hopkins med school. Let's just say they were the BEST of the BEST basically their whole lives types. Harvard undergrad, creme de la creme through Harvard, through Hopkins med, STACKED resumes in EVERY area basically. Being that "perfect" is a full-time job let's just say...

As long as you can pound them on the tennis court all is well-haha :)

I hope your parents were not constantly comparing you to them growing up. I hated when parents did that when I was a kid8)