PDA

View Full Version : Clemson Women's Team lineup

SCSI
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know what the lineup will be like this year? I take it that Ani Mijacika will be number 1 again, but I am curious as to what the rest of lineup will be.

Fedace
01-21-2009, 06:18 AM
http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/clem-w-tennis-mtt.html

Not sure but they have players from Croatia and Bosnia. maybe they have some connections over there. really cute girls too.

LSStringing
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/mtt/clem-w-tennis-mtt.html

Not sure but they have players from Croatia and Bosnia. maybe they have some connections over there. really cute girls too.

If you don't know, don't post. I'm sure the OP could have found this link on their own. You're trolling.

JMS
01-21-2009, 01:16 PM
If you don't know, don't post. I'm sure the OP could have found this link on their own. You're trolling.

Well your post did nothing to help either.

SCSI
01-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, I will find out soon in person ;-).

Sleepstream
01-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Well, I will find out soon in person ;-).

Tomorrow afternoon?

SCSI
01-22-2009, 10:04 AM
No, on Sunday against VCU. VCU has a few new players from Romania, and I am wondering how they will play. Also, I don't think they have figured out the lineup either. So, I am very curious as to how it will go.

My guess is that Ana Bara will play against Ani Mijacika. Ana is very solid from both wings but Ani is ranked very high and is a superb athlete, so it should be a good match.

Katya Yergina of VCU will likely play at #2. She is very talented with an awesome backhand, but I have no idea who she will play against. Regardless, she would give VCU a good chance to win at this position.

Then, I have no idea who will play #3 position. It could be Alex Bara, Laura Burns, or Lena Leonchuk. It would be very interesting to see what the coaches might do. They could either have Laura and Lena play lower position for sure wins or play straight up.

Regardless, since VCU is lacking a clear #1 player that could play at WTA as they did before with Tatiana Uvarova and they are not very strong in doubles, it would be tough for them to pull it off.

VCU did upset Clemson last year at Clemson, but Mijacika was injured and did not play.

Sleepstream
01-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I can tell you tomorrow if I decide to go watch them play.

SCSI
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Thanks!

Sleepstream
01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Also, if Coach Harris goes by rankings, Bek would be playing #2 singles.

http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRankings/Rankings/0809D1Women/DI_Women_Singles_Rankings_1_6_09.htm

That's as of Jan 6th. Impressive for Clemson to have 2 top-10 players.

SCSI
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Clemson has done well with recruiting top talents seemingly always. But, it is still impressive.

Given this, it would take a miracle for VCU to pull it off. Having a couple of top players would have made a world of difference, but none seems to have made it to this season for one reason or another. VCU will have to somehow win one at #1 or #2 to have any chance. They are actually pretty strong at mid to lower positions, so they might be able to pull off 3 wins from 3-6 positions, but especially given that they will be playing (4) 4X1 matches on Friday and Saturday, it would be extra challenging to do so.

SCSI
01-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Any updates from today's matches?

SCSI
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Actually, I just looked it up from U. of Charleston website:

#11 Clemson - 7
College of Charleston - 0

Doubles
#1 Mijacika/Bek def. Leskosky/Borza, 8-2
#2 Hadziselimovic/Wong def. Evans/Casey, 8-0
#3 Luc/Balda def. Mulligan/Newman, 8-2

Singles
#1 A. Mijacika def. Link Leskosky, 6-1, 6-0
#2 J. Bek def. Laura Borza, 6-0, 6-3
#3 E. Balda def. Caroline Newman, 6-1, 6-2
#4 K. Wong def. Anna Lee Evans, 6-0, 6-0
#5 I. Hadziselimovic def. Kinsey Casey, 6-1, 6-3
#6 A. Luc def. Keely Mulligan, 6-2, 6-4

Of course, they have Laurianne Henry and Federica van Adrichem, too. So, they are pretty deep... IMHO, they are one of the best teams in the country and they are better than their current ranking would indicate. Also, Mijacika and Bek seem to be healty, so it is not looking good for VCU.

Therefore, VCU somehow needs to pull out a doubles win, score a win in either #1 or #2 position, then win two more in the rest of the lineup. It is quite possible that VCU will pull out two wins at 3-6, but it would be very tough to beat either of their top two players or get the doubles point.

Either way, it will be a good match and I will be there.

Sleepstream
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry, I would have gotten to this earlier but was doing some things.

Laurianne and Federica did not play today due to injury. I'm quite sure Laurianne will not be playing on Sunday, though this is based upon conversation I heard in the stands.

The matches were pretty good. Surprisingly there was some serve and volleying. Quite a few dropshots by 2 or 3 of the Clemson players, and these ended the point the majority of the time.

Fedace
01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
is Hadziselimovic HOT or what ??? but what is wrong with her knees ??

