PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned about my stringer?

pabletion
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I tried Luxilon BB Alu Power for the first time, with syn gut crosses; Ive always noticed some marks on some strings, which my stringer claims are normal, because of the clamps. This time, with my Luxilon strings, I noticed that they had a little bit deeper marks where the clamps go, like permanent dents. Here are a couple of pics, you cant see perfectly but its something. http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5347/cuerdasbz1.jpg (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuerdasbz1.jpg)

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9351/dsc00305ew4.jpg (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00305ew4.jpg)

Is it nothing to worry about?

GPB
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I had some strings that looked like this, and everyone on the boards assured me that they were okay, and not to worry. I sold the racket before the strings broke, but they played fine for me.

In other words, I dunno (lol)!

eagle
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Images are blurry. Can't really make out the dents.

Does your camera have a macro setting?

r,
eagle

JLyon
01-20-2009, 12:57 PM
looks like the clamps are to tight, which causes the indentions.

The_Question
01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Yes, please use macro cause I can't see the difference...

MAX PLY
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
It would appear that the clamps on your stringer's machine are a little too tight for that string. In all likelihood, it should not affect playability or durability to any significant degree but it is certainly not a best practice or the result for which a stringer should strive. Bottom line--not great but likely nothing to worry about.

Max Winther
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
When stringing stiff polys like lux, I can't really help but get SOME dents on the string without setting the clamps too loose. I've never had a problem with premature breakage because of that reason, however.

NadalFan1990
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I use a synthetic gut /big banger hybrid as well, but I have the Big Banger rough in the crosses for more spin. I have begun tightening my clamps because 1) the strings that I pull before tying-off end up being too loose after releasing the clamp, 2) I have flying clamps and I want to maintain more tension when I release the tension because I feel like the clamps are allowing the strings to move a little too much.

But when I finish my stringing, I notice that some of the texture of the big banger rough wore out, but I think that might be normal due to the need of tighter clamps...

Petekbladetour1
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
it looks like bb rough to me.

iplaybetter
01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
that is essentially ghosting, the clamps are a smidge tight but with poly at a decent tension it is often a necessary evil on some level. i would not be worried about it but you might ask your stringer about cutting down on it

stringwalla
01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Not to worry about that on poly especially.

I'd rather know that the string wasn't slipping to get accurate tension vs seeing clamp-crush marks. I've never (in 20 yrs of stringing) seen any string break due to crushing-

pabletion
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
alright thanks a lot, I just wanted to know wether I should say something or not; initially I showed it to him, and he told me it was normal. Maybe its more noticeable with the Luxi since its gray instead of clear like my prev poly.

tailofdog
01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Lookat his machine.Does he have good equipment? If you have a chance to see him string chech how he pulls the crosses. I have seen some stringers pull crosses so hard i thought they were trying to pull the racquet off the mounting posts

davidahenry
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd rather know that the string wasn't slipping to get accurate tension vs seeing clamp-crush marks. I've never (in 20 yrs of stringing) seen any string break due to crushing-

I agree. When I first started stringing, I was having trouble with my string slipping and even popping out of the clamps. The problem was that I didn't have my clamps tight enough. Therefore, now I always error on the side of having my clamps a little too tight as opposed to too loose.

I still try to find that perfect clamp tightness level though... Before I start a string job, I take one end of string, put it in a clamp, and make my adjustments. Then I do the same to the other clamp. It adds a little more time to each string job, but I would rather have my clamps dialed in just right.

Take care.

DH

J-Mac
01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
I've been stringing with with BB alu power on the mains and gamma TNT on the cross for a couple years now.

I really recommend a softer cross string. You'll still get incredible life out of the strings and softer feel.

It's not unusual to see clamp marks where the the clamp squished the string. The clamps have to grab the stings enough to hold the tension which can cause temporary marks.

As long as the clamp doesn't cut the string it won't be a problem.

The stress calculated in the string is tension/cross sectional area

The cross sectional area is the same in the dented areas, it's just not round anymore. So the strings are not seeing additional stress. The marks should disappear within a week.

On the positive side you now have additional roughness for that heavy top spin game.

-------------------------
http://www.tennistour.org
play everyday | join a league | find a partner

pabletion
01-22-2009, 05:22 PM
thanks J-mac, good feedback, about the extra roughness, I dont think so, hehe, since the marks were only made on the bottom and on top, as marked on my pics.
Anyways, I used Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 as crosses, the setup felt pretty good, would you recomend an even softer one?
So much for the Luxilon, they broke off today; they lasted about 15 days...

J-Mac
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
pabletion,
wow, you broke them in just 15 days!
you must play a ton of tennis or hit hard.

I would go as soft as you can with the cross until you start breaking the cross strings before the mains.

-------------------------
http://www.tennistour.org
play everyday | join a league | find a partner

pabletion
01-22-2009, 08:13 PM
^ well... I strung I think on the 5th, and havent played everyday since then, but maybe every other day, about 2 hrs each time. I dont hit extremely hard but do hit with a lot of top. Actually, on my usual setup, with gosen og sheep micro 17g on crosses, and gosen polylon ice 18g on mains, I always break the crosses first! And it lasts about a month. This is the first time I break the mains with a hybrid setup, I thought that Luxilon were tougher.

howy
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
looks like the clamps are to tight, which causes the indentions.

Yep, correct!!

pabletion
01-24-2009, 02:08 PM
^well I asked my stringer and a club pro if it was normal, and they said that yes. I know them both pretty well so I dont think they would try to bs me. The stringer told me that he tries to tighten the clamps as light as he can, but that those marks are completely normal, though. Any of you guys strings Luxilo BB and can do it without leaving indentations?

andtapes
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM
At my point of view the clamp is dirty and because of it he tight the clamps too much

zapvor
01-26-2009, 09:21 AM
i error on the tighter side too, because it's better than having teh string slip.