PDA

View Full Version : More good stuff from Serena

adidasman
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Commenting on Barack Obama's inauguration, and comparing his accomplishments to hers:

"I definitely think myself and Venus has opened up a lot of doors, being the first African Americans to do so much in tennis," Serena said.
"But I never really look at that. I just look at trying to stay focused."

Ummm, Serena, you might want to look up "Ashe, Arthur", or "Gibson, Althea". They did a bit in tennis before you and your sister arrived on the scene, amazingly enough, and in a much more challenging era for African-Americans. Yeah, I know. I'm a Serena basher. Right. If she'd stop saying such idiotic, narcissistic things, I'd be happy to stop bashing.

ESP#1
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Yea she aint the brightest one out there, I also think shes overrated as a tennis player, i mean she has a horrible net game and no foot work, i think venus is alot more talented

TonyB
01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Exactly how does tennis relate to the Presidency?

She's got major ego issues. Yeah, there WERE black tennis players before the Williams sisters came along. Serena just doesn't like to admit that. Allow me to make a prediction: "Arthur Ashe Stadium" will never be renamed to "The Williams Sisters Stadium." Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

What really gets me is that the ONLY people I ever see making a big deal about black athletes is black athletes themselves. Nobody else cares, but every chance they get they keep pounding the table about African-American accomplishments. How can racial inequality die if they won't let it?

Similarly, every time Obama's name is mentioned, it's always "the first African-American President-elect Obama." Give it a rest. We know he's black. Big deal. When I look at him or hear him talk, I think of a US President, nothing more, nothing less. When people constantly qualify their accomplishments by adding "African-American" to it, that just brings another, nonessential, dimension into the topic. And I say nonessential because at this point in American history, it's not about keeping accomplishments separate any longer. People like to preach equality, but then turn around and speak in segregating terms every chance they get.

split-step
01-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I have no comment until the entire article is posted. Lots of things can be made to sound ridiculous when taken out of context.

Both Venus and Serena are very conscious of the black tennis players who went before them, especially of Althea Gibson. They have mentioned this a good number of times.

And Serena's comments are factual. They are the first african americans to do as much as they've done.

Between them they have 16 slams.
One of them won 4 slams in a row. They both ushered a new era in women's tennis. What's to argue with?

sureshs
01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Serena has said that Althea Gibson was one of her idols, along with Billie Jean King. The sisters are regulars at the Arthur Ashe day events at the USO. As usual, Serena haters like to pounce on her, with some pious excuse.

ThugNasty
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Serena has said that Althea Gibson was one of her idols, along with Billie Jean King. The sisters are regulars at the Arthur Ashe day events at the USO. As usual, Serena haters like to pounce on her, with some pious excuse.
psh she probably didnt even know who althea gibson was until she probably became a professional :rolleyes: Plus no one should even look at Serena as an African American role model. There is only one in tennis and his name was Arthur Ashe. I saw a documentary on him, he was an amazing man.

jmjmkim
01-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, growing up, I used the Head Arthur Ashe Competition I which was an awesome racket with two aluminum sheets sandwiched over fiberglass. Then, I saved up and got the Arthur Ashe Competition II, which was Aluminum sandwiched over Boron/Fiberglass. I read Arthur Ashe's biography as I learned tennis, and I considered him to be one of my all time heroes and a role model . . . and I'm Korean.

He graduated UCLA, and so did I. Of course, not the same year. I wish he had lived longer.

DarthFed
01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Gael Monfils is my African American Tennis role model

(im black by the way so no race card crap i just can't stand Serena)

FiveO
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Gael Monfils is my African American Tennis role model

(im black by the way so no race card crap i just can't stand Serena)

African American?

How does one say that in French? (the language of Mofils' homeland)

DarthFed
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
African American?

How does one say that in French? (the language of Mofils' homeland)

Yes i know he's french....technically he's Caribbean but thats something else

As a black man...kid...i need at least one Black tennis player to cheer for...Donald Young sure as hell aint it...can't stand the williams so i'll go with Monfils....he could have easily been in the NBA

split-step
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
black people are not exempt from being racist. even to other black people.

Watch boondocks sometime.

DarthFed
01-20-2009, 03:30 PM

I do watch Boondocks and i love it...i just can't stand the williams

Correction, Venus is okay, she has class and poise, its Serena i can't stand

The Monfils thing was a Joke though he is one of my favorite players

mentalcase
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Q. Do you and Venus ever get together and say, It's us or the United States has nothing?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, we never do that. I mean, we always try to believe there's new talent coming. We just continue to play really hard in hopes of someone from the United States is inspired by us.

Q. How did you handle the heat today?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It was a little hot for me today. But I was able to just, you know, take my time and play a lot slower, not giving a thousand percent.