Sleepstream
01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
is Hadziselimovic HOT or what ??? but what is wrong with her knees ??

What about her knees? I noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Fedace
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
What about her knees? I noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

she was wearing Braces on her right knees....:(

Sleepstream
01-23-2009, 07:20 PM
she was wearing Braces on her right knees....:(

I believe the photo on the website is just a file photo. She was not wearing a brace during today's match. She was moving quite well.

Fedace
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I believe the photo on the website is just a file photo. She was not wearing a brace during today's match. She was moving quite well.

what are some of her weapons ??? no pun intended..,:)

Sleepstream
01-23-2009, 07:35 PM
what are some of her weapons ??? no pun intended..,:)

Don't really recall. The match didn't stand out that much.

SCSI
01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Haven't seen her play, but I expect her to be a counter puncher.

BTW, thanks for the info. How did Bek and Mijacika play? I mean what style and did they do the dropshots? I recall Mijacika being an all-courter, but any color would be appreciated.

Fedace, how did you watch the match? Were you there in person?

mikeler
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Who here is a Clemson Alumni? I graduated from there in 96.

Sleepstream
01-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Anyone have the results from today's matches yet?

blue12
01-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Who cares! College tennis is nothing more than European Club tennis!

SCSI
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry for the delayed report...

VCU lost 4-3, as you can see below. It was much closer than I had anticipated. First, VCU came off the starting line hot and was leading in #1 and #2 doubles matches, but they ended up losing both. Then, it appeared that VCU changed their lineup a bit, switching Yergina with Alex Bara. So, they were looking to win by sweeping #3-#6 positions. It almost worked, except at #4 Lena Leonchuk fell to Wong in three sets. I am not sure what happened to Lena in the third set, but she wasn't playing well for some reason. Hopefully, there was no injury...

Also, Ana Bara, playing at #1, put up a very good fight. She hit very hard from both wings and played well, but Ani Mijacika's experience and all-court game was a little too much in the end. Mijacika twisted her ankle and had to be taped up during the doubles, but she seemed to be moving fine during the singles. Although it was evident that she is a very talented player, she didn't seem to be playing well for her usual standards. I am sure Ana's hard hitting didn't help either, though Majicika seemed to struggle a bit even during the doubles match missing some easy shots. Overall, it was a very good match to watch.

At #2, Bek's game was a bit too much for Alex Bara, though Alex played pretty well.

At #3, Katya Yergina recovered from a slow start, and brought forth her talent in the second and third set, hitting hard and dictating the play. It was a very nice win for her, considering she wasn't playing well in earlier matches.

At #5, Laura Burns beat Ina Hadziselimovic easily, which is not too surprising, since Laura is VCU's most consistent getter of Ws and is quite good at dealing with typical baseliners at mid to lower positions.

At #6, Mihaela Bunea defeated Alexandra Luc. It was a sort of dead rubber, as Clemson captured 4 points already, but it was a nice win for Mihaela and she played pretty well.

Both Bek and Mijacika are all-court players. They both used drop shots effectively and were pretty comfortable at the net. Mijacika seemed to be taller than 5' 10", but it is probably because she has long legs and arms.

Ina Hadziselimovic looked more like one of the models from the Madrid Masters event than a tennis player with a slight build and very long hair. It is pretty amazing that she can play tennis so good while looking so good. She is definitely one of the most attractive female college tennis players I have seen in person.

Overall, I feel that VCU let this one get away, especially given that Clemson had two injured players and they were playing at home. Still, it is good to see them playing more as a team more than any time in resent memory. Bara sisters played well and they seem to have more upside to their game, so it should bode well for their program. Both of them should be feeling good about their performance.

BTW, I am also thankful that Clemson didn't have some obnoxious and annoying chants like Williams & Mary. It was easy to see that it is a very well run program credit to their famed coach. Also, their players were pretty fair with the line calling. I wish them well for their success this season. :)

WOMEN’S TENNIS SUFFERS FIRST LOSS, 4-3
1-25-09

RICHMOND, Va. – Clemson avenged a narrow loss to Virginia Commonwealth University last season with a 4-3 win Sunday at the Thalhimer Tennis Center.

The loss is VCU’s first of the season. The Rams are 4-1, while Clemson improves to 2-0.

VCU junior Laura Burns raised her record to 7-0 this season, defeating Ina Hadziselimovic, 6-3, 6-1 on the No. 5 singles court. Sophomore Kateryna Yergina and freshman Mihaela Bunea also picked up singles wins for the Rams.

