PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Nadal serious about winning AO 2009

vmosrafa08
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_nadal_20_01.jpg

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_nadal_20_02.jpg

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_nadal_20_03.jpg

Rafael Nadal has posted the most convincing performance of the Australian Open 2009 menís tournament so far, crushing Christophe Rochus of Belgium 6-0 6-2 6-2 on Tuesday night.

Belgian Rochus barely had time to flash a wry smile as the world No.1 stormed through the first set of their first meeting in 19 minutes.

While superfluous, the statistics told the story, the Spaniard striking 12 winners to Rochusí one and winning a total 24 points to the Belgianís eight.

After what must have felt like an eternity to the Belgian, but what was in reality just 34 minutes, Rochus got his name on the scoreboard in the ninth game of the match, saluting the ecstatic crowd with a wave of his racquet and a huge smile.

Merciful self tucked firmly back in his racquet bag, Nadal romped to a 3-1 lead, extending his advantage by a further set as the 48-minute mark ticked over on the courtside clock.

Rochus took the lead in a set for the first time as the match entered its third stanza. But an intense-looking Nadal wasnít about to give the world No.75 an inch. He wrapped up proceedings with the loss of just one more game, romping to a second round date with world No.91 Roko Karanusic of Croatia in 77 minutes.

Quick facts

Nadal won 83 points to Rochusí 40

Nadal won 91 per cent of points on his first serve

Nadal served 10 aces to Rochus' one

Rochus managed seven winners to Nadalís 47

Link: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2009-01-20/200901201232453180765.html

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
yay! he beat a lightweight badly. Whats more important is if he can cope with the other big boy

kimbahpnam
01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Yea, commentators were saying how lopsided this match up was and how he is one of the worst coming into this tournament. They were joking how there were no strategies for him in approaching the match. I wouldn't base too much on this match

TheMusicLover
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
It's unbelievable how much the media pundits apparently read into meaningless 1st round matches against some muggy journeymen nowadays.

vmosrafa08
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I can almost say that Nadal flattened out his forehand a little bit... And Nadal won the Olympic Gold medal on hard courts...I think that he's getting better on hard courts, but who knows?

luckyboy1300
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
nadal also thrashed old man santoro and seems to be in an unstoppable form at doha, yet lost to monfils in straights. this is still hardcourts.

Tony48
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Why are all of the headlines praising Nadal for beating this pathetic loser?

Morrowreze
01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Is this something to do with his new attire?

Fiercer
01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Right, and this proves what? :???:

rubberduckies
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
He's thuper serial.

I'm a little tired of commentators belittling lower ranked players. I remember at the Olympics John McEnroe was making fun of some guy who had a Topper clothing sponsorship. Mac was like, "I've never heard of that brand before, hahahaha," even though Topper also sponsors Canas, Acasuso, et al, and is a well known brand in Brazil and Argentina. The ability difference between the 1st and 100th player is not insurmountable.

ESP#1
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
They said he hit a forehand 109 mph! we all know he had the spin but i cant recall him hitting it that hard, he looks like he can go far

R_Federer
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
That was a really easy opponent for Nadal but I have to admit Rafa seemed to be playing in his top gear. The shots he was hitting were wow lol. Though Im not sure if it is such a good idea to play in top gear in the 1st round. But we shall wait and see...

HaHaHa those people who thought that Nadal had the toughest draw! His opponent had absolute ZERO range! Totally SUCKED! HaHa "toughest" draw, ya right!

TheMusicLover
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
HaHaHa those people who thought that Nadal had the toughest draw! His opponent had absolute ZERO range! Totally SUCKED! HaHa "toughest" draw, ya right!

The reoccuring 'draw *****ing'-threads are among the silliest to be found on tennis (and any other sports for that matter)-forums, that's nothing new.
Even if a draw looks relatively easy, upsets DO happen. Draws open up. Formerly 'unnoticed' players suddenly show up with an incredible run. Chances for players might well be completely different once the 3rd round is played.