Q. What do you think about the fact that the extreme heat policy is at the discretion of the referee? Do you think it should be more subjective; if it hits a certain temperature, they should call the match off?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think the referees are pretty good at doing their job mostly. I think, for the most part, they would be able to make the right decision.

Q. Can you describe to us how stifling it is, how difficult it makes it out there?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It was really hot today. It was more of a dry heat. It wasn't so much humidity out there, which is actually better than the humidity. But it was definitely extreme conditions. I think it was extreme conditions today.

Q. With your present silhouette, do you suppose you're able to bear the heat better than one day you might have?

SERENA WILLIAMS: With my present?

Q. What I'm trying to say is you seem much more slender than we've seen you at other times. Did that help you to bear up with all that heat?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I mean, maybe with the fat I would be able to, like, absorb more of the heat (laughter). It wouldn't necessarily bother me, so I don't know (smiling).

Q. Did you do something different conditioning‑wise in the off‑season this year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, just worked, you know, a lot in the off‑season. But I still enjoyed myself and relaxed.

Q. It seems like you manage your first‑, second‑, and third‑round matches better than you did five or six years ago. You don't play outside of yourself; you know what you have to do to just get through.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I do. I think like going out there today in this heat, I think it was pretty important for me not to, you know, I don't know, go crazy out there, try and conserve some energy. Keep in mind, I am playing doubles here, as well. I definitely want to do well in both events.

Q. 31 unforced errors, was the heat a factor in that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. Just my technique was a lot of the factor. Definitely high unforced errors for me now.

I think I hit some pretty solid shots. Sometimes I even went for some shots just to try something different.

Q. Are you superstitious at all? Do you think there's anything to the odd‑year theory of you winning here?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I am superstitious. But is there anything to the odd theory? No. One year I wasn't able to come back and defend my title. One year I went crazy. A couple years I went completely crazy. So hopefully I'll be able to stay focused this year.

Q. How would you define "completely crazy"?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Just making errors for no reason, acting up out there. I don't know. Playing like a loser, I guess.

Q. Do you think about the streak when you go into first‑round matches like this?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I try not to because it makes me a little nervous if I think about it. No matter what happens, I'm still going on strong with not losing in the first round.

Q. In this tournament, you've had so much success. You've come in when you've played a lot. You've come in when you haven't played a lot, better form, not great form. Is it really a matter of being mentally fresh for you at this tournament; is that why you think you've had success here? Is it something else?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think so. Maybe a new year, wanting to start out the year well. Also, it seems to not matter in what condition I come in here, I'm able to at least play a solid game. I honestly can't answer that.

Q. Your outfit was nice today. What inspired your choice?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Thanks. It was a pattern. Most of the time the outfits are always solid. But I love patterns. I'm really inspired by prints, like Pucci, and things like that.

Actually with that, I did the design. We had someone come over. I remember I was sitting in my apartment. I literally had to go to like different websites, not websites, but pages on the computer and kind of graphically design the pattern. So it was interesting. You know, it was just really weird concepts. We came up with some circles and some lines, just kind of things like that. It was cool.

Q. How long did it take you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It didn't take long. Probably took like two hours at the most, so...

Q. Sounds like you have a bit of a head cold. Are you feeling all right?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm feeling good. I do have a little bit of a head cold. I hope it goes away, though.

Q. Big night back home for Americans with the inauguration. Can I ask you what that means to you? Also, early hours of the morning tomorrow. Will you try and wake up and watch it?

SERENA WILLIAMS: This is an amazing moment for American history. Even yesterday, the United States being Martin Luther King's birthday. To have his birthday and Obama's presidency fall so close to each other. This morning I was watching on the TV before I went out to play. I looked at my arm, and I literally had chill bumps.

I'm a big fan of African American history, learning my roots so I can be a better person. You just look at all the things that we've come through. Now to have this opportunity in less than 24 hours is amazing.

I don't know, I'll probably record it. I need my rest for this tournament. But it's definitely something that I probably will look at.

Q. Is it inspiring for you and your sister? Do you feel in some ways yourself and Venus have done in a sporting sense what Obama has done in a political sense?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely think myself and Venus has opened up a lot of doors, being the first African Americans to do so much in tennis. But I never really look at that. I just look at trying to stay focused.

At the end of my career, I always thought I would go back and kind of dwell on that, because I don't want to get complacent and be like, Oh, I did this, I did that. It can become easy to become complacent with nine Grand Slams and counting (laughter).

Q. If you were to take another Australian Open, that would be 10. Would you prefer to be doing that at home, be taking the US Open to make it the 10th Grand Slam?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Absolutely not. I probably should already have had 10. Wherever it comes, I'll be ready and willing and able to accept it.

Q. You've said before that you don't vote, you're not political. You don't want to participate in the political process because of religious belief, I'm guessing. Talk about how that mixes with the excitement of Obama, who obviously won a political race to become President.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't vote because I am a Jehovah's Witness. I try to stay politically neutral, don't get involved in worldly matters.

