PDA

View Full Version : quick question about when you first started playing

BradWilson
01-20-2009, 07:03 PM
ok when you first started playing and was trying to copy a pro or anyone then you watched someone that totally stunk at playing, did you start copying the person that stunk b/c they were the last thing you saw. i was just wondering. thanks in advance and sorry if the question seemed confusing.

LeeD
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Watch the pros on TV, then try to copy someone your build.
If none availible, watch a good tennis player, but really watch one who's similar in build that you are.
Watch lousy players, don't copy them, do the opposite.
I started in 1974. Watched young Connors, McEnroe, older Tanner and even older Laver. I'm lefty, 5'11", so close enough.

BradWilson
01-20-2009, 07:30 PM
i know that much ive been playing for a good while now and try to copy the jokester. but now ive gotten good enough to just go out and try something new, then if it didnt work id go back to what i originally did. for example tried to hit my forehand like nadal for atleast a month. i was beaten some people but it was uncomfortable so i went back.

jasoncho92
01-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Watch the pros on TV, then try to copy someone your build.
If none availible, watch a good tennis player, but really watch one who's similar in build that you are.
Watch lousy players, don't copy them, do the opposite.
I started in 1974. Watched young Connors, McEnroe, older Tanner and even older Laver. I'm lefty, 5'11", so close enough.
Did you comprehend what he wrote? Hes not asking for instructions on what to do, hes wondering if you personally get the bad players strokes into your head. And no, this doesnt happen to me although my strokes to break down if i dont fix them every now and then

LeeD
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
"watch lousy players, don't copy them, do the opposite"
I think that says it all, don't you?

lawlaw
01-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I was fortunate enough to have a grass court at our home and would go outside and pi$$ everyone off by hitting the ball as hard as possible (usually into the hedge). This resulted in me having to leave the court on numerous occasions. I think I was about 6/7 when I first hit a ball on a court.

As for players, I always watched Becker, Stich, Sampras and Agassi. I actually tried to go two-handed on the BH because he was playing it but that lasted about two junior events and resulted in epic failure and a very orange Donnay finding itself broken in half.

I think that if your own form is not set, it is very easy to start playing like the guy at the other end of the court. This is what I have noticed.

Now I only watch Roger, Sampras, Stich, Becker & Edberg. That's all you need :D

mental midget
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
i didn't start following tennis until had been playing for a few months. the only player modeling i remember doing is watching lendl's and edberg's backhands--didn't try to emulate their exact strokes, but tried to absorb what was going on there that made them so effective.

BullDogTennis
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
make your own style. low to high, what comes from that, comes