That said, Rafa IS playing very well, there's no denying that. But didn't he look rather invicible at the first couple of rounds in last year's AO as well?
In all, way too early to make any predictions of 'Player X or Y being serious about winning the tournament...'

Besides that, I happen to believe that EVERY player is pretty serious about winning the tournament, otherwise there's no need for them to even show up!

sixone90
01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Wow...look at the racket head speed Rafa's generating in the 3rd photo

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
He's thuper serial.

I'm a little tired of commentators belittling lower ranked players. I remember at the Olympics John McEnroe was making fun of some guy who had a Topper clothing sponsorship. Mac was like, "I've never heard of that brand before, hahahaha," even though Topper also sponsors Canas, Acasuso, et al, and is a well known brand in Brazil and Argentina. The ability difference between the 1st and 100th player is not insurmountable.

So you're saying Nadal wouldn't beat the 100 ranked player 9 out of 10 times?

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
The reoccuring 'draw *****ing'-threads are among the silliest to be found on tennis (and any other sports for that matter)-forums, that's nothing new.
Even if a draw looks relatively easy, upsets DO happen. Draws open up. Formerly 'unnoticed' players suddenly show up with an incredible run. Chances for players might well be completely different once the 3rd round is played.

That said, Rafa IS playing very well, there's no denying that. But didn't he look rather invicible at the first couple of rounds in last year's AO as well?
In all, way too early to make any predictions of 'Player X or Y being serious about winning the tournament...'

Besides that, I happen to believe that EVERY player is pretty serious about winning the tournament, otherwise there's no need for them to even show up!

Upsets are less prone to happen due to the fact that there are less changing variables. Two players, racquets, balls, and the surface. Weather and crowd play a slight factor, but not enough to dramatically change the match. Tennis is an individual skill sport, not like football/basketball/soccor/etc. team sports where upsets are much more likely to happen.

FeŮa14
01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
He could well be getting better on hard, but noway can you draw any real conclusions from this match.

As others have said, this was such an easy match up for him that he could of still won it comfortably playing 30%

On a different note, the outfit looks good!

TheMusicLover
01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Upsets are less prone to happen due to the fact that there are less changing variables. Two players, racquets, balls, and the surface. Weather and crowd play a slight factor, but not enough to dramatically change the match. Tennis is an individual skill sport, not like football/basketball/soccor/etc. team sports where upsets are much more likely to happen.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I think we've seen plenty upsets in tennis happening anyways, whether they are less prone to happen than in team sports or no. If not, the ranking lists would stay more or less the same 'forever' and we all know they don't (even if looked like that for the past 4-5 years or so...)

Anyway, that's not my point - which is, in short: "results from the past are no guarantee for the future..."

GameSampras
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Rafa has had a strong showing on HC's this passed year.. But still... I dont see Nadal getting by Murray. Murray is just the better HC player at this point and has no problem handling Nadal's topspin and game overrall. It very well could be a Murray-Fed part 2 or Murray-Djoker. Nadal is not on their level on HCs, five set slam matches

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Since when is Nadal not serious about winning a Slam? Unless he's injured, he gives 110% every match.

Zaragoza
01-20-2009, 04:27 PM
That was a really easy opponent for Nadal but I have to admit Rafa seemed to be playing in his top gear. The shots he was hitting were wow lol. Though Im not sure if it is such a good idea to play in top gear in the 1st round. But we shall wait and see...

There's a difference betwwen toughest 1st round and toughest draw, I guess you know that.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Neither Nadal or Murray win their side of the draw. Too many crazy players on that side to say that either of them have a sure fire chance of winning it.

Mick
01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
the problem is the other top players are also serious about winning the 2009 AO too :)

TheMusicLover
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
the problem is the other top players are also serious about winning the 2009 AO too :)

That's about the Long and Short of it all.
If players aren't serious about winning a specific tournament, they shouldn't bother to show up at all.

punch
01-20-2009, 04:52 PM
he was not playing Oli Rochus, not to much to be drawn from this win

msc886
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
That guy is easy by Nadal's standards. Crushing him doesn't show much.