It's easy for me because I was born and raised a Jehovah's Witness. For me, because I am black, seeing that happen, I would be blind if I didn't take interest in it or I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in what was going on. Obviously I am. Obviously I was listening to a lot of points that Obama was giving for his election. Some of the things that he said in order to get elected was interesting.

But it's not a hard position for me to take. I mean, hopefully the right thing will happen. But, you know, I think it's an important position for me to take in my faith.

Q. Given it is such an important part of world history, does it have an impact on you, maybe extra motivation to win this tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I wish I could get motivated from that. Maybe I should think about it. But that hasn't particularly motivated me to do better in this tournament.

Other things have motivated me.

Q. Back to being a Jehovah's Witness, do you do any door‑knocking and preaching?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, that's part of being a Witness, going door‑to‑door. I do a lot of what they call informal witnessing. I'm actually trying to do a lot of door‑to‑door witnessing.

Q. In Melbourne, do you go to any of the churches?

SERENA WILLIAMS: We went Sunday. It's called a Kingdom Hall. My mother and sister went to the Kingdom Hall. Venus went a couple times because she was here before me. It's fun to go to different areas and go to different Kingdom Halls.

Q. Are there any superstitions you have in Australia?

SERENA WILLIAMS: There's just one shower I always use here. You know, I always want the same locker, but I can't remember for the life of me what locker I use, so... I guess it doesn't necessarily work.

Q. Have you been doing a bit of shopping?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I have been keeping my shopping at a minimal with this economy thing (smiling). I've had to make major cutbacks, me and my company. We've been keeping shopping to the minimum.

Q. When you say that, you mean it feels a little too ostentatious in a time with a lot of people starving to wear millions of dollars worth of jewelry?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm not saying that. You have to, I think, live your life. I love giving, so I love philanthropy. I just have been trying to do a lot with that more lately.

Love the part about playing like a loser:)

BigGriff
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Hmmm... funny thing is I saw that press conference and she made those comments jokingly and with a smile on her face the whole time.

Serena isn't a tennis historian and I bet the majority of players don't acknowledge the pioneers and trail blazers of the sport as much as they should.

Ironically, Serena is involved in a bunch of charity events and functions which help breathe new life into the sport. I remember seeing her playing a charity event and she could barely walk due to injuries she sustained on tour. She could have easily opted out of the event but she said charity events meant that much to her so she played injured.

Some people on just intent on bashing the sisters, while they are bashing there way to the Tennis Hall of Fame. Serena has 9 slams and counting she will be in the history books along with the other greats. She isn't the most thoughtful speaker but her game speaks volumes. IMO politics and sports have always been a bad mix.

miyagi
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM

She's got major ego issues. Yeah, there WERE black tennis players before the Williams sisters came along. Serena just doesn't like to admit that. Allow me to make a prediction: "Arthur Ashe Stadium" will never be renamed to "The Williams Sisters Stadium." Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

What really gets me is that the ONLY people I ever see making a big deal about black athletes is black athletes themselves. Nobody else cares, but every chance they get they keep pounding the table about African-American accomplishments. How can racial inequality die if they won't let it?

Similarly, every time Obama's name is mentioned, it's always "the first African-American President-elect Obama." Give it a rest. We know he's black. Big deal. When I look at him or hear him talk, I think of a US President, nothing more, nothing less. When people constantly qualify their accomplishments by adding "African-American" to it, that just brings another, nonessential, dimension into the topic. And I say nonessential because at this point in American history, it's not about keeping accomplishments separate any longer. People like to preach equality, but then turn around and speak in segregating terms every chance they get.

To be honest I think you are an idiot.....

Whilst she may not have been wholy accurate in her comparison her sentiments can be understood by a 5 yr old.....instead of being blinded by your dislike for her just try to comprehend what she is saying....

Which is that she is happy about the election of Obama and her and her sister HAVE indeed opened doors they made the womens game far more popular now not only did they raise the standard and increased viewing figures they have enabled other black children to think/believe it is possible to suceed in a sport that has been dominated by white athletes....

To say nobody cares about black athletes is BS when people cared enough STOP them from taking part atheletics, in golf, in football, in tennis as well as other sports.....Go speak to Tiger woods and ask him what it was like?! Ask Lewis Hamilton whether he gets the same treatment as Michael or Alonso and we are in 2009 where all of this racism has been dead and buried.

As for Obama....if you dont like that they use the term Afro American well it's tough because just as many white people are using the term when refering to him as black people are....and the reason isn't because he is black no one mentions 50 Cent being a Afro-American when he is on stage but they did mention Eminem is white when he first came out because it is not the norm.....and just 50 years ago blacks weren't even allowed to vote let alone thought they could be the president of the USA.

So next time you want to comment on the do's and donts of what a particular race should be doin.....go read a some history before you start talking crap and try to under stand someones perspective other than your own.....