#11 CLEMSON 4, VCU 3
Doubles
1. Ani Mijacika/Josipa Bek (CU) d. Alex Bara/Ana Bara, 8-6
2. Keri Wong/Ina Hadziselimovic (CU) d. Kateryna Yergina/Laura Burns, 8-4
3. Alexandra Luc/Estefania Balda (CU) d. Olena Leonchuk/Mihaela Bunea, 8-5
Singles
1. Mijacika (CU) d. Ana Bara 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. Bek (CU) d. Alex Bara, 6-2, 6-3
3. Yergina (VCU) d. Balda, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Wong (CU) d. Leonchuk, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
5. Burns (VCU) d. Hadziselmovic, 6-3, 6-1
6. Bunea (VCU) d. Luc, 6-3, 2-6, 10-8

Sleepstream
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Nice post and analysis. I'm not that good at remembering what happens during matches.

I can't wait to see them play this weekend against Boise St. It is unfortunate that two of Clemson's better players are injured.

Did you notice if Alexandra Luc was double faulting quite a bit? And what do you think of her backhand?

SCSI
01-26-2009, 05:49 PM
It seems that Wong is a very solid and smart player. She will probably win many times this year. She probably has had lots of junior competition experience.

Luc didn't seem to double fault a lot. I thought it was impressive for her to go for her shots even under pressure situations instead of playing negative tennis. She had decent one handed backhand but it wasn't exactly text book style. Not too bad, considering she is a net rusher.

SCSI
02-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Sleepstream, did you go watch the matches over the weekend? Anything noteworthy?

Sleepstream
02-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Sleepstream, did you go watch the matches over the weekend? Anything noteworthy?

Unfortunately, I could not make it to the matches.

I will try to make it to the upcoming matches this week.

I may try to find out how much longer the two injured players are expected to be out.

SCSI
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
ok, thanks. Looks like there will be many more good matches will be played at home. Hopefully, the injured players will be back in action soon. They will be needed for sure.

Btw, I haven't paid much attention to the guys team in a couple of years. Do you know how they are doing?

Sleepstream
02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
2-2 so far for the men.

Nothing amazing that I saw from their season opener at home.

SCSI
02-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks. Well, perhaps, they are not having as much success in recruiting as the women's team...

SCSI
02-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Just looked at the their web site, it looks like they just lost to lowly W&M. Does anyone know what happened to the mens team? I guess before the foreign players invasion, they had one of the best programs under Coach Chuck Crease (sp?) in the country. I have his book "Coaching Tennis" and liked it a lot. Again, so much of college tennis is about having top recruits, it seems.

ClarkC
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
2-2 so far for the men.

Nothing amazing that I saw from their season opener at home.

#63 William and Mary beat #60 Clemson 4-3 in Williamsburg. Clemson does not look competitive with the ACC top half.

cmb
02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Who cares! College tennis is nothing more than European Club tennis!

And your point is?

SCSI
02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Actually, the level of tennis in college tennis in the US would drop to club tennis level, if we didn't have these good European players come over and play here.

Unfortunately, American kids don't train as hard and the quality of coaching available in the US is poor overall with many pros still teaching 70s and 80s technique. BTW, don't give me the customery "top athletes here play other sports" thing. How would you explain about women, then? Also, top atheltes over there play other sports, too.

Anyway, I personally enjoy high quality tennis played at college level. If you don't like it, don't bother watching it or talking abou it.

Tennisabc
02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
what do you think about upcoming match against Georgia??
oh and btw i think that they have a great trainer, i heard she really doing a great job.

chrisplchs
02-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Actually, the level of tennis in college tennis in the US would drop to club tennis level, if we didn't have these good European players come over and play here.

Unfortunately, American kids don't train as hard and the quality of coaching available in the US is poor overall with many pros still teaching 70s and 80s technique. BTW, don't give me the customery "top athletes here play other sports" thing. How would you explain about women, then? Also, top atheltes over there play other sports, too.

Anyway, I personally enjoy high quality tennis played at college level. If you don't like it, don't bother watching it or talking abou it.

I don't think the level of college tennis would drop to the club level but rather that there would be a larger disparity between the top teams and the others. Remember when Stanford ruled the world in college tennis because they got all the top American players and Baylor was a nobody? Now, a lot of men's teams can compete and some can even beat Stanford while Stanford women's are starting to be caught up by everybody else.

Foreign players help out schools who have not been traditional strong in tennis for various reasons. Whether it is because of lack of talent in state, perception of academic values, poor location, foreign players will take anything openings.

BlasterMind
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I never see too much of their trainer...who is she again? Oh and GA is a tough team this year with 2 freshman I think, but Clemson may have more talent.. I don't know...it should be a great matchup.

SCSI
02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
not familiar with GA, but with two players out for Clemson, they are not as strong as usual in doubles and they are somewhat soft at #3-6 with the the exception of Wong at #4.

Sleepstream
02-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Bad loss to Georgia this weekend. I really think the injured players would have made the difference. I really need to find out when the coaches expect them to be back in the line-up.