Andyk028
01-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Rafael Nadal has posted the most convincing performance of the Australian Open 2009 menís tournament so far, crushing Christophe Rochus of Belgium 6-0 6-2 6-2 on Tuesday night.

Belgian Rochus barely had time to flash a wry smile as the world No.1 stormed through the first set of their first meeting in 19 minutes.

While superfluous, the statistics told the story, the Spaniard striking 12 winners to Rochusí one and winning a total 24 points to the Belgianís eight.

After what must have felt like an eternity to the Belgian, but what was in reality just 34 minutes, Rochus got his name on the scoreboard in the ninth game of the match, saluting the ecstatic crowd with a wave of his racquet and a huge smile.

Merciful self tucked firmly back in his racquet bag, Nadal romped to a 3-1 lead, extending his advantage by a further set as the 48-minute mark ticked over on the courtside clock.

Rochus took the lead in a set for the first time as the match entered its third stanza. But an intense-looking Nadal wasnít about to give the world No.75 an inch. He wrapped up proceedings with the loss of just one more game, romping to a second round date with world No.91 Roko Karanusic of Croatia in 77 minutes.

Quick facts

Link: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2009-01-20/200901201232453180765.html

Nadal is my favorite player...but give it a rest...Rochus sucks..he couldnt return the ball without shanking it..he was probably the worst player in the entire draw..When Nadal tortures Tommy Haas...then we can talk numbers and what not.

TheMusicLover
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Nadal is my favorite player...but give it a rest...Rochus sucks..he couldnt return the ball without shanking it..he was probably the worst player in the entire draw..When Nadal tortures Tommy Haas...then we can talk numbers and what not.

Always nice to see a realistic, balanced Nadal fan around. Pleased to meet you fellow, I completely agree! :)

Mansewerz
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Since when is Nadal not serious about winning a Slam? Unless he's injured, he gives 110% every match.

+1

And if you mean that nadal really has a chance this time, then we'll have to wait and see. So far it looks good for Rafa.

SourStraws
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
He's thuper serial.

Agree 100%..... From my perspective, these guys are touring professional tennis players who play at a high level.... There is still a chance for an upset.... Didnt Tsonga upset Roddick when he was in the 200 ranking.... I dont think Nadal was wrong to take the match as seriously as he did....Keep your guard up is the right mentally to have imo

S.S.

miyagi
01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
+1

And if you mean that nadal really has a chance this time, then we'll have to wait and see. So far it looks good for Rafa.

Rafa is always serious and always leaves it all on the court....

He has showed some good form so far but he has to win the matches that count and the semi against Tsonga or Murray will be key.

But I still note he is playing awesome may it continue!

janipyt05
01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Why are all of the headlines praising Nadal for beating this pathetic loser?

Its the how they are praising, because no matter what he still has to go out there and win the match.

NamRanger
01-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Agree 100%..... From my perspective, these guys are touring professional tennis players who play at a high level.... There is still a chance for an upset.... Didnt Tsonga upset Roddick when he was in the 200 ranking.... I dont think Nadal was wrong to take the match as seriously as he did....Keep your guard up is the right mentally to have imo

S.S.

No, he took a set off Roddick at the AO 2007, but we all later found out Tsonga was no fluke.

oscar_2424
01-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Quick facts

am gonna buy that t shirt.

SourStraws
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
No, he took a set off Roddick at the AO 2007, but we all later found out Tsonga was no fluke.

Ah..... Thx for the correction, man

S.S.

iamke55
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Federer put even more one-sided beatdowns on his first two opponents last year, and look what happened to him. First rounds don't say very much, especially considering how many journeymen there are who won't even attempt to beat a top 10 player. C. Rochus is not nearly as good as his brother.

lambielspins
01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Federer put even more one-sided beatdowns on his first two opponents last year, and look what happened to him. First rounds don't say very much, especially considering how many journeymen there are who won't even attempt to beat a top 10 player. C. Rochus is not nearly as good as his brother.

You are right on that. Rafa tends to tear apart that decent but weaponless kind of players anyway, much moreso than any of the other top players as those type of players just have horrible matchups vs Rafa, even when not in good form. I not suggesting he isnt in good form, but this match is too early to draw any conclusion from.