BigGriff
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM

LMAO I have seen it all! :shock:
It's official The Boondocks is proof positive that African Americans are racist. Last time I checked that cartoon was meant to be satirical in nature. Most African Americans I know think it is offensive and degrading.

TonyB
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
To be honest I think you are an idiot.....

blah

blah

blah

You seem to have missed my point entirely.

Bottom line is: you don't eliminate racism by continually shoving "African-American accompishments" into people's faces, especially the racists themselves. It just doesn't work. You eliminate it by treating everone equally, and not making huge political and athletic statements by touting the achievements of a select few "special" African-Americans. To me, pointing out how great those select few are is just as racist as anything else.

But obviously you've got everything figured out yourself. Congratulations. Clearly, I still need some work on my ideals and political-correctness. So be it.

By the way, I think it's absolutely, positively HILARIOUS that you're using sports analogies to try to prove your racism-is-not-dead theory (Tiger Woods? Come on.). If anything, athletics is the one area that proves that racism *IS* dead. Must be something like 95% black and 5% white in the NBA. Maybe 85% black and 15% white in the NFL. Care to make an estimate about pro baseball? And don't even get me started on track and field. Things have been changing for decades and will probably continue to change. There will always be prejudices against everyone of all colors and ethnicity. That will never change. But to constantly point out "African-American accomplishments" is just keeping those prejudices alive and stirring up emotions on both sides of the racist aisle.

jamesblakefan#1
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM

As a black man...kid...i need at least one Black tennis player to cheer for...Donald Young sure as hell aint it...can't stand the williams so i'll go with Monfils....he could have easily been in the NBA

What a/b James Blake? Just asking?

DarthFed
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
What a/b James Blake? Just asking?

Im going to be 100% honest...i forgot all about Blake:oops:

Mick
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Commenting on Barack Obama's inauguration, and comparing his accomplishments to hers:

"I definitely think myself and Venus has opened up a lot of doors, being the first African Americans to do so much in tennis," Serena said.

Ummm, Serena, you might want to look up "Ashe, Arthur", or "Gibson, Althea". They did a bit in tennis before you and your sister arrived on the scene, amazingly enough, and in a much more challenging era for African-Americans. Yeah, I know. I'm a Serena basher. Right. If she'd stop saying such idiotic, narcissistic things, I'd be happy to stop bashing.

maybe Serena believes that her sister and her accomplished more than AG and AA did in tennis. If you compare grand slam titles, the sisters would have more than any other african american tennis player. that would be an undeniable fact.

miyagi
01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
You seem to have missed my point entirely.

Bottom line is: you don't eliminate racism by continually shoving "African-American accompishments" into people's faces, especially the racists themselves. It just doesn't work. You eliminate it by treating everone equally, and not making huge political and athletic statements by touting the achievements of a select few "special" African-Americans. To me, pointing out how great those select few are is just as racist as anything else.

But obviously you've got everything figured out yourself. Congratulations. Clearly, I still need some work on my ideals and political-correctness. So be it.

Racism was created by one race thinking it was superior than another and trying to enforce that thought....it had nor does it have anything to do with shoving anything down your throat!

How the hell can they be forcing anything when the majority of people using the term Afro Amercian were news papers and broadcasting mediums....when have you ever heard a black person use the term Afro-American in conversation??

Racism is refusing a person a job solely because of their colour or harming a person because of their colour or stopping a race from voting because of their colour it is NOT a person saying I have done something good and now people who are the same colour as me will and can do it too!!

Clearly you are an ***!!

TonyB
01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Racism was created by one race thinking it was superior than another and trying to enforce that thought....it had nor does it have anything to do with shoving anything down your throat!

How the hell can they be forcing anything when the majority of people using the term Afro Amercian were news papers and broadcasting mediums....when have you ever heard a black person use the term Afro-American in conversation??

Racism is refusing a person a job solely because of their colour or harming a person because of their colour or stopping a race from voting because of their colour it is NOT a person saying I have done something good and now people who are the same colour as me will and can do it too!!

Clearly you are an ***!!

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with that one.

After careful consideration, I won't even bother.

halalula1234
01-20-2009, 05:03 PM

She's got major ego issues. Yeah, there WERE black tennis players before the Williams sisters came along. Serena just doesn't like to admit that. Allow me to make a prediction: "Arthur Ashe Stadium" will never be renamed to "The Williams Sisters Stadium."

of course not but maybe they might have a new stadium named after them like pat rafter did this year.

obnoxious2
01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
That's why I don't really fancy her. She's just a plain idiot. Not to blame it all on her given the genes coursing their her blood from her idiotic father.

janipyt05
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Why is being called an Afro American such a big deal isn't it what they are, off African decent born in America, maybe that is what they should say instead but again that is long.

