PDA

View Full Version : Down the Line Shot?

TNEU91
01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
When trying to make a down the line shot I am not sure which of these 3 options to use.

1. Closing Stance-Turning Shoulders

2. Making Contact later - This seems to work sometimes but sometimes I feel like im being jamd and not obtaining maximum power

3. Changing racquet swing into one that will result in a down the line shot.

Please let me know what I should do when going down the line.

The_Steak
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
One hand back hand or a 2 hander?

TNEU91
01-20-2009, 07:02 PM
2 hander, and also my forehand.

Steady Eddy
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
This is more for doubles, but sometimes I see an opening and want to go down the line. But often I have trouble closing my stance in time, I hit from an open stance and it goes cross-court to the netman. Now, instead, I hit from an open stance. I know it doesn't look very pretty, but I'm facing the net, I stick my racquet out to the side and block the ball into the open court. It's been working for me, but if you're quicker with your footwork and can get turned around in time, go for it.

larry10s
01-21-2009, 03:54 AM
there will be times when you may have to use of of those three options. however if someone was feeding you an easy ball you could get to in time see what you do to hit it down the line. that would be your most natural way to play the ball. for me on the fore hand side i tend to keep an open stance and hit it a fraction"late" and swing more "foward "along the the line of flight ( dont know if i explained that right). i have 1h bh so for down the line i close my shoulders to the net alittle more hit with closed stance and again try to go more foward with my swing path. this for ball at the baseline. on the forehand side if i am coming in behind a short ball and approaching up the line o will usualluse a more neutral stance and hit through the ball (ie moving foward as i hit it)

SystemicAnomaly
01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
If you are hitting an outside ball -- one that is coming to you from x-court -- be sure that you are hitting slightly on the "outside of the ball" when you are going down the line so that your shot does not flare out wide.

http://tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Instruction_Articles/Backhand/2006_04_18_effective_slice_2.jpg

This graphic shows "hitting on the outside of the ball" for a 1-handed BH slice. However, the same sort of idea applies to hitting a topspin FH or topspin 2-hander.

Jim A
01-21-2009, 08:00 AM
even when closed with a 1hbh, you would still need to take it a touch later to put it down the line, i think you would have more variability with the fh depending on if you are closed/open

LeeD
01-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Totally depends....
If you have the time, and the energy, the best setup is turn your shoulders, align your feet, racket back, and stroke the ball down the line.
Most players don't always have the time, and second best is to just turn the shoulders, racket back, and go down the line.
Whether you lay the racketface back late and leave it there thru the stroke or actually stroke normally is up to you. Which is more consistent is the main question, and which has the power you want.
I'd not want to change the actual swing too much.