We already knew Nadal was serious about trying to win Australia before arriving here. He is currently the best mens tennis player in the world, and accept it or not 1 of the best hard court players in the world. He is one of the most driven players in the history of the sport. So of course he showed up here serious about winning. A totally expected beatdown on a rather washed up much weaker half of sibling journeyman is not needed to show that.

my_forehand
01-21-2009, 03:03 AM

Quick facts

a) Who on earth is that?
b) Roddick won by the same score I think.

tennis_hand
01-21-2009, 05:01 AM
beating down an opponent in the first few rounds as a top player is nothing. all the top 5 do that.

the OP is too desperate to chant his idol!. :roll:

cknobman
01-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Rafa beat down his first round opponent because he was ****ed off about his new attire that hes forced to wear under contract and by uncle tony.

NineMileSkid
01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Was Nadal serious about winning it in 2008?

shintan17
01-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Rafa looks like Super Saiyaman....

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Was Nadal serious about winning it in 2008?
Rafa always wants to win. I, for one, am glad he seems so well prepared this year as he will need to be sharp with all the great players he has on his side of the draw (Gonzalez, Simon, Murray or Tsonga).

All-rounder
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
post this thread after rafa makes the QF then we can praise and talk about how nadal has improved this is the first round it means nothing

TheTruth
01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
The pundits praising Nadal seems to really get under some posters skin. Seems to be the long and short of it.

TheMusicLover
01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Rafa beat down his first round opponent because he was ****ed off about his new attire that hes forced to wear under contract and by uncle tony.

Yeah, as he apparently is such a ***** that he wears anything Nike 'forces' him to. :rolleyes: ;)

JeMar
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
As opposed to all the other slams outside of the French where he just kinda phones it in?

I don't understand the point of this thread.

paulorenzo
01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Wow...look at the racket head speed Rafa's generating in the 3rd photo

although rafa has killer racquet head speed, that effect is mostly due to a photographer purposely slowing the shutter speed of the camera.

dh003i
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM

"Look what happened to him"? You mean, he got to his 15th striaght SF and lost to to-be champion Djokovic? That's not awful.

I mean, form can predict some things. I think it would be pretty silly to not think Nadal will at least make the QF, which would be a good result.

But there are a number of very serious players who may get that far. Imo, of course the favorite is Federer; but then after him, there's Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Tsonga, Gonzales, maybe even Baghdatis. All guys who certainly have the game to get to the SF and will be tough opponents for whoever they play.

Nadal's problem is, imo, that while on average he's better than all of those guys on HC (except for Djokovic and Federer), they're better than him when playing their A game, even if he's playing his A-game.

RoddickAce
01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, his forehand is so much bigger!

matchmaker
01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
He seems to play much more aggressive now.

He also seems to be making a lot more UE's but I think it is a good decision to try and take the initiative.

vmosrafa08
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
i agree that it is too early to see if Rafa can win the AO, but his performance on hard courts has definitely improved.

babbette
01-26-2009, 04:07 AM
Did you see the boy against Gonzo?????????? :P
Comeon Rafa! 8)

vtmike
01-26-2009, 04:42 AM
Did you see the boy against Gonzo?????????? :P
Comeon Rafa! 8)

Everyone had predicted he would beat down Gonzo esp after his 4-1/2 hour match with 12-10 in the fifth set against gasquet......not a hater......just stating the facts

Morrissey
01-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Everyone had predicted he would beat down Gonzo esp after his 4-1/2 hour match with 12-10 in the fifth set against gasquet......not a hater......just stating the facts

Just like 2007 when Nadal played Murray (4th round) in a 5 setter that lasted over 4 hours as well. Then had to play the magical run Gonzo in the very next round. Just reminding you of the facts too.

zachattack698
01-26-2009, 05:00 AM
He seems to play much more aggressive now.

He also seems to be making a lot more UE's but I think it is a good decision to try and take the initiative.

making alot more unforced errors? Your obviously not watching nadals matches. In the hass match it was like 50 something winners to 8 errors thats insane numbers.