Black people make a deal because they weren't exactly welcomed with open arms but rather had to fight to be who we and fight yet further to be FREE something which i think your post does not encapsulate. So yes if they choose to shout from the roof top just move out the way let it be done and move on. It is true that the Williams sister combined have done a lot for tennis, between the 2 of them they have plenty of trophies, singles, doubles, Olympics and so on.

Why must it a be made a big deal if she talks about she was after all asked, not like she was like Iím just so dame hot. She was asked she answered. To compare to Presidency is just about the struggle black people have gone through on all levels in many situations nothing more.. As to whether they should compare it is ones choice really.

Yes off course i think telecasters should mention that Obama is African American because that is what he is and that is the best term to describe him. It not only tells you he is African but he is also an American and proudly so. A lot of people are proud to have THE first Black President born of a Kenyan father and a white mother, the seemingly impossible is now and forever will be possible.

Iím sorry its not about giving it a rest, when slavery was for so long, when black people couldnít share the bus with white folks, when slaves where raped by the Massa, when they where hanged, burned, decapitated, bought and sold like clothing, when they couldnít go to school, you donít even need to look that far, even as short as 60 years ago when they couldnít vote, when JFK fought for the equal rights and he was killed, when Martin Luther King fought for equal rights and he was killed, those things can not be forgotten so YES do say he is a African American President, because with that title it says so much yet takes so little to say.

You may not feel itís important but it is very important, because finally the Black man has arrived when for so long we have been looking ahead at a journey that seemed impossible. You say when you see him as US President thatís just it we black people even other races recognise the importance of Obama. So no I donít just see him as just another President.

Then you quote different sports like Basketball, NFL Track and Field, well black people are good at these kinds of sports, you donít see too many in Ice Hockey, or deep sea diving, Mountains climbing, or going to space itís just not what we do because or so little of them do these kinds of things, different strokes for different folks I donít see anything racist in such statics its fact. To point out the achievements is to be proud when for so long we couldnít do these things, oppression has been for so long our story but not anymore, if you havenít felt any of the sufferings of black people and in fact many other races, the Jews, Red then you just donít understand and will never understand. You also say nobody really care, because if you havenít felt the suffering why would you care it simply doesnít affect you so why try to understand.

TonyB
01-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Why is being called an Afro American such a big deal isn't it what they are, off African decent born in America, maybe that is what they should say instead but again that is long.

Black people make a deal because they weren't exactly welcomed with open arms but rather had to fight to be who we and fight yet further to be FREE something which i think your post does not encapsulate. So yes if they choose to shout from the roof top just move out the way let it be done and move on. It is true that the Williams sister combined have done a lot for tennis, between the 2 of them they have plenty of trophies, singles, doubles, Olympics and so on.

Why must it a be made a big deal if she talks about she was after all asked, not like she was like Iím just so dame hot. She was asked she answered. To compare to Presidency is just about the struggle black people have gone through on all levels in many situations nothing more.. As to whether they should compare it is ones choice really.

Yes off course i think telecasters should mention that Obama is African American because that is what he is and that is the best term to describe him. It not only tells you he is African but he is also an American and proudly so. A lot of people are proud to have THE first Black President born of a Kenyan father and a white mother, the seemingly impossible is now and forever will be possible.

Iím sorry its not about giving it a rest, when slavery was for so long, when black people couldnít share the bus with white folks, when slaves where raped by the Massa, when they where hanged, burned, decapitated, bought and sold like clothing, when they couldnít go to school, you donít even need to look that far, even as short as 60 years ago when they couldnít vote, when JFK fought for the equal rights and he was killed, when Martin Luther King fought for equal rights and he was killed, those things can not be forgotten so YES do say he is a African American President, because with that title it says so much yet takes so little to say.

You may not feel itís important but it is very important, because finally the Black man has arrived when for so long we have been looking ahead at a journey that seemed impossible. You say when you see him as US President thatís just it we black people even other races recognise the importance of Obama. So no I donít just see him as just another President.

Then you quote different sports like Basketball, NFL Track and Field, well black people are good at these kinds of sports, you donít see too many in Ice Hockey, or deep sea diving, Mountains climbing, or going to space itís just not what we do because or so little of them do these kinds of things, different strokes for different folks I donít see anything racist in such statics its fact. To point out the achievements is to be proud when for so long we couldnít do these things, oppression has been for so long our story but not anymore, if you havenít felt any of the sufferings of black people and in fact many other races, the Jews, Red then you just donít understand and will never understand. You also say nobody really care, because if you havenít felt the suffering why would you care it simply doesnít affect you so why try to understand.

Brother, are you Chinese?

janipyt05
01-21-2009, 02:26 AM
^^ No i'm not chinese what would it matter if i was and no i'm not a brother. If that is you response you really have nothing to say.

TonyB
01-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Are you sure you're not Chinese?

