PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Lleyton?

ACE of Hearts
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
So now that Lleyton loss, anyone thinks he will retire?Sucks to see him go out like this.Injuries have taken a toll and i guess that his mental approach is gone.

Breaker
01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
No, he has said nothing of the sort and played a good match with questionable ethics at the end from Gonzo. Not bad coming back from hip surgery but he has a way to go to get his ranking back where he wants it.

I'd say 2-4 more years for him depending on how the hip holds up.

vbranis
01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
No, I don't think he'll retire. Not with his fighting spirit. Plus, he played pretty well, Gonzo is a tough opponent for anyone. Hewitt had numerous chances and if it weren't for the 5th set injury time-out, he might have outlasted Gonzo.

It's not like Hewitt played poorly and lost to a nobody outside the top 100. He played a high-quality match and I expect to see him back in the top 20 by the end of '09.

GameSampras
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Hewitt needed his wheels more unquestionably than some other players who have had some serious physical injuries andr eturned. that movement and footspeed was the most intrical part of Hewitts game since he never had many weapons to hurt u with You can scratch off Hewitt winning a slams again, but he can still win some tournaments

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I think Hewitt has maybe another year or so left in him. But it's sad seeing him lose, especially when his countrymen were chanting "Aussie Aussie Aussie" and everyone else chanting "Oi Oi Oi!"

ksbh
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't think he'll retire in the immediate future but sadly, his days as a competitive tennis player are numbered. I wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day within a year or 2.

I think Roger Federer took the wind out of Hewitt's sails. He must have realized after the 2004 USO final beatdown that there was no way he was getting past Federer in the biggest stages. If not for Federer, Lleyton may have won quite a few grand slam titles between 2004 & 2006. A great competitor & sportsman, it'll be sad to see that day he decides to hang up his tennis racket.

So now that Lleyton loss, anyone thinks he will retire?Sucks to see him go out like this.Injuries have taken a toll and i guess that his mental approach is gone.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Hip surgery has ended other top guys careers.

Hewitt came out with almost no match play under his belt and gave the 13th seed almost more than he could handle.

Tough draw very respectable outing.

That being said no one knows how Hewitt is hurting at this point. If he isn't and he has retained the same motivation he showed pre-surgery, I see him fighting and climbing back into the top 10.

In D Zone
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Hewitt is not ready to throw in the towel.

Dude just got back from hip surgery - he had only 10 weeks to prep. Only played competitively in one tournament Hopman Cup before AO.

Consider what he went thru I think Hewitt is still got game - he took Gonzo to 5 setter (Gonzo's forehand and serve were just on fire). A little too predictable as Brad and Darren have pointed out - Hewitt managed to change his strategy and he got Gonzo back on Game 4.

Also understand Hewitt came into AO as unseeded - a recipe to go against tough rated player from the get go.

I'd give Hewitt an A for great effort and physically fit (he was duking it out with Gonzo). Too bad he just did not have time to get into more matches to get into his groove.

Hewitt will be back - cracking the top 20 this year for sure.

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't see a retirement anytime soon. Its just the beginning of the year. And losing to guys like Nalbandian and Gonzalez is not a bad thing.

Michael Bluth
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Top 10? I think not.

He hasn't been in the top 10 for 3 years and won't be back there.

Best case scenario for Hewitt is to get back to top 20-30 like he was in 06-07. Unfortunately I doubt he does even that.

IMO he'll get back into the top 50 if his injury doesn't flare up again and stay there for a couple more years.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Hewitt begs to differ, and thinks that with more matches he can regain a spot in the top 10. He also brushed aside an claim that he is about to retire.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2009-01-20/200901201232436676062.html

Gugafan
01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Hewitt may have lost a step in his movement but the hunger to fight till the end is still there.

He hardly has many points to defend, hence the ranking should not be an issue.

The match against Gonzo was one of the most exciting in the tournaments thus far.

CanadianChic
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
This is a troll thread - as much as I do not care for the man, he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

canuckfan
01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
The game has passed hewitt by. Age and injury have also taken their toll. Hewitt was a great competitor in his prime and I'm glad I had a chance to see him play, but those days are gone.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Based on what? I never liked him particularly, but he hadn't played in over five months, came back and beat the current number 48 and 46 players in the world, lost to the #11 and then the #14 in five sets.

Who are you condemning here? Hewitt or the tour?

grafrules
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Hip surgery has ended other top guys careers.

Hewitt came out with almost no match play under his belt and gave the 13th seed almost more than he could handle.

Tough draw very respectable outing.

That being said no one knows how Hewitt is hurting at this point. If he isn't and he has retained the same motivation he showed pre-surgery, I see him fighting and climbing back into the top 10.

