PDA

View Full Version : Serena clueless ?

Tshooter
01-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Anyone else see the interview clip on ESPN of Serana in which she states "being the first African Americans [with her sister I assume] to have done so much in tennis."

Without in any way diminishing her or her sister's extraordinary achievements, is she really that clueless?

Has she heard of Althea Gibson ? Arther Ashe? Those two had to bust open the door. Gibson played in the 50s. African Americans couldn't even join the West Side Tennis Club (then home of the USO).

Note to Serena. You're standing on the shoulders of people that came before you.

callitout
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I actually was coming to like Venus in recent years...But Carillo said today that Venus doesnt want to talk about the inauguration because she doesnt vote. I dont look for much from a pro athlete but it takes a lot of work for her to explain why she gets to enjoy all the liberties paved by the sacrifices of her forefathers and doesnt at least vote...aagh.
I know your topic was about Serena who has always seemed hopelessly self-absorbed (even for a tennis player).

GameSampras
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Arrogance from Serena. Why expect anything less?

DashaandSafin
01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I actually was coming to like Venus in recent years...But Carillo said today that Venus doesnt want to talk about the inauguration because she doesnt vote. I dont look for much from a pro athlete but it takes a lot of work for her to explain why she gets to enjoy all the liberties paved by the sacrifices of her forefathers and doesnt at least vote...aagh.
I know your topic was about Serena who has always seemed hopelessly self-absorbed (even for a tennis player).

I didnt vote. Both candidates were horrible.

dennis10is
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm not a fan of either of them but you need to listen to the whole comment by Carillo. They do not vote on account of their religious beliefs.

Tshooter
01-20-2009, 07:08 PM
As said above, they don't involve themselves in politics because of religious beliefs. I don't see why that should disturb you.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Serena and Venus don't vote because of religious beliefs. That's a lot more understandable than people like "you know" Caroline "you know" Schlossberg "you know" who "you know" can't be bothered to "you know" vote and now is going to "you know" become the Senator from "you know" New York. Or idiots like Ben Affleck who urge people to go out and vote and then on election day, forget to do so themselves.

380pistol
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Anyone else see the interview clip on ESPN of Serana in which she states "being the first African Americans [with her sister I assume] to have done so much in tennis."

Without in any way diminishing her or her sister's extraordinary achievements, is she really that clueless?

Has she heard of Althea Gibson ? Arther Ashe? Those two had to bust open the door. Gibson played in the 50s. African Americans couldn't even join the West Side Tennis Club (then home of the USO).

Note to Serena. You're standing on the shoulders of people that came before you.

With that comment Serena needs to remove her head from her ***.

Why should Venus vote?? Why should that be forced upon her???

Those before Venus fought and sacrificed so she could have the right to vote, not to make it something mandatory for her to do.
They fought and sacrifeiced to have the same liberties and someone else, and that liberty gives Venus the freedom to coose to or not to vote.