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
01-21-2009, 05:40 AM
No one can say anything about Serena, as there is a good chance she would beat you to a pulp, then eat you.

cknobman
01-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Wow. I don't even know where to begin with that one.

After careful consideration, I won't even bother.

Your barking up the wrong tree here.

Miyagi apparently dosnt have a broad enough knowledge on the subject or is just to closed minded to debate logically with you. He/she will continue to rant about the same narrow minded things over and over again entirely missing the point.

drakulie
01-21-2009, 06:00 AM

You will need to excuse, Serena. She was only at 6% during the interview, oh and the sun was in her eyes.

JankovicFan
01-21-2009, 06:28 AM
It was "racist" to have asked Serena the question.:shock: It has nothing to do with tennis, and Serena is not a political maven. I don't want to know what she thinks about anything except tennis and how to manage 50 million dollars.

eagle
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
You will need to excuse, Serena. She was only at 6% during the interview, oh and the sun was in her eyes.

Hilarious! :)

Just wondering... was she grunting while answering these questions?

r,
eagle

janipyt05
01-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Are you sure you're not Chinese?

Yes very sure, is that all you have to say.

I guess you have no response.

drakulie
01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I’m sorry its not about giving it a rest, when slavery was for so long, when black people couldn’t share the bus with white folks, when slaves where raped by the Massa, when they where hanged, burned, decapitated, bought and sold like clothing, when they couldn’t go to school, you don’t even need to look that far,

wow. I love how people just love to take a tiny little snippet out of world history to prove something. (esepcially when it comes to how "terrible" the United States has been to blacks)

For starters, "slavery wasn't invented by the United States". It was going on hundreds of thousand of years before the US came into existence. In fact, it was being practiced in AFRICA for hundreds and hundreds of years (much longer than the US), and for a longer period after the US abolished it.

Blacks have had slaves too (whites and other blacks). Blacks have also raped, burned, hanged, etc their slaves as well. Additionally, **currently** continue to practice prejudice/racism against other blacks by murdering/raping them in the tens of thousands to the point where it is being considered genocide.

Blacks that were sold into slavery here in the US were sold by other blacks in Africa. More-over, many blacks that were freed after the Civil War chose to go back to Africa. Guess what??? many were once again put into slavery by other blacks.

If you are going to cite history as it pertains to slavery>>> try and give us the whole story. Not just a **VERY** small snippet of it.

Turning Pro
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
She's an EGOTISTICAL SELF LOVING BEACH WHALE. She should look in the mirror and hope for it not to shatter into tiny fragments.

Ocean Drive
01-21-2009, 02:16 PM

and you've seen him play basketball...

TheTruth
01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with anything Serena said. Period.

heftylefty
01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
psh she probably didnt even know who althea gibson was until she probably became a professional :rolleyes: Plus no one should even look at Serena as an African American role model. There is only one in tennis and his name was Arthur Ashe. I saw a documentary on him, he was an amazing man.

I very sure Serena know who Gibson was before she turn pro. And Gibson was indeed a role model. Read about her life sometime.

ThugNasty
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with anything Serena said. Period.
tell me about it. Although had this been a federer thread, you would have come up with the most ridiculous assumptions.

TheTruth
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
tell me about it. Although had this been a federer thread, you would have come up with the most ridiculous assumptions.

Please don't attempt to tell me what I would have said, as I don't know what I will say from moment to moment. I do however think Fed is way more arrogant than Serena, but I'm sure you think that's ridiculous. Difference of opinion.

ThugNasty
01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Please don't attempt to tell me what I would have said, as I don't know what I will say from moment to moment. I do however think Fed is way more arrogant than Serena, but I'm sure you think that's ridiculous. Difference of opinion.

there is definitely a difference in opinion(:lol: fed more arrogant than serena:lol:), but i was just pointing out some massive double standard.

TheTruth
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
there is definitely a difference in opinion. Actually it is so ridiculous that I find it laughable. :lol:

The biggest difference is that you say whatever you please about Federer. You literally lap him up, and that's ok. It doesn't bother me, because I don't care who you like or why. But, I would never post to you to attack your likes or dislikes. There's another difference.

ThugNasty
01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
The biggest difference is that you say whatever you please about Federer. You literally lap him up, and that's ok. It doesn't bother me, because I don't care who you like or why. But, I would never post to you to attack your likes or dislikes. There's another difference.
I didnt attack your likes and dislikes either. I just tryed to make a point about how you always turn up the heat in federer threads and than back away when it comes to your favorite players.

sureshs
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Serena's backhand is better than Federer's.

jman
01-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Very good post!
Just as Martin Luther King said:

'I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.'

TheTruth
01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I didnt attack your likes and dislikes either. I just tryed to make a point about how you always turn up the heat in federer threads and than back away when it comes to your favorite players.