What makes you think he would be in the top 10 ever again. In 2006 and 2007 he wasnt injured and he was still out of the top 10. Even if he were to return to health again he is only older than he was those two years were he had obviously already started to slow down alot, and the field has improved further since then.

I think most would agree Gonzo is someone else who is on the way down at this point btw.

FiveO
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
What makes you think he would be in the top 10 ever again. In 2006 and 2007 he wasnt injured and he was still out of the top 10. Even if he were to return to health again he is only older than he was those two years were he had obviously already started to slow down alot, and the field has improved further since then.

I think most would agree Gonzo is someone else who is on the way down at this point btw.

He wasn't injured?

He missed 4 months in 2006 after injuring his knee and reaching the QF of the US Open and was #6 into July of that year.

He missed 2 months in 2007 with a back injury. Both years he continued to forego Madrid and Paris and finished about 400 pts out of the 10th spot.

Plus I'm not saying he will be in the top 10 I'm saying he very well could be.

Could it happen? No matter how one characterizes it, Gonzo is at 14, Nalbandian at 11 and Blake at 10 right now.

Techniques
01-20-2009, 03:41 PM
If Hewitt had a bigger pre-season he would've beaten Gonzo. Injured for 5 months and only practiced for a month and he has beaten some quality players. I think at this stage he should aim to get back into the top 30 so he can be seeded in slams, then from there he should do alright. I think top 20 is not out of the question, top 10 is touch and go.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
He had a really tough draw first round of Gonzalez...5 sets of agony. More time on court beforehand might have helped. He almost had enough...I really wanted him to get in a couple of rounds though I didn't really believe he could go into the second week. I don't think he should retire though. He should what is best for himself and his family, not necessarily what we would all vote on. Not that he'd do it anyway! LOL

BeHappy
01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Basically, what it comes down to is: has he lost a step or two? If he has, it's game over.

Tempest344
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Hopefully not...I would think he May retire when his kids start going to school as I *think* currently his family travels with him on the tour

mrDamien
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Lucky shine not on him. Train harder and see you soon.

tennis_hand
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
He should get rid of that cap first. He should listen to Murray's secret.

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM

If anything Lleyton would appear more humble if he for once did remove that cap. He should renew himself... Capless!

Tempest344
01-20-2009, 10:18 PM

That will still not dispel the AO Finalist curse that has been laid upon him

cknobman
01-21-2009, 07:13 AM
No, he has said nothing of the sort and played a good match with questionable ethics at the end from Gonzo. Not bad coming back from hip surgery but he has a way to go to get his ranking back where he wants it.

I'd say 2-4 more years for him depending on how the hip holds up.

I watched most of the match but not the very end. What did Gonzo do that was questionable?

Breaker
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I watched most of the match but not the very end. What did Gonzo do that was questionable?

5th set 3-1 Hewitt broke back, all the momentum with him as the crowd gets fully behind him and he gets pumped up. Out of nowhere Gonzo pulls an injury time out which lasted 6-7 minutes that completely iced the match. Hewitt came out without momentum and Gonzo played even better than before. The time out was definitely questionable as he showed no signs of movement problems in the 5th set.

cknobman
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
5th set 3-1 Hewitt broke back, all the momentum with him as the crowd gets fully behind him and he gets pumped up. Out of nowhere Gonzo pulls an injury time out which lasted 6-7 minutes that completely iced the match. Hewitt came out without momentum and Gonzo played even better than before. The time out was definitely questionable as he showed no signs of movement problems in the 5th set.

wow lol i actually stopped watching right at the 3-1 break.

Gonzo, what a doouche.

vandre
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
^^^whoever thought gonzo would do something classless???

:twisted:

Emelia21
01-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry to be blunt but Hewitt is a has been, he's been and done it and now he's fininshed :)

Turning Pro
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Hewitt isn't anywhere near his fitness peak yet. Once he has match practice he should excel too. His hip should have regained strength according to physio's by French/Wimbledon time. Judge him then.

MariaS
01-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Hewitt has reached his peak in tennis. He isn't talented enough to get any further.

kelz
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Hewitt mentioned in a press conference that he won't be seeing Bernard Tomic playing on the tour regularly. So I think he's got 1-2 years left.

tacou
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Hewitt has reached his peak in tennis. He isn't talented enough to get any further.

his peak as in, when he was #1? obviously he won't reach that again... but I think he could see top 20 if his hip holds up. He had very little match practice and still managed to stay competitive over 5 sets with Gonzo, who was playing quite well.

hotdimsim
01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
A top 15-20 spot if he can remain (serious) injury free. People wrote him off in 2003 saying he burnt himself out, can't keep up with the tour etc yet he came back to make 2 grand slam finals, the masters cup final and claim no. 3 in the world. That wont happen again but it would be idiotic to just say he'll now just be some fringe player in the top 50 thats just playing out his days.