BlasterMind
02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
How are you going to find out? Ask the coaches?? Anyone want to discuss what happened during the GA match? Also, whats next up for Clemson?

SCSI
02-09-2009, 06:13 PM
It looks like starting in the previous match againt Furman, Clemson changed their lineup a bit. They moved Wong up to #3 and Balda down to #4. Luc started at #5 and Hadziselimovic down to #6.

I wasn't there, but it looks like Mijacika beat yet another top 10 player and stayed unbeaten. I expect her to be the #1 player soon. She doesn't do anything particularly impressive with huge serve or groundies, but she is just a very good athlete with lots of variety and seems to just know how to win.

Bek lost in three. She is currently ranked #10, but her ranking will drop a bit, since she has lost a couple already to lower ranked players.

Wong could be an anchor player at #4 or lower but she could lose at higher position as she did last weekend. Her style will be best suited at #4, IMHO, especially when playing against top ten schools. Again, having a couple of players out really hurt Clemson, it seems.

My guess is that Henry will be out for a while. I have no idea how long van Adrichem is out. Since it is her last season, I hope she will be able to come back in action soon.

I guess they will be playing at the ITA National Indoors event this weekend. It would be very interesting to see how they do there against other strong teams.

Feb. 7, 2009

CLEMSON, SC - Clemson junior Ani Mijacika defeated her third straight top-10 opponent, but the #11 Tiger women's tennis team fell just short in its upset attempt of sixth-ranked Georgia on Saturday afternoon at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center. The Tigers (5-1) won the doubles point for the fifth time this season, but the Bulldogs (5-0) won four singles matches for the 4-3 victory.

Fourth-ranked Mijacika won the first set over #7 Chelsey Gullickson, 6-2, before the Georgia freshman eked out the 7-5 win in the second. Mijacika then downed Gullickson in the third set, posting a 6-1 decision to remain perfect in singles play during the dual season at 6-0.

Fellow junior Estefania Balda was the only other Tiger player to pick up the win in singles on Saturday as she rebounded from a first-set loss to defeat Monika Dancevic at flight four (4-6, 6-2, 6-2).

Clemson teams won matches at the top two doubles positions to take the 1-0 lead in the match. Mijacika partnered with Keri Wong to down Georgia's duo of Yvette Hyndman and Gullickson, 8-1, at flight one, while Josipa Bek and Ina Hadziselimovic defeated Dancevic and Nadja Gilchrist by the same margin at the second spot.

The tandem of Balda and Alexandra Luc fell to Naoku Ueshima and Cameron Ellis at flight three, 8-3.

Hyndmann and Gilchrist won their singles matches at flights two and three over Bek and Wong, respectively, to score the Bulldogs first two points and narrow the Tigers' lead to just one. Ueshima then defeated Luc at the fifth position (6-2, 6-1) and Hadziselimovic fell to Ellis at flight six (6-4, 6-1) to secure the win for Georgia.

Clemson will return to action on Friday as the Tigers open play at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Madison, WI.
#6 Georgia def. #11 Clemson, 4-3
Doubles
1. Mijacika/Wong (CU) def. Hyndman/Gullickson (UGA) - 8-1
2. Bek/Hadziselimovic (CU) def. Dancevic/Gilchrist (UGA) - 8-1
3. Ueshima/Ellis (UGA) def. Balda/Luc (CU) - 8-3
Singles
1. #4 Ani Mijacika (CU) def. #7 Chesley Gullickson (UGA) - 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
2. #100 Yvette Hyndmann (UGA) def. #10 Josipa Bek (CU) - 7-6(4), 6-4
3. #44 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. #111 Keri Wong (CU) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
4. Estefania Balda (CU) def. #101 Monika Dancevic (UGA) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. #123 Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. #117 Alexandra Luc (CU) - 6-2, 6-1
6. Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Ina Hadziselimovic (CU) - 6-4, 6-1

BlasterMind
02-11-2009, 03:26 AM
Yeah it looks like the Tigers play Cal Berkley in the opening rounder at the ITA Indoor Nationals. According to last year, they didn't win their opening round. Hopefully this year will be different because they have gotten off to a stronger start than last year.

SCSI
02-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Blastermind, do you know what time the match is and also is there gonna be a way to watch the match?

ClarkC
02-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Times are listed on the draw (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/Women$!27s+National+Team+Indoor/Womens_Draws.pdf). Clemson plays Cal at 3:30 CST.

The singles matches in the early rounds are played using only 3 courts, meaning two different rotations of singles.

I don't see any live video links but the Wisconsin site could put them up in the morning.

Sleepstream
02-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Big upset today.

#14 Clemson beat #4 Georgia Tech, 4-3

Ani Mijacika didn't play, unsure of the reason right now since I forgot about the match.