You take this board way too seriously. Why do you care who anybody likes or dislikes? Live and let live. I'm going to post my thoughts, if you disagree I'm sorry.

herosol
01-21-2009, 04:58 PM
racism and slavery.

oh the ignorance is so not very blissful to me.

tennis1986
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
wow. I love how people just love to take a tiny little snippet out of world history to prove something. (esepcially when it comes to how "terrible" the United States has been to blacks)

For starters, "slavery wasn't invented by the United States". It was going on hundreds of thousand of years before the US came into existence. In fact, it was being practiced in AFRICA for hundreds and hundreds of years (much longer than the US), and for a longer period after the US abolished it.

Blacks have had slaves too (whites and other blacks). Blacks have also raped, burned, hanged, etc their slaves as well. Additionally, **currently** continue to practice prejudice/racism against other blacks by murdering/raping them in the tens of thousands to the point where it is being considered genocide.

Blacks that were sold into slavery here in the US were sold by other blacks in Africa. More-over, many blacks that were freed after the Civil War chose to go back to Africa. Guess what??? many were once again put into slavery by other blacks.

If you are going to cite history as it pertains to slavery>>> try and give us the whole story. Not just a **VERY** small snippet of it.

Wow, never seen such ignorance in one post. I hardly think blacks are saying how slavery only happened to them. By mentioning the slavery of their own race in the U.S. does not negate slavery worldwide. That would be like saying the jews think there the only group of people who suffered mass genoicide during WW II because they keep mentioning it. I love how the "black sold slaves" logic is used, as if that excuses the fact that caucasian Americans and European Americans purchased slaves. It seems that fact is always brought up to try and vitiate the role European and Americans had in purchasing slavery, as if some of them (not all but some) get tense or nervous that members of their own race :gasp: had slaves. Yes it happened a long time ago, yes blacks need to "get over it". But it is apart of history and like every other aspect it should be taught and understood. And let me just conclude (since this isn't the board) that slavery is not the only despicable act that happened. There are plenty of blacks who can remember and have family members remember segregation during the first half of the 20th century in America. Love the "terrible" in quotes too.

Fred132
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Great post. I totally agree.

sondraj
01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow I don't post on tennis boards anymore mainly because this reason right here. I think it's a great thing that most of the world sees the election of the first African American president in America a great positive thing that should be praised and not shunned and hidden because of the fact that he is the first African American president.

When you live in a country or world that feels the need to define it's history by the accomplishments of a select group of people, preach equality and then turn around and set aside a particular section out the year to remember every body else, it is ironic to me that people are upset when such things are brought into the public spectrum. We have American history and then we have African American history as if African American history is some how separate from the history of the America's. As well as with Chinese American history or native American history. So yes I still think that in this day and age it is very important to acknowledge when some one of a different ethnicity does something for the first time in that countries history. The same would be said if we were celebrating the first woman president in American history although I don't think that would cause so much outrage on this board as the election and mentioning of the first African American president has caused.

And the problem with being called African American being that I am an African American woman myself, is that people don't seem to understand there is a difference between being called some one of African descent and being called African American.

To clarify for every one African is not a race it is a nationality. There are Indian Africans, white Africans, black Africans and so on and so forth. By calling me or any other black person born in the U.S African American you are implying that we are from Africa. I am not from African, I am from America. I have never been to Africa. I am not a citizen of any country in Africa. I am a descendant of Africans, black Africans. So if some one wants to know my race I say Black. If you want to know my ancestry I say African. If you want to know my nationality I am American.

Does that help, actress Charlize Theron is African American and guess what she is white.

drakulie
01-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Wow, never seen such ignorance in one post.

go back, and look at the quote I responded to>>>> MOMO

drakulie
01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow I don't post on tennis boards anymore mainly because this reason right here. I think it's a great thing that most of the world sees the election of the first African American president in America a great positive thing that should be praised and not shunned and hidden because of the fact that he is the first African American president.

When you live in a country or world that feels the need to define it's history by the accomplishments of a select group of people, preach equality and then turn around and set aside a particular section out the year to remember every body else, it is ironic to me that people are upset when such things are brought into the public spectrum. We have American history and then we have African American history as if African American history is some how separate from the history of the America's. As well as with Chinese American history or native American history. So yes I still think that in this day and age it is very important to acknowledge when some one of a different ethnicity does something for the first time in that countries history. The same would be said if we were celebrating the first woman president in American history although I don't think that would cause so much outrage on this board as the election and mentioning of the first African American president has caused.

And the problem with being called African American being that I am an African American woman myself, is that people don't seem to understand there is a difference between being called some one of African descent and being called African American.

To clarify for every one African is not a race it is a nationality. There are Indian Africans, white Africans, black Africans and so on and so forth. By calling me or any other black person born in the U.S African American you are implying that we are from Africa. I am not from African, I am from America. I have never been to Africa. I am not a citizen of any country in Africa. I am a descendant of Africans, black Africans. So if some one wants to know my race I say Black. If you want to know my ancestry I say African. If you want to know my nationality I am American.

Does that help, actress Charlize Theron is African American and guess what she is white.

Nicely put.

I am sure however, you understand many "blacks" who are "American" like to be called "African American". I don't agree with them, as I believe>>> like you do that we are Americans.

Thanks, and God Bless. :)

danb
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM

She doesn't seem too bright doesn't she? She's got MAJOR ego problems.
Still, I like her tennis and I like Venus a lot more.

danb
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM

You might have a point here ... :):):)
I would also say she's got bigger balls. LOL (just kidding)

vmosrafa08
01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
their tennis should do the talking... venus lost and serena almost lost as well

janipyt05
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Firstly i did not say slavery was started by American's it would be nice if you read my post right. Secondly i was answering to a post that said black people should give slavery a rest. You have taken my quote of the context it was answered in to make it look like i was giving reasons as to why slavery by American is bad, yet i was only reminding this person why we can not just give it a rest.

Further more i go on to say to this person you don't need to even look as far back as slavery to see that Black people sufferd in the 60's yet slavery by then was done yet you have the KKK and others killing black people for all sorts of reasons but you fail to add that in your post.

You also fail too see what i posted were facts, these are things that did happened in one was or another.
You try to justfy slavery by saying that it was done in Africa before the american's came round as though that makes it ok.

You are trying to give a history lesson i was trying to give reasons as to why we should't give slavery a rest for all the reason i mentioned and nothing more. Seems to me your are the one taking snippets as you took my quote out of the context it was answered in.

To prove that i made my point this person never responded. So no i didn't need to give a full history lesson, i just needed to show WHY slavery shouldn't be given a rest that's what my quote was responding too.

NamRanger
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
All I know is this. If there was a White Entertainment Channel, it would get shut down so fast it wouldn't be funny. Yet BET, the Black Entertainment Channel has been in existence forever.

Quite the double standards!

topspin
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
bahhahahahahahahaha, oh wow, I haven't' had such a good laugh in awhile:)

drakulie
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
To prove that i made my point this person never responded.

LOL. This doesn't prove anything. Now go cry a river at the White House.

split-step
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
All I know is this. If there was a White Entertainment Channel, it would get shut down so fast it wouldn't be funny. Yet BET, the Black Entertainment Channel has been in existence forever.

Quite the double standards!

Umm, mainstream television is white entertainment channel. Innthe past, blacks were excluded from entertainment except to be mamies and maids and bumbling idiots on screen.

Even now how many shows on fox, abc, cbs and nbc are about black families? Anything like the Cosby show on?
How many black actors are there struggling for roles? How many shows/roles are being written for black characters??

How long has the Cosby show been off the air. Have we had another attempt at portraying the black family on screen? How many?

What is so wrong in having a network with shows that cater to african americans? Some people are just willfully obtuse.

By the way BET is now owned by whitey so give it a rest.

miyagi
01-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Your barking up the wrong tree here.

Miyagi apparently dosnt have a broad enough knowledge on the subject or is just to closed minded to debate logically with you. He/she will continue to rant about the same narrow minded things over and over again entirely missing the point.

Exactly what dont I have a broad enough knowledge to debate about?

Please point out what I missed with TonyB rude and offensive response.

I will happily debate this with you in a nice calm fashion.....

*waits*

miyagi
01-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Umm, mainstream television is white entertainment channel. Innthe past, blacks were excluded from entertainment except to be mamies and maids and bumbling idiots on screen.

Even now how many shows on fox, abc, cbs and nbc are about black families? Anything like the Cosby show on?
How many black actors are there struggling for roles? How many shows/roles are being written for black characters??

How long has the Cosby show been off the air. Have we had another attempt at portraying the black family on screen? How many?

What is so wrong in having a network with shows that cater to african americans? Some people are just willfully obtuse.

By the way BET is now owned by whitey so give it a rest.

What annoys me, is people do not stop to think or even go and do some research before speaking.....

People think racism is under control and has been wiped out but it is a false perception yes many people would not openly call someone a derogatory name however they still have very racist views and it is ashame.

Thinking a channel to help get talented people onto TV but they were being INTENTIONALLY blocked from TV is some how reverse racism.....

Black people get told to stop moaning and help themselves and when they do they get attacked about being hypocritical....

How can a Black man becoming president turn into a negative thing....lets be honest Bush did such a bad job ANYONE of ANYONE colour is an imporvement.

janipyt05
01-23-2009, 04:37 AM
LOL. This doesn't prove anything. Now go cry a river at the White House.

Then lets wait for a response which has not come yet, either this person is taking long to reply or they don't have anything as a counter response, if they thought i was wrong or didn't agree they would say something just like you responded.

You yourself have nothing to say after my response accept that i should cry to the white house... ok i'll just